• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iurobz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I was at a LGS yesterday when I ran into a guy who said he was trying to sell his xds45 but they were low balling him with a $250 offer. I asked him what he was looking to get and he said $600 from an individual but he'd take $400-450 from a shop. Is it common to run into people selling at gun shops? Should I have pushed him for the gun shop price?

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    If you wanted it i guess you should have made an offer sir. (outside the shop)
    He's not getting 600 but 250 is a little ridiculous too.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    wanting 600 used is about as crazy as getting 250. we sell them new for 529 when we have them. 250 is a bit low for one in good shape with everything. athough now everyone in there brother is tryin to sell stuff so buy prices are dropping a bit.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    It would have been uncool to offer inside the shop (as the poster above said), but if I had been interested in the gun in question I probably would have said something along the lines of "If you can't make a deal you like, I'd be interested. I'll stick around a bit, in case you'd like to talk after".

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    For a good reference on used gun pricing, take 15% off the MSRP. For a retail sales offer take the MSRP and cut it in half and add 15%. Not entirely accurate, but Ive done the math before and figured this much out. For example, $550 MSRP pistol (give or take) X .5 = $275. Add 15% of MSRP = $83. 275+83=$358 for a approximate cash offer. Used price on the shelf is 550-83=$467 (or at least in that ball park).

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I wouldn't disrespect the LGS by offering to purchase the gun. They might have a good reason for lowballing. They might know history on the guy or gun. Respect one lost is hard to recover from.

Iurobz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Glad I didn't push to buy it. The whole thing felt a little wrong to me. Thanks for the insight.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I wouldn't disrespect the LGS by offering to purchase the gun. They might have a good reason for lowballing. They might know history on the guy or gun. Respect one lost is hard to recover from.

That's kind of a ridiculous statement. How is it disrespecting them? Are they entitled to that customer's business? I'll answer that for you... no, they are not. They need to earn his business, whether he is buying or selling. Offering him $250 doesn't sound too respectful, when they are going to turn around put at least $450 on it's price tag in the case. They are certainly free to offer whatever price they are comfortable with to this guys, just are they are completely free to put whatever end price they want on it in their display case. However, the customers are just a free to reject those prices if they don't think they are a good enough deal. Going even further, why would he care what respect that shop had for him? If they want his business, they will treat him well. Gun shops, just like any other business, work to earn the business of the customer, not the other way around. I certainly wouldn't want to shop in a place where I have to grovel for the privilege of giving them my money.

Anyway, it is probably a bit gauche to conduct a private sale inside a gun shop, unless you are utilizing the shop to run a background check on the buyer. However, you certainly wouldn't have been out of line to give the guy your phone number or e-mail address and tell him you might be interested in purchasing it, if he decides he doesn't want to accept the gun shop's offer (though his idea of a good price for his XDS was pretty out there as well, you can buy them new for about $500 right now).

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    There are some shops that will do you right however the rule with a lot of shops is to offer around 60-70% for what your firearm is worth as a used gun. Unless it's have to I would recommend putting a fair to you price and try the classifieds here or GunsAmerica etc. Sure you might take a week but you will probably fair better.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Maybe the XDs was a pre-updated gun. The store may have not wanted to go thru the ass pain of sending it off. Maybe they have a million of 'em in the back they can't move. Either way $600 for a used XDs is insane! And never do deals with customers inside the store, that's just rude!:noway:

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    legally speaking any firearm sale on ffl property has to have a backround check done unlees it is a transfer to another ffl. it is rude to overbit a deal in progress but not rude to ask the guy to buy privately after after a deal cannot be struck between the shop and the gun owner. then just do the transfer though the shop. helps protect you anyway buy getting a good bill of sale from the shop as well.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I think it's funny that he would tell you he expects $600 from a private sale, but that he would be willing to accept $450 from a shop. If I wanted it, I would have waited until he left the shop, then in the parking lot talk about it and make your offer. But then drive to a different location to do the transaction, that way shop employees/owner won't know for sure if you ever bought the gun.
    And I would not have offered him more than $450. In the case of that particular firearm, you may have to be the one to send it back for the recall work.
    But it is very poor etiquette to make an offer in a shop, even if you are a regular and feel comfortable doing so. You never really know what the owner or employees are really thinking, and you may loose respect in the shop. And if they ever gave you deals in the past, they may not on future purchases.
    As far as an XDS goes, I would only want that in 9mm anyway. I don't think you really missed out on anything. Like someone else stated,for around $500 you can buy a brand new one that probably has the upgrade done to it, if you buy it from a shop that does a lot of volume (Bradis comes to mind).

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Tagged for interest. Once saw Scott from Albros go full-cave man on a guy tried to sell a gun to a by-stander in his shop. Think I wet myself a little and he wasn't even mad at me.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    The shop certainly has a right to get upset about a sale going down inside their store (as mentioned above, there are legal ramifications). But giving the prospective seller a phone number or email to conduct a private sale off site should be fine.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    legally speaking any firearm sale on ffl property has to have a backround check done unlees it is a transfer to another ffl.

? What constitutes FFL property? In the shop? In the parking lot?

I understand the etiquette aspect, but i didn't realize the location of the exchange changed the laws/requirements associated with it and for the parties conducting the transaction, even when the gun has never been logged in the FFL's books and is part of a private collection, etc.

Last edited:

Walt G

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Hendricks co
    I'm betting it didn't have the recall performed and dealers in general don't want to hassle with it unless there making good money off the gun.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Saw a reg make such a breach of etiquette this week in a shop..........bet his deals aint as good in the future.
    For a measly hundred bucks the guy wipes out yrs worth of cred.

What a dumb*ss.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    legally speaking any firearm sale on ffl property has to have a backround check done unlees it is a transfer to another ffl. it is rude to overbit a deal in progress but not rude to ask the guy to buy privately after after a deal cannot be struck between the shop and the gun owner. then just do the transfer though the shop. helps protect you anyway buy getting a good bill of sale from the shop as well.

Can you cite the federal law that says that?

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    For a good reference on used gun pricing, take 15% off the MSRP. For a retail sales offer take the MSRP and cut it in half and add 15%. Not entirely accurate, but Ive done the math before and figured this much out. For example, $550 MSRP pistol (give or take) X .5 = $275. Add 15% of MSRP = $83. 275+83=$358 for a approximate cash offer. Used price on the shelf is 550-83=$467 (or at least in that ball park).
    I hate to pay 15 percent below msrp for a NEW gun. My 686 is the only gun I've bought new, and I shopped around until I came in at 18 percent off msrp out the door.

Top Bottom