• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    First of all, I hope everyone had a good holiday weekend and ate way too much. That said, I have a story to tell. Feel free to leave feedback on how I handled the situation.

After I woke up from my turkey induced coma on Thursday, my father and I scoured the adds for great black Friday deals. Neither of us really had a lot on our list but we went in the early morning anyway, just for the fun of it, plus the father-son bonding time is sort of an annual tradition. We got his items first as we thought they would be in higher demand, then went to a local sporting goods store to pick up my Christmas present to myself. An H&R Pardner Pump 12 ga.:rockwoot:

Later in the day (after a nap) we decided it would be a good idea to test out my new toy, *cough* I mean home defense Tool... So I needed to run to the nearest store with a sporting goods section to get some oil and ammo. This is where things got interesting.

There we were, picking out which oil I wanted, Hoppes #9 of course, and a box of Remington target loads, when this, what looked like, a thugged out meth head comes strutting up to us. I'm not one to judge on appearances, but this guy fit the bill. Scrawny, I'm talkin' Skin & Bones, dirty face and nails that looked like they had been chewed off, flat billed hat turned to the side, puffy jacket, and pants that rested somewhere between his crack and his knees.

He comes up to us and asks if he can use one of our cell phones. He was very polite, so I was polite right back. I asked why he didn't try to use the store's phone if it was an emergency (in his explanation that I left out. Apparently he was picking up a prescription for his girlfriend, and needed to get in touch with her, but his phone wasn't working.) He explained that the store wouldn't let him. The whole time he had his left hand in his jacket pocket.

My father and I looked at each other for a second and I nodded, hoping he would get the point that I wasn't giving up my strong hand to this potential threat. My father got the point and being the considerate man he is, pulled out his phone and asked the man what number he needed to reach. We weren't sure why (we had some ideas later), but he paused for a second and looked like "That's not how this is supposed to go". He complied and gave my father the number. As my dad was handing this guy the phone, I pulled back my jacket to ever so slightly reveal my EDC (just a PF9 in a nylon holster, nothing special), and this young man turned to me and immediately looked at my hip. Almost simultaneously, he pulled the phone away from his ear and said it was going straight to voice-mail. He then returned my father's phone and turned tail and all but sprinted away from us toward the end of the aisle. As we both breathed a sigh of relief that nothing had come of that, he pokes around the corner and says "Thanks," and proceeds to discuss guns, ammo, and other nonsense that he had no clue about (talking about guns he had owned that didn't exist in the caliber he was claiming)

All in all, not a horrible experience, just an eye opener for my dad. He doesn't carry and never will, but he did admit that he felt much more comfortable that I had mine. I honestly didn't know what this guy was thinking/trying to pull (if anything), but it shook us up. Our first thought was that he was trying to take the phone, but why would you approach two guys obviously shopping for firearms equipment and try to take the phone. Next we considered that he was running some sort of scanner to pick up personal information form the phone, something I would have no clue how to do or to check. But, after we calmed down, and discussed it, we came to the conclusion that, at the very least, we helped this guy out with an emergency without the need to draw my weapon. ......

Then we blasted the crap out of stuff with the 12ga. :ar15:

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I posted about a similar incident on another thread a few weeks ago. A dude approached a friend and me on her front porch and asked to use one of our cells to call his "Aauntie" who had just sent him a telegram. I told him no in no uncertain terms and he left, crossed the street and went between two buildings and got into the passenger seat of a car driven by another person. They then quickly left. I'd also like to know what kind of scam this might have been.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    they want to use your phone to call 1-900-HOT-LOVE.

Seriously, they call someone who then knows your phone number because of caller ID and they can then get info on you from the phone company and start the ID theft process.

Never let anyone "use" your cell phone.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    they want to use your phone to call 1-900-HOT-LOVE.

Seriously, they call someone who then knows your phone number because of caller ID and they can then get info on you from the phone company and start the ID theft process.

Never let anyone "use" your cell phone.
    Thanks for the explanation. I never thought of that. Rep inbound ;)

El Guero

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2011
    Nw Indiana
    Yes Ortega, Be carefull, is not for the phone is for the info, i had to experience that myself just because i am a nice guys, but i was not any more once i get a phone bill for 1400 the next month for calls to some countries that i dont even oknow they existed. changed my number and i had to negociate very hard to get them off the bill. since then
    not even my son use my phone, i get **** when the girl call me looking for him, because he dont answer., not related to this situation but anoying once they get you number.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Glad he decided to turn tail and go find another mark. Although it sounds like he may have been issues getting everything he wants out of the pharmacy and there is a reason they turned him away.

FWIW my answer would be "Nope, sorry my battery is dead" if the matter is pressed it's make some noise and get attention on me and if he escalates I've got means of force to end it. I haven't had the cell phone stunt, but so many times I've been asked for change or solicited on the way in and out of walmart (there's at least 3 at one local walmart that seem to peddle for a living)

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Your EDC changed his mind pure and simple, I love when that works. Many years ago when I was living near Seattle Wa, I had to drive through an area of Tacoma Wa, called the "Hilltop" on business and the local habitants of the area hasd decided to RISE-UP against people with lighter skin, whom they may have thought at the time were repressing them. I just happened to be passing through while this group was playing Occupy Wallstreet late 1980's style, and got caught up at a red light, adjacent to their march against the man. Thoughts of the LA Riots eairlier that decade, and the truck driver who was nearly beaten to death by the underprivleged,disadvantaged, un-understood people(s), went through my mind as a few pounded on my car hood as they crossed the street, smacking (lucky for them a company car) with sticks and fists. Well............this good ol boy from Detroit, was gong to about to do two things, one unzip jacket and display Glock 19 9mm in shoulder holster worn that day just in case I met unfreindly folks that or any other day, and if the group surrounding shouting and smacking the company car got any worse and didn't respect Mr. Glock, to punch it, drive through the light into the clear over the crowd, and get a Bosworth Burger (don't ask).

But.........that didn't happen, one of the best sighted in the bunch looking at me through the windshield lets call him Mr. Gold Toofus, loudly exclaimed "He's got a gun"!?! (I was hoping he ment me), and the group smacking the car quickly stoped what they were doing, and rather quickly crossed the street. Light turned green, and away I went, minding my own business. Never ddi get a #44 Brian Bosworth Burger.

Sometimes it pays to carry!

PS, hey Plink I am in Fishers too..........quickest and favorite ammo and gas stop for me is the 96th st Wally-mart, is that where you met Mr. Methmouth?

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    @ Steel Core, I was visiting my family up in Hartford City, and we were at the meijer in Marion when this happened. I live, probably, 5 minutes from that walmart. I will actually go home first, after work, and come back in an hour or so, just to avoid the rush. It is completely packed after work... It took me an hour to pick up a box of ammo one day.

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    Be aware that there are certain numbers that one can dial that will cause the calling number to incur a charge to be added to one's (or someone else's) cell phone. International numbers are notorious about this and, the real bad part is, you won't know about this transaction until you get your phone bill. I have loaned my phone to folks in need, but I always dial the number for them. Obviously, I don't know if your "new friend" was legit, but if you make dialing for them your SOP, you'll never have to question their intent. Just my 2 cents...

Top Bottom