• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I really do appreciate the ideas you all have shared. I'm learning a lot. I have been around guns for a long time, but have only gotten serious about guns as a hobby in the last several months. I'm having a blast. Literally.

RyanV

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    La Porte County
    Neocon gave some great advice, follow that and you will do well no matter what ammo you shoot. As an aside, rmcrob, what range do you go to? I've been looking for a decent one around Plainfield that I can shoot centerfire rifle at.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I shoot at the Danville Conservation Club. They allow rifles at 50 and 100 yards. There are also handgun lanes at 15 and 25 yards. The only deal with handguns is that no rapid fire is allowed.

I wouldn't really call it close to Plainfield, though.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I have also never found wolf to be incredibly accurate. Perhaps that is not what I mean....I have never found it to be consistent. I use it once in a while to "plink" with as it is cheaper if I am just out having fun with non paper targets.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    Wolf is very accurate out of my AR's. Have never tried it through a bolt gun.

Do you know what twist your barrel is? Was the Black Hills 55grain?

I have a Savage 10FP in .308, and I know it did not shoot well with Mil-Surp 7.62.

Perhaps the chamber/freebore of your Remington is cut more for .223 rather than 5.56?

I'm not a bolt gun guy....

PFS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Great Information

I had heard that Wolf was not the best. This sort of confirms it. The other thing I had heard is that it had a varnish or somthing on it that could cause gumming? Any truth in that?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Wolf can gum up the bolt actions, however, they have greater camming power, so the action doesnt stick. However, deposits form at the throat, causing some inaccuracy on occasion. Heated well enough, it varnishes big time, making it very difficult to remove the deposits. One can damage their barrel by getting pissed at these deposits and attempting a more aggressive method of deposit removal (do not do this). Wolf is more suited to semi autos. In addition, huge inaccuracies can be found in Wolf (particularly in bolt guns from what I hear) as the powder burns a little more consistently in bolties, excasebating the powder VARIATIONS in Wolf which give it it's trademark "inaccuracy" (though I agree with sjstill, its always worked VERY well for me in my ARs and such).

In some regards, with more and more tendency towards heavier weight projectiles in .223, lots of guys new to the bolt game try to shoot projectiles that WONT be stabilized in their rifles. Even if enough theoretical velocity is attained due to longer barrel length to stabilize the projectile on paper, doesnt mean that the rifling wants to. Some 1/9 can stabilize 75, most cannot. Its a barrel preference.

Also, firing a 5.56 round in a .223 chamber isnt usually the end of the world (some folks do it) but they also mostly report terrible accuracy. Its just not designed for it.

Top Bottom