• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    My cousin just left my house; he came over to show me an issue with his gun.

He has a Taurus model 85, in .38 special. He was attempting to load some dummy-round snap-caps into it for some dry fire practice, and the rims on the dummy rounds somehow got UNDERNEATH the extractor bracket (forget the actual terminology.)

So he came over, and I got the dummy rounds out, but when I was looking at it, I noticed the cause of the issue.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/5F-PqXlOCCPq0mcTEYy-mdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Here it is loaded with live rounds, without the extractor extended.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/yeHjVRf-DEHMftAlgJEnINMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Here it is with the same rounds, but with me holding the extractor in. You can see that the three bottom rounds have all tilted themselves away from the extractor, and the bottom-most one, at least, is resting on the SIDE of the extractor, and not on its face. I can only assume that the rounds he got stuck managed to slip underneath it from a point like this.

Now, I realize that this problem is entirely solved by not using the extractor while the gun is pointing down, (pointing it up would mean that all cartridges would fall out before they had a chance to get stuck like this,) and I don't see any other odd or unusual wear on the gun. My question is, is this a common problem? Common sense tells me that as you pull the rounds further and further out of the chambers, they will have a tendency to angle a bit; but should they be able to angle this much?

I have a model 605; same thing but in .357, and a bit newer, (and much less used,) than his. I see that one of my casings tilts a bit when the extractor is extended like this, but not nearly to that degree. Can anybody else take pictures of their extractors so we can compare?

Thanks! I told him I'd do some research; I figure who better to turn to than the experts here at INGO?

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I had similar situation with my 851, like you said you don't push the extractor with the barrel pointed down, it won't happen. The extractor rotates so it will give the shells enough room to wiggle underneath the extractor. I don't think it's a design flaw or excess wear... you're just using it in a way it's not intended to be used.

Top Bottom