• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    I've been on the road (read: air) around the US this week and my next to last leg was from Abilene, TX to DFW, then home. I've had one of my EDC's with me the entire week since every state I've been in is Indiana reciprocal.

When I checked in for my flight in Abilene about 3 hours ago, I declared my firearm like always. The ticket agent was training another agent and had him give me the card to sign certifying that the firearm was unloaded, which I did. He then told the trainee that he should have me open the suitcase and also the gun case. This is rarely ever required, but I complied.

He then told the trainee " Have him open the slide so you can see that there is no bullets in there" (Actual words). I said "Hold on, Ace. You want me to rack the slide on this firearm ? You understand that will engage the firing pin ?" His puzzled look made me add " Cock the trigger". He replied " What difference does that make ? It's unloaded isn't it ? " :ugh:

I asked if he was going to provide a sand barrel for me to discharge the firearm into. Again, a puzzled look. When I protested, he said if I don't comply, I don't fly.

Monday morning I will be on the phone to American Airlines. This can't be SOP.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I have never had to do that. Only flown with Delta when checking a firearm. Did you tell him you can just pull the slide back a little bit and put a flashlight into the chamber, if he looks down the barrel he will be able to see that there are no bullets. That is the beauty of unloaded and guns Mr. agent, they can never hurt you.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Sounds like the trainer was trying to impress the newb with his "mad knowledge" about firearms. Did he ask about the pointy thing that goes up or how many clips it held?

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I completely understand and agree with your concerns in this situation. However, in the interest of full edification of those that may need it, I'd like to hear your opinion of what the proper procedure should have been in this situation. This is not a challenge, just a simple question.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Standard practice in the past from experience and having worked for United Airlines:

Passenger-As required by law I am declaring a firearm in my luggage.

Agent-Which bag is it in, is it unloaded?

Passenger-This one, yes.

Agent-Please fill out this form. (A sticker, bright red with the words "CONTAINS FIREARM" boldly across the sticker.

Passenger-Here you go.

Agent-Please place the sticker in the case that contains the firearm, lock it, place that back in your luggage and lock it, have a nice flight!

Passenger-What's the purpose of the sticker if it's inside the locked case inside the locked suitcase?

Agent-Federal regulations requires the sticker be filled out and witnessed by an agent of the airline. Preventing it from being stolen is why it is inside the case(s), United Airlines policy.

Passenger-uh, ok!

Notice the firearm was not removed, coon-fingered or cocked unnecessarily.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    I completely understand and agree with your concerns in this situation. However, in the interest of full edification of those that may need it, I'd like to hear your opinion of what the proper procedure should have been in this situation. This is not a challenge, just a simple question.

Funny you should ask. I'll not only provide my opinion, I'll provide the response I got from the gate agent here in Indy when I landed, not more than an hour ago:

SOP is, once the customer declares that he/she has a checked firearm, the agent is to have the customer fill out a "Firearms Unloaded" certificate like the one I attached here. (This is from my flight today). The agent is to place the card in the customer's suitcase so it will be visible to the TSA. THAT'S ALL !! They are not to remove the firearm or ask the customer to do so. If they feel that something is not right or they feel their safety is in danger, they are to summon a supervisor and / or law enforcement.

As for my opinion, as someone who travels thousands of miles a year, often with a handgun, that's an acceptable policy. I have had a Southwest agent ask me to open the case to see that there was no loose ammo and the mag was out, but that's it. They never asked me to touch the pistol, let alone rack the slide in an airport terminal.

image.jpg

Top Bottom