• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    During a discussion with one of my friends from the other side of the isle, a thought occurred. Why is it that no one has proposed that the current NICS be opened up to the public. Allow people to voluntarily run background checks on private sales without having to go through an ffl... The only conclusion we could come up with is that it didn't provide the government with their needed power fix...

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    During a discussion with one of my friends from the other side of the isle, a thought occurred. Why is it that no one has proposed that the current NICS be opened up to the public. Allow people to voluntarily run background checks on private sales without having to go through an ffl... The only conclusion we could come up with is that it didn't provide the government with their needed power fix...

I believe that Senator Tom Coburn of OK is working on bill that does just that. http://www.coburn.senate.gov/public...ecord_id=8147edd4-7225-41ab-8780-749e076817c3

Last edited:

Pointman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Bainbridge
    It occurred to me then I flushed it from my mind. I could imagine your local busy body neighbor abusing it, I could see employers abusing it, I could see fathers checking up on their daughters dates, etc, etc.

Were it used only for legitimate purposes and made voluntarily available I personally believe a lot of us would use it simply for peace of mind. Especially if trying to sell via an open online listing.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    It occurred to me then I flushed it from my mind. I could imagine your local busy body neighbor abusing it, I could see employers abusing it, I could see fathers checking up on their daughters dates, etc, etc.

Were it used only for legitimate purposes and made voluntarily available I personally believe a lot of us would use it simply for peace of mind. Especially if trying to sell via an open online listing.

Many employers already use a background check system, I've personally gone through a couple. Unless someone is able to obtain enough personal information, they wouldn't be able to use it.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg

Not that I'm really in favor of mandatory background checks when all the data we have shows that a tiny fraction of transfers were stopped and resulted in prosecution (something like .00004% of NICS checks were referred for prosecution by the FBI in 2010, out of over 14,000,000 NICS checks... basically a colossal waste of time, especially given the 72,000 false positives preventing law abiding Americans from purchasing a gun that day).

But, there isn't a whole lot the NICS system can be abused for. If you enter in all the data, all you get is basically either "Approved" or "Denied" and sometimes a "Delayed" response if they need further checking.

That doesn't really tell you anything. Plus, unless the other person volunteers a lot of info, including their SS#, you can't even guarantee you've checked the right person.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Ya know, I don't see why not. But, I would think that that each person with access to the database should be required to document why they did so, or have another party, willing to sign-off, present to verify nothing hinke is going on.

Pointman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Bainbridge
    Ya know, I don't see why not. But, I would think that that each person with access to the database should be required to document why they did so, or have another party, willing to sign-off, present to verify nothing hinke is going on.

Yes, I use them myself. But I pay a fair fee for them, too. For some reason I was assuming NICS would cost considerably less.

I could see incorporating low or no cost NICS access it into the C&R 03 and making the 03 process easier to deal with. Maybe "up to 3 calls a month" or some such included and bump the renewal a few $. I'm not necessarily advocating but thinking about what some collectors may be more than willing to do voluntarily.

An REAL solution requires that they use a carrot instead of a stick. Of course then we'd never believe the carrot was anything other than the stick painted orange either :):

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Sounds like more "we have to do something" to me.

Quite the opposite... I have been wondering why this hasn't been an option for a long time. I buy and sell private periodically and would personally like to be able to do it. I hate having to pay someone else between 20-100$ to make a phone call for me.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I think you all are worried about a problem that really does not exist,at least to any large degree. I wonder if anyone on this forum has had legal trouble because they accidentally sold a firearm to someone who used it in a crime.Probably few,if any. Do not allow media hype to cloud your logical thinking.Use common sense when buying and selling.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Where is the data that says this is a problem. I have yet to see even one story on this forum where someone sold a firearm in an individual sale and the firearm was subsequently used in a crime. I suspect from the absence of any postings that the occurrence is relatively tiny. I strongly believe this is an imagined and hyped problem that doesn't need a solution.

In God we trust - all others must bring data.

Top Bottom