• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gun_nut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Haubstadt. IN
    I placed a trail camera in the woods at the back of our property. Having recently purchased this land, I wanted to see what the deer herd in this area (Elberfeld) has to offer. I dumped 40 lb of shelled corn to see what would come in.

PICT0012.jpg

We call this deer "county dump" because of the trash on his rack.

The next picture was the alarming one:

PICT0026.jpg

It seems I have a nosy neighbor (Gladys Cravits from Bewitched comes to mind). My neighbor turned me in to the DNR for baiting deer. I had no knowledge of this till I pulled the memory card and found a CO in the picture. I called the officer and he informed me that there was no infraction as I have no tree stand in the area and have not been hunting over the bait pile. I assured the CO that I had no intention of hunting the baited area, and was merely trying to get some camera pictures. It seems I need to plant a lot of trees between me and my busybody neighbor. :xmad:

gun_nut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Haubstadt. IN
    The following week I had to have a surveyor come out and settle a property line/fence dispute. The result was in my favor. I guess she is a sore loser.

jjohnson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    The hypocrisy of some people. He trespassed, breaking the law, to turn you in. This guy should read up on what is legal and what is not.

volsfandan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Swayzee
    i can understand the neighbors concern over seein ya carry corn into the woods. I can also understand the c.o. checking it out. BUT, IT ALL COULD HAVE BEEN HANDLED IN A DIFFERENT WAY. the c.o. should have come to you face to face

gun_nut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Haubstadt. IN
    Had I not caught a picture of the CO, I never would have known about the visit. I think I should have been contacted regarding the visit.

deer hunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    The CO needed a warrant to legally be on your property. :dunno: If he thought you were baiting, then he should have gotten a search warrant to be on private property to check. He doesn't have a right to be there otherwise unless let on by the property owner.

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    The CO needed a warrant to legally be on your property. :dunno:

In the words of Waylon Jennings....... Wrong.

EDIT: After googling the name of the town I realized your a few miles down the road and I know the officer. I have a photo or ten of him laying around myself. Nice guy. I'll tell him that angle makes him look younger.

Last edited:

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Why would there be an infraction if there was a tree stand there? An object does not give cause. Or did you just explain it in a way that could get confusing? Either way, your neighbor sucks.

gun_nut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Haubstadt. IN
    The CO explained to me that since there was no evidence that I had been hunting over the bait (no tree stand or trees with climber marks), there was no infraction. Heck, there were no trimmed shooting lanes either.

GN

deer hunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    In the words of Waylon Jennings....... Wrong.

:n00b: Please show me the law that allows for a CO to trespass on someone private property. They are not above the law. They need a search warrant to go onto private property unless they are invited on by the landowner. The Constitution wasn't set up to exempt CO's. It protects us from unlawful search and seizure. A lot of people think that CO's have this power where they can do anything they want. That is just not so. They still have to abide by the same laws as any law enforcement officer!

tmattern

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    A CO does not need a warrant if there is probable cause to believe that there is a crime a foot. Please know the laws before you quote one on here! Thanks

Top Bottom