• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ANeat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    SW Ohio
    I use a 5 gallon bucket, 4 paddles are screwed to the inside to provide more agitation
    tumbler2.jpg

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    I was looking at it for the fact that it would be able to do wet tumbling and that it could have the weight capacity to use stainless media.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I was looking at it for the fact that it would be able to do wet tumbling and that it could have the weight capacity to use stainless media.

A cement mixer will do all of that for a lot cheaper.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I keep mine in my barn. I don't have my bathroom built in it yet but I have a hydrant and hose. I got a 3.5 cf mixer for $200. I currently use two 5 gallon buckets of cob and it will take a full 5 gallon bucket of 223 brass. I'll be switching over to ss media before long.

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    I keep mine in my barn. I don't have my bathroom built in it yet but I have a hydrant and hose. I got a 3.5 cf mixer for $200. I currently use two 5 gallon buckets of cob and it will take a full 5 gallon bucket of 223 brass. I'll be switching over to ss media before long.

So you just dump two 5 gallon buckets of corn cob and 1 bucket of brass into the mixer and go? Is there any cover on the end of the mixer? How long does it take compared to a vibratory tumbler? Thanks

I too am getting ready to go the SS media route, but I just bought 20lbs of Lyman Turbo Brass.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    So you just dump two 5 gallon buckets of corn cob and 1 bucket of brass into the mixer and go? Is there any cover on the end of the mixer? How long does it take compared to a vibratory tumbler? Thanks

I too am getting ready to go the SS media route, but I just bought 20lbs of Lyman Turbo Brass.

I run it open as I haven't made a cover for it yet. But in my barn, I'm not that concerned about dust. I run it for about 6 hours or so but I havent put any polish in the media. It definitely moves the brass around.

I burnt up a franford arsenal and Lyman tumbler before I got this mixer. It's a Chinese import so I have no delusions that it will last forever but cob and brass will put much less of a load on it than cement ever will. I should have no trouble replacing the bearing or motor should I ever burn them up.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Not trying to hijack the thread but where do you guys buy your SS media? I have been thinking about trying it out also.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    Hornadylnl,

1-1/4 Cubic Ft. Cement Mixer

Is this the mixer you have? I want to get one but I'm concerned about the long running time. Most of these things are for very light duty, and are only run for a few minutes at a time. I also wondered about the steel drum banging up and dinging the brass??? Bill T.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Just buy a tumbler intended and designed to do what you want to do. Save money, save hassle, works better.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Hornadylnl,

1-1/4 Cubic Ft. Cement Mixer

Is this the mixer you have? I want to get one but I'm concerned about the long running time. Most of these things are for very light duty, and are only run for a few minutes at a time. I also wondered about the steel drum banging up and dinging the brass??? Bill T.

I bought a 3.5 cf Tool Shop mixer from Menards.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I use a 5 gallon bucket, 4 paddles are screwed to the inside to provide more agitation
    tumbler2.jpg
    I built something very similar for less than $35. Do you have additional bearings for support or are you running on the stock bearings in that gear motor? If the latter you probably will ruin the gearbox eventually putting that kind of force on the box.

My tumbler has support rollers at the front edge of the bucket, and the drive shaft is a quick coupler so I can just pull the bucket right off the gearbox and dump it.

ETA, btw, you running wet? If so, what lid are you using? I absolutely cannot get my gamma seal lid to stop leaking. I talked to gamma's cs and technical people and they can't come up with a solution... they sent new seals to me at no cost but still no luck. My only thought is to get an o-ring with an oversized cross-section diameter so I can squeeze it down a lot tighter, but an undersized ring diameter so it pulls in tighter so it won't "squeeze out" so easily.

ANeat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    SW Ohio
    I built something very similar for less than $35. Do you have additional bearings for support or are you running on the stock bearings in that gear motor? If the latter you probably will ruin the gearbox eventually putting that kind of force on the box.

I just had to buy the lid for the bucket on mine......

The motor is a chip auger motor out of a Machining center, its got a hell of a set of bearings in it, I dont think I could ever wear it out.

I got it because it was going to get thrown away, it was replaced because the keyway was worn out, and Ive used it for almost 10 years now.

I put about 20 pounds of brass in it at a time dry, use walnut media.

I never cared for the idea of drying out the brass

Top Bottom