• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sigfanboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2013
    Why am I posting about my closet? Well here it is...

photo13_zpsdf16d997.jpg

Looks like a regular 'ol coat closet.

Lets take out the coats...

photo12_zps8fd73eb6.jpg

It's not quite done yet. I still need to finish up the drywall around it. After I add drywall around it you won't see the opening on top when the coats are in place. To get it in place I had to reroute some plumbing coming out of the slab (under it), tear out the wall since it doesn't fit through the door, and straddle a step on the other side of the wall. Getting it up a step wasn't the big deal, the problem was the step didn't span the entire width of the safe so I had to build a platform on top of the step.

Besides being well hidden, its pretty much impossible to pry open because there is only 1/2" of clearance on each side between the sides of the safe and the walls. That leaves cutting through the door or ripping out a wall to cut through the back. Once someone pulls out the cutters and/or torches, not much you can do without buying a safe with inch+ thick steel walls. I'm not terribly concerned about that scenario.

SilveradoII

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    I have got mine similar to that but not in a closet. It is in a corner with a wall on both sides. Haven't figured out just yet how to hide the front. Thought about a long piano hinge on the inside of a floor to ceiling bookcase that could be swung open. Any suggestions would be welcome...

sigfanboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2013
    The safe is 39"x24"x59". The closet is 40" wide and the door is ~30" wide. It's a nice snug fit.

The coats can be removed in 4 handfuls of hangers. So it's not a huge deal. What I want to get is a bucket for all the boots because they are a pain. It doesn't need to be super fast because my carry gun is always on or in a bedside safe while sleeping.

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    I think this is great for long time storage, but potentially a hassle if you're getting in and out of it often. I am in my safes just about every day. Nice work though.

sigfanboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2013
    The closet was there, but it wasnt deep. I ripped out the wall behind it and put the safe under the stairs behind the closet. So I had to rip out 2 walls for it.

I have made a lot of progress since my OP. I have drywalled around it so there are no gaps. I still need to mud and paint. When that is done I'll post more pics.

sigfanboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2013
    I think this is great for long time storage, but potentially a hassle if you're getting in and out of it often. I am in my safes just about every day. Nice work though.

My carry guns stay in the fast action safe by the bed. The most I'll be getting into this is once a week. Probably not that often since most of my training is done with my carry gun.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Ditto noobie!

I have a similar closet project but much simpler. I had a deep closet and was tired of reaching for clothes hung towards the back, as the previous owners had set up the clothes-rod. I used a steel square-tube security storm-door that a neighbor had pitched out, and made a door for my "safe." The hinge-side is anchored with blind 3-inch by half-inch lags into the stud every 6 inches, while the swing-open side has two same-key padlocks. Clothes hide the goodies and are on a pole that swings out as the safe-door opens. Anyone can see what's in the safe, but can't get any goodies in or out of it. I store ten or more guns there, and have no worries about dampness, etc. Took me all of an hour to install after I sketched it all out. I could make it "invisible if I cared to."
    Nice project! No burglar will find that...hopefully. Welcome to INGO, great first post!

Top Bottom