• ...and so much more!
  • USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    why not get cameras in your house (wired not wireless) and just sit up in bed and scan every room in the house? not expensive.

I just cringe when I hear about untrained people clearing their house. its very dangerous. then after your dead your wife and kids are next.

:yesway:

Get a dog. Clear your house only to get your people to safety. I know how to clear my house but if I have all my people accounted for I will not clear it if I don't have too. :twocents:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    :yesway:

Get a dog. Clear your house only to get your people to safety. I know how to clear my house but if I have all my people accounted for I will not clear it if I don't have too. :twocents:

thats wisdom and experience talking there folks. listen please. Life is too valuable to play Navy SEAL when we dont have too or know how too, or even if you do know. get everyone to a SAFE area where you can baracade yourselves. then if they try to come there shoot them. watching someone you love or care about bleed to death when you can do nothing to help is not fun.

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    I think you did fine, however, why not turn on a light? What are your arguments against it?

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    The weapon is an extension of all your senses and must work with all of them. Dont shoot at noise and make sure you chamber loudly as a warning.

Why give a warning? A warning is not required nor desired.

To rely on the BG fearing the sound of you chambering a round & running away is a very poor tactic.

I think the best course if you're going to go on a "hunt" is to keep it as stealthy as possible & as soon as a target is verified let them have it.

Any warning gives them an advantage. They now know you're there & where you are. It's best to keep ALL the advantages for yourself.

Also, I wouldn't even THINK ABOUT moving through an area where a BG might be without a round being chambered. My SD guns stay chambered at all times. I'm not going to HOPE I have the chance to chamber a round before I HAVE to use the gun.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    thats wisdom and experience talking there folks. listen please. Life is too valuable to play Navy SEAL when we dont have too or know how too, or even if you do know. get everyone to a SAFE area where you can baracade yourselves. then if they try to come there shoot them. watching someone you love or care about bleed to death when you can do nothing to help is not fun.

Exactly my plan as well. We're up 2 flights of open stairways so an intruder(s) will be visible to me looong before he knows anyone is in the house. Everything downstairs is just 'stuff' that can be replaced.

IUBrink

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    To all of those wanting to call the police, are you worried about the cops kicking in your door to clear your house or are you just hoping that them beating on the door will send the intruder running?

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    To all of those wanting to call the police, are you worried about the cops kicking in your door to clear your house or are you just hoping that them beating on the door will send the intruder running?

Its really quit simple. If you and yours are safe no need to play cop. If we are safe upstairs and I am pretty sure someone is in my house why should I risk going to find him. I can call 911 and stay on the phone untill the cops get there and yes they would have my permission to kick my door in. They should annouce themselves before comming upstairs.

jarheadcatfan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Georgetown
    I think you can rehearse these things over and over, but until it happens you never know what you'll do. Being half asleep shouldn't be an issue as adrenaline should kick in quickly. I'm in favor of keeping my protection close, as you described.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    i thought about mounting a flatscreen TV to the panic room door that repeatedly played a message saying DO NOT FIRE, GOOD GUYS INSIDE. :): ok im joking. to be honest if they fire on accident towards that room or door nothing will happen anyways. im ready, even for sucky shot police :D and maybe i even have a way out of the room :naughty: . i will not be muzzled :laugh:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

Part of our plan is that we will give exact descriptions of ourselves, as well as our locations in the home, to the police dispatch so that we aren't mistaken for an intruder with a gun. It is pretty unlikely that they will know who is who, unless I happen to be in my boxers and the intruder is has the stereotypical pantyhose on the head /ski mask costume.

In my example form the other night, it didn't progress to that point since we determined the house was safe and secure before police arrived. No sense in telling them that I'm walking through my house with a gun if I don't have to, but if they are coming in, I don't want to be shot by mistake.

tyler_durden

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Westfield
    I'm like alot of you. I will call the cops if I am sure someone is in the house that shouldn't be. Listen upstairs for few minutes before checking things out.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    As part of the "stay safe upstairs and call the cops" plan...What say you about the idea of keeping an extra garage door opener in your upstairs bedroom so you can effectively open the door for the Cops when they arrive? It would have to be in conjunction with staying on the line with 911 and basically having them inform the cops that it is an option for me to open that door if and when they want me to.
    If I'm so convinced that I have an intruder I'm not worried about them kicking in my front door. I also assume that there is an "opening" in my house somewhere already (broken window or door) since the intruder is inside. The idea of opening the garage door came to me while reading this thread and thought I would let the guys that have more experience shoot down my logic or speak into whether it would be an assistance to the cops or not. I assume they have com's with 911 adequate enough to effectively open my garage door within a second or two of passing the word along through the operator. Yes, I know, there are a lot of assumptions in my post...have your way with it.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    The inside cameras are a great idea. When I first moved into my current apartment it was winter and the whole thing was cooled by baseboard water heating. Something I never grew up with, so every 15 mins I was freaking out thinking I was hearing someone moving around downstairs. Went to the hardware store the next day and bought a set of wireless nightvision cameras that came with sticky mounts (can't put holes in the walls). Now im used to the water heating and can tell the difference between it and someone walking around, but being able to do a check of the house from my iPad in my room adds to my sense of security immeasurably.

shortyforty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    middlebury
    sounds like you did a fine job,i practice clearing my house with my wife our children are at the other end of house we both know where to go lines of sight and non verbal signals,911 pressed in on the cell phone but do not hit send,if it was a case of heard the window break someone kicking the door etc i would the the police first

shortyforty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    middlebury
    you have a right to not believe in god you also have the right to not believe in guns,but if someone kicks in your door at 3am the first 2 things youll do is call someone with a gun and pray they get there in time

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    As part of the "stay safe upstairs and call the cops" plan...What say you about the idea of keeping an extra garage door opener in your upstairs bedroom so you can effectively open the door for the Cops when they arrive? It would have to be in conjunction with staying on the line with 911 and basically having them inform the cops that it is an option for me to open that door if and when they want me to.
    If I'm so convinced that I have an intruder I'm not worried about them kicking in my front door. I also assume that there is an "opening" in my house somewhere already (broken window or door) since the intruder is inside. The idea of opening the garage door came to me while reading this thread and thought I would let the guys that have more experience shoot down my logic or speak into whether it would be an assistance to the cops or not. I assume they have com's with 911 adequate enough to effectively open my garage door within a second or two of passing the word along through the operator. Yes, I know, there are a lot of assumptions in my post...have your way with it.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to tell the police a description of you ans what you are wearing. This info should be passed along to the officers enroute.

patandhisruger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    this is how i approach this situation which has happened more than once...it all depends on how you feel and where your valuables are located...i was injured at the workplace so i had to move back in with my mother (im 26), not in the event of a home invasion, i could give two poos about the tv down stairs or anything downstairs...my main goal is the protection of me and her. so, i will not be traveling down the stairs for any reason until i have to...if a perp's intention is to steal something down stairs and leave i will phone the police (as much as it pains me to do), but if they are wanting to get upstairs to me or my mother they are getting blown away simple and plain...when something like this happens you have to set your priorities, and your first priority should be your family..NEVER leave them to fend for themselves when you are their protector. my second point is, stay at the top of the stairs. the only way a perp is going to have a chance to do harm to the people in my house is to come up those stairs, and that will not happen. stay close to what you are protecting and get to the place with the least amount of entries, so if your upstairs stay there.

and i also don't agree with those that want to treat the situation as a covert ops assignment...its good to be quiet and not give away your location when you are on a mission for the cia but in a robbery or invasion scenario i believe the opposite is a better deterrent. think about it, the goal is not to kill the intruder, that's your last option. the goal is to persuade the perp to gth out of your house. yell if you need to 'i have a loaded weapon and will use it to defend my family", or try loading you weapon so it can be heard (great with pump shottys)...just the sound of a firearm being loaded would be enough for me to flee with the quickness and find a mark that is not prepared to defend theirs.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom