• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    This is an interesting piece. Iran and Venezuela in bed together and old Hugo is planning on setting up some medium range missile bases, (that could reach the US). Of course the US is defenceless against missile attacks and has been for decades. I remember the late, great Harry Browne speaking about us needing a missile defence program, back when he ran for president. True defence against palpable threats, instead of continuous warfare against phantom menaces. Now it looks like there will be a threat right in our back yard and the government can (and will) do nothing. Multiple admins have dragged their feet on this one, now the chickens are at the door.

Iran Placing Medium-Range Missiles in Venezuela; Can Reach the U.S. :: Hudson New York

Preventing Future Terrorism

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Yugo, about as useful as the old car by the same name, hasn't been getting the media attention he wants. Somebody should pay him a visit.;)

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    So what who cares? We have no business sticking our nose into the internal affairs of other countries. If we did it would smack of our further attempt at a Global Empire.:rolleyes: If 'ol Hugo wants missles and can pay for them it's NONE of our business.:twocents:

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    your right lets attack the bay of pigs again.

i thought we had patriot missiles in place that would track and blow up these types of missiles? or are we still using Nike Hercules missile system

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    So what who cares? We have no business sticking our nose into the internal affairs of other countries. If we did it would smack of our further attempt at a Global Empire.:rolleyes: If 'ol Hugo wants missles and can pay for them it's NONE of our business.:twocents:
    You're actually correct, for once. He has as much right to defend his country as any other. We, on the other hand have a right to defend the US. Unfortunately, gop and dem politicians have both failed in the missile defence realm. Something that others have called for for many, many years.

Last edited:

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    You're actually correct, for once. He has as much right to defend his country as any other. We, on the other hand have a right to defend the US. Unfortunately, gop and dem politicians have both failed in the missile defence realm. Something that others have called for for many, may years.

Why... I'm ALWAYS correct, just ask me.:D

Dosen't defending the US sometimes require us to fight the "war" as an away game? Isn't that just common sense?:dunno: As opposed to waiting until "they" are landing on OUR shore?

I agree with you 100%, we have TOO many troops stationed around the world "protecting" other countries that need to protect themselves. Those troops should come home.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    This is an interesting piece. Iran and Venezuela in bed together and old Hugo is planning on setting up some medium range missile bases, (that could reach the US). Of course the US is defenceless against missile attacks and has been for decades. I remember the late, great Harry Browne speaking about us needing a missile defence program, back when he ran for president. True defence against palpable threats, instead of continuous warfare against phantom menaces. Now it looks like there will be a threat right in our back yard and the government can (and will) do nothing. Multiple admins have dragged their feet on this one, now the chickens are at the door.

Iran Placing Medium-Range Missiles in Venezuela; Can Reach the U.S. :: Hudson New York

Preventing Future Terrorism
    I haven't pulled up a map to measure the distance yet, but I thought it was more than 1,500km from Venezuela to the continental US. The 1,500km range WOULD include US interests such as the Panama Canal, though.

The other idea brought up at your link and the link where I originally read the story brought up the worry that this will allow Iran to circumvent current arms treaties by having Venezuela sell the arms to a third country and accomplishing the same goal as if Iran had sold it themselves.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Why... I'm ALWAYS correct, just ask me.:D

Dosen't defending the US sometimes require us to fight the "war" as an away game? Isn't that just common sense?:dunno: As opposed to waiting until "they" are landing on OUR shore?

I agree with you 100%, we have TOO many troops stationed around the world "protecting" other countries that need to protect themselves. Those troops should come home.
    Until they actually did something with those missiles and Congress declared a war on them we should do nothing, other than plan to defend against people who would lob missiles at us. Anything else else leads to debacles like Iraq. If they were to fire a missile at us and Congress did its thing legitimately, then you could fight a war on foreign soil.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I haven't pulled up a map to measure the distance yet, but I thought it was more than 1,500km from Venezuela to the continental US. The 1,500km range WOULD include US interests such as the Panama Canal, though.

The other idea brought up at your link and the link where I originally read the story brought up the worry that this will allow Iran to circumvent current arms treaties by having Venezuela sell the arms to a third country and accomplishing the same goal as if Iran had sold it themselves.
    Not quite sure what the exact range is on those missiles, but that plan to resell them doesn't sound implausible. I could easily see Chavez acting as Iran's middle man to skirt the embargoes.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    ...and, Iraq has weapons of mass destruction. :koolaid:

You know, I have to be really careful here. These kinds of comments just make me crazy.

Yeah, here's a picture of dead kurds from the WMDs that you deride. Have a good laugh over their graves.

GasedKurdsKNP_468x353.jpg

a562_kurds_gassed_halabja_2050081722-18673.jpg

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis

chavez is a major oil exporter...he sends a lot of oil through the canal...he has no plans to hurt it...

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Didn't we test fire some super awesome cool missle last year from Hawaii to show we could intercept some of the up and coming ICBMs? Obviously Hawaii is just the test range, but I was thinking we have or are developing something to defend against incoming missiles.

My guess is these are going to be used by Mr. Chavez as some more "negotiating tools." Its pretty clear where he stands on his feelings about the U.S., so I don't think he's gonna just sit tight and not say anything abou this new toys.

Starting to sound an aweful lot like the Cuban missle cirisis of a few decades ago, though. Hopefully we don't come as close to nuclear war as we did back then!

What also concerns me is that I can see Mr. Chavez helping stir the pot in Mexico. If he wanted to do some bad stuff to us, missles would do the trick, but so would sending some stuff across our very porous Southern border.

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    You know, I have to be really careful here. These kinds of comments just make me crazy.

Yeah, here's a picture of dead kurds from the WMDs that you deride. Have a good laugh over their graves.

aint nobody laughing...you can kill lots of people with small arms...mustard gas...conventional bombs...and other stuff...dont make that stuff WMD...

when we say WMD,,,we mean a warhead capable of leveling a US city sitting on a ICBM that can hit a US city...

Saddam never had those...not even close...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My guess is these are going to be used by Mr. Chavez as some more "negotiating tools." Its pretty clear where he stands on his feelings about the U.S., so I don't think he's gonna just sit tight and not say anything abou this new toys.

What also concerns me is that I can see Mr. Chavez helping stir the pot in Mexico. If he wanted to do some bad stuff to us, missles would do the trick, but so would sending some stuff across our very porous Southern border.

I think he wants them to thumb his nose at us and impress everyone with how tough he is. Maybe we could live with that part. I think the real problem will be the extra influence this will give him with the other countries through out Central and South America. He was already buying their devotion with his oil money. With this, he can also get their cooperation with fear if need be.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    aint nobody laughing...you can kill lots of people with small arms...mustard gas...conventional bombs...and other stuff...dont make that stuff WMD...

when we say WMD,,,we mean a warhead capable of leveling a US city sitting on a ICBM that can hit a US city...

Saddam never had those...not even close...

WMD is not now nor has it ever been defined as being just nukes. It includes chemical and biological weapons. Are you just being ridiculous or genuinely that uninformed.

Top Bottom