Iraq veteran throws his medals and quits the Marines.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Dude, I just donated a dollar to RIF in your honor (You should be happy, they are a liberal origination) You have no COMPREHENSION of what you read, apparently. and you say the poster is ignorant, yet insult my dead Marine Brother.. You change the CONTEXT, you change the meaning....

Let's discuss context.

I inserted the caption of the poster that you posted, in the context of your friend who actually suffered from it.

This was to illustrate how someone who has experienced the effects of PTSD would be offended by a poster such as that one.

I don't know what RIF is and I don't know how you define 'liberal' or how you decided that I fall into that category.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I have no personal experience with combat and the trauma's it can inflict. I signed up and 3 days later I had my car wreck preventing me from joining. My brother served 14 years in the Army and was in Iraq for 16 monthes from 2003-2004. Then fought in Afghanistan from 2005-2006 and again from late 2008-2009. All together he had almost 36 months in warzones. He killed people, saw friends get shot blown up and die right next to him. He himself was wounded a few times. He was never diagnosed with PTSD. He was upset that he witnessed these violent acts, but he also knew he had a duty to the men of his unit. My aunt asked him once at Thanksgiving dinner how he was able to deal with it and not have PTSD. His response is etched in my memory. "It was war. It's a fact people will die. You can either saulk in the corner and be depressed or you can get on with your life. I will always love and honor the brothers I lost and I choose to live life to the fullest for them." None of my family has ever asked him about war again.

As for the guy that threw his medals and basically said F you to the corps. That is his right. If that is what he wants to do then good for him for going through with it. Hopefully he will find peace.:twocents:

xanderphillips

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    I served with a few guys that REALLY didn't belong in the military. They didn't realize how bad a fit it was for them until they were already in. Anyone here know for sure what type of discharge you get if you 'quit', assuming you do it in a manor that doesn't jeopardize your unit/mission? I'd hope those guys don't get a "Dishonorable". Maybe an "Administrative"

Juggernaut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    Owosso Mi
    Let's discuss context.

I don't know what RIF is and I don't know how you define liberal or how you decided that I fall into that category.

context

[kon-tekst] Origin
    con·text

   [kon-tekst] Show IPA
    noun 1. the parts of a written or spoken statement that precede or follow a specific word or passage, usually influencing its meaning or effect: You have misinterpreted my remark because you took it out of context.

2. the set of circumstances or facts that surround a particular event, situation, etc.

3. Mycology . the fleshy fibrous body of the pileus in mushrooms.

A Synonym of Context is BACKGROUND... and by the CONTEXT of your post, I'd say you have NONE (Background) in the Military..

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Popcorn-11-Eddie-Griffin.gif

xanderphillips

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    That being said, I don't believe anyone should be saying f* the corps/military. A simple, polite "Sir, I can't handle being in the service, I need to be discharged as soon as it is safe to do so." will suffice. No need to be an a$$ about it.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I'm not even defending the guy, I'm simply saying I can understand why he would be angry about this topic and that mocking a mental condition that he is suffering from is as a result is insulting. Does that mean he should have done what he did? Well, that's really his call to make.

Juggernaut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    Owosso Mi
    You just posted the definition of a word and then completely mangled its usage in the very next sentence.

Because I'm a better at being a Marine than I am at grammar..
    I didn't join the Corps because I was good at english....

what's your point other than insulting dead service members and being a weenie?:dunno:

Juggernaut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    Owosso Mi
    I'm not even defending the guy, I'm simply saying I can understand why he would be angry about this topic and that mocking a mental condition that he is suffering from is as a result is insulting. Does that mean he should have done what he did? Well, that's really his call to make.
    No, but you DID insult Dead service members...

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    No, but you DID insult Dead service members...

I did no such thing.

You provided a definition of PTSD.

You said your friend had PTSD.

I attributed the definition that you provided to your friend.

You should also note that from the start, my point was to ensure that service members receive the respect they deserve instead of being mocked for legitimate mental damages sustained in service.

Juggernaut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    Owosso Mi
    I did no such thing.

You provided a definition of PTSD.

You said your friend had PTSD.

I attributed the definition that you provided to your friend.

You should also note that from the start, my point was to ensure that service members receive the respect they deserve instead of being mocked for legitimate mental damages sustained in service.

You admittedly changed the context, thereby insulting my dead brother...
    Stop backpedaling and take accountability. Your intent was not doubt to inflame and insult...

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    You admittedly changed the context, thereby insulting my dead brother...
    Stop backpedaling and take accountability. Your intent was not doubt to inflame and insult...
    It is lost on me why you would post that PTSD poster having a friend that is suffering from PTSD.

Stay classy.

Juggernaut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    Owosso Mi
    That's like making a racist joke among strangers and then saying "hay guys its ok, i have lots of black people in my context!'

The Race card??? really? Man you are typical...

Or perhaps a person who suffered at one point and time from alcoholism helping out another alcoholic..

& I would advise more caution than trying to illustrate your point around the graves of my brothers.

Top Bottom