Iraq veteran throws his medals and quits the Marines.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I served with a few guys that REALLY didn't belong in the military. They didn't realize how bad a fit it was for them until they were already in. Anyone here know for sure what type of discharge you get if you 'quit', assuming you do it in a manor that doesn't jeopardize your unit/mission? I'd hope those guys don't get a "Dishonorable". Maybe an "Administrative"
    Most likely honorable. If you didn't do jail time you aren't getting a "dishonorable" and I've seen some real screw-ups get "kicked out" with honorable discharges.
    It seems to me that a Marine would be offended by being called a soldier, but maybe that's changed since my mom (a master sergeant, USMC) retired.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Or mock them with idiotic posters.

It wasn't mocking. There's not a service member I've ever met who wouldn't "get" that poster.

I almost never do this, because I don't like trump cards. I don't think only cops can talk about what's right and wrong for a cop, I don't think only women have a right to talk about the right and wrong of abortion, and I don't think only soldiers should have an opinion about war.

That said, I think it's appropriate to discuss one's exprience when someone fundamentally gets it wrong. That poster and the attitude it expresses isn't mocking anyone, it's showing pride. The awesome part is tongue in cheek and it's spitting in the face of one of the many dangers that come with the job. It's like the one about only feeling recoil when you kill. It's an inside joke that you have to be a member of the club to fully understand, though some people seem to get it instinctively.

Just thought you should know.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Never let it be said that I passed up any opportunity to post this:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIQynsWpBpQ[/ame]

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'll just say that I've never met a Marine that made me regret my decision of choosing the Army over the Marines.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    I'll just say that I've never met a Marine that made me regret my decision of choosing the Army over the Marines.

Hopefully you haven't met that many Marines! Let it also be said that any representation of the Marine Corps made in this thread is a direct reflection of that person and the not the Corps as a whole.

Juggernaut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    Owosso Mi

I was Sooo bummed out when we "finally" got our new S.E.E. Tractors in..
    Only to see the remnant of what was white star on the door that had been freshly CARK painted over... LOL!!!

This video is not work/kid safe (Language)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fSvmWZZv4k[/ame]

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Hopefully you haven't met that many Marines! Let it also be said that any representation of the Marine Corps made in this thread is a direct reflection of that person and the not the Corps as a whole.

I have known several. Enough to know that the personality of the Corps is not mine. Even a Marine cook has it tougher than an Army infantryman don'tcha know?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I was a paratrooper, 82nd Airborne. My unit went to a Marine school, Amphibious Warfare School in Little Creek, VA. Basically, you learned to assault beaches, among other things.

I thought often how I much preferred to jump out of an airplane at 800 feet in the dark, then roam around the countryside ambushing truck convoys and such, while the Marines were fighting their way through concertina, landmines and machine gun fire from concrete bunkers.

Yep, I love me some Jarheads. :)

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If Leroy Jethro Gibbs were a real Marine, I'd leave for Marine boot camp tomorrow if it meant I got to serve under him. I don't dislike all Marines. I've known a few who I think are great guys. Just nothing they exhibit makes me envy them. Then there are those that make me grateful for my choice.

Juggernaut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    Owosso Mi
    Admittedly a bit edgy after laying a High School/ Brother Marine friend to rest.. FWIW...

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    The reason I posted this is because I think there are some fundamental flaws with how we treat our troops post-combat. I formed this opinion after listening to and reading books by Dave Grossman, who is an expert on the psychological effects of killing and combat. The fact that men are congratulated for killing people is not a good thing IMO. Killing, whether justified or not, is serious business. There should be a sentiment of "you did what you had to do," rather then "good job on taking a person's life."

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The reason I posted this is because I think there are some fundamental flaws with how we treat our troops post-combat. I formed this opinion after listening to and reading books by Dave Grossman, who is an expert on the psychological effects of killing and combat. The fact that men are congratulated for killing people is not a good thing IMO. Killing, whether justified or not, is serious business. There should be a sentiment of "you did what you had to do," rather then "good job on taking a person's life."
    LTC Grossman should stick with writing Fiction. :popcorn:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I was a paratrooper, 82nd Airborne. My unit went to a Marine school, Amphibious Warfare School in Little Creek, VA. Basically, you learned to assault beaches, among other things.

I thought often how I much preferred to jump out of an airplane at 800 feet in the dark, then roam around the countryside ambushing truck convoys and such, while the Marines were fighting their way through concertina, landmines and machine gun fire from concrete bunkers.

Yep, I love me some Jarheads. :)
    Yard Dart...

Top Bottom