• Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I am sometimes glad that I can be shocked by some stories. This is one of them:

Restaurant refuses Iraq War Veteran and service dog

While I could easily see the owners potential disbelief that the dog was a service animal, the vet had papers on him to verify the validity of the claim.

If someone opens a business they do so under the State & Federal laws, understanding before they even begin to operate that there will be rules placed upon them. This is why some businesses open at different locations, to avoid taxes or laws.

Beyond the legal requirements the actual treatment of someone who has need of assistance of any kind to be treated in such an appearantly condescending way is beyond belief.

Mr. Ireland is going to learn all too quickly the power of the internet and the damage one (1) single event can cause his soon to be bankrupt business.

It will be interesting to see how quickly he learns the error of his ways.

Regards,

Doug

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    As stated many times around this forum... it's a free market, and they can refuse service to anyone they wish... I think what he did is deplorable, but well within his rights...

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If a restaurant should be able to pick and choose its customers without government interference, how is this guy not within his rights to take that decision? Yep. He violated the ADA, but what gives the government the right to set those particular standards? I disagree with the owners stance, in this case, but then again I like dogs. Never thought I'd see a libertarian taking the side of the government on this issue.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    As stated many times around this forum... it's a free market, and they can refuse service to anyone they wish... I think what he did is deplorable, but well within his rights...

To Shadow8088,

And this is why people are shocked when they loose lawsuits. Almost NO business operating in American under the ADA can refuse to allow a service animal to accompany its owner.

Too many business owners have this mindset - that it is their business and they can hire, fire, serve, or refuse to serve anyone they want. WRONG!

When you form a business you agree to abide by all local, state, and federal laws. Don't abide, see what can happen.

Regards,

Doug

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If a restaurant should be able to pick and choose its customers without government interference, how is this guy not within his rights to take that decision? Yep. He violated the ADA, but what gives the government the right to set those particular standards? I disagree with the owners stance, in this case, but then again I like dogs.

To MrJarrell,

You and I and every other American living here give the government the power and authority, not right, to make such rulings. We certainly do not like all of them. Many of them are silly, foolish, wrong and/or wasteful. Yet we agree.

Don't like the law? Lobby to change, modify or appeal it. Want to change it by challenging it? Great! Have a deep pocket, a great legal team, and the intent to do so in the beginning so that you are surprised.

By the way, in my thinking of rights businesses do NOT have any! Rights are granted by nature and/or God to living, sentient organisms. As a business is not natural, it has no rights, only interests.

Regards,

Doug

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    if he refused service BECAUSE of his disability, then maybe the ADA kicks in... he had a problem with the service dog, not the disabled owner

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You probably don't even need gov't regulation to shut this jackwagon down. Enough bad publicity, some picketers (perhaps the Patriot Riders), that would likely be enough to bankrupt him.

What a tool.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    if he refused service BECAUSE of his disability, then maybe the ADA kicks in... he had a problem with the service dog, not the disabled owner

10 seconds with Google shows ADA covers service animals. PTSD dogs are even specifically mentioned as a type of service animal: "calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack"

Revised ADA Requirements: Service Animals

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Looks like a local restaurant will be up for sale shortly. Just like BehindBlueI's said... Enough bad publicity will shut this dive down in no time.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Hold on, Doug.

While the restaurant, the business itself, has no rights whatsoever, the owner is a man, a natural person, and does. He is within his rights to refuse service to anyone.

Choices have consequences. He may have made his choice and it will be expensive for him.

Good.

I agree that rights are granted by our Creator, not by government. I also think that MrJarrell is on point to say that the ADA law is an overreach by government. Many will claim it was "necessary" because of people like the restaurant owner. If it is, why are boycotts effective? If enough people boycott his place, he won't be in business to do this anymore. No law needed.

Again, good.

Blessings,
    Bill

To MrJarrell,

You and I and every other American living here give the government the power and authority, not right, to make such rulings. We certainly do not like all of them. Many of them are silly, foolish, wrong and/or wasteful. Yet we agree.

Don't like the law? Lobby to change, modify or appeal it. Want to change it by challenging it? Great! Have a deep pocket, a great legal team, and the intent to do so in the beginning so that you are surprised.

By the way, in my thinking of rights businesses do NOT have any! Rights are granted by nature and/or God to living, sentient organisms. As a business is not natural, it has no rights, only interests.

Regards,

Doug

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This is an example of an overreach of goverment, but the law is the law. The natural consequences would be worse than the penalty for breaking the law. But this happened in MA and I'm not all that confident that this will spark the same outrage.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    While I agree that he is within his rights to refuse service to whomever he wishes, I also agree that he is an unmitigated ass and feel there will be either an apology forthcoming or a business up for sale shortly.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    While I agree that he is within his rights to refuse service to whomever he wishes, I also agree that he is an unmitigated ass and feel there will be either an apology forthcoming or a business up for sale shortly.

Maybe, but in Massachusetts seems like there'd be a bigger chance for outrage if a gay couple with a service dog were refused service.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The owner of the diner has now apologized, either because he realized he was wrong or because he realized that almost everyone else thought he was a complete a-hat and he should probably do a quick about face if he wanted to remain in business and be a welcome member of the local community.Diner owner apologizes for turning away veteran, service dog - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

"I stand here in front of you embarrassed, ashamed, and I just ask for some forgiveness, that's all," Ireland said.

Ireland said he wasn't educated about PTSD and overreacted.

Read more: Diner owner apologizes for turning away veteran, service dog - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

Top Bottom