• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Springfield fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Seymour
    I grew up with irons and I am very good with them. I am saving up for a quality set of flip ups for my AR. The benefit optics give me is that with irons I have trouble aligning them from my weak side. With my eotech I have no problems. I will always love and use iron sights but I can't ignore the benefits of certain optics for certain situations.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    With my M&P15T, I got back to the iron, even tho M&P was stamped on the set, Troy Industry Battle sight are at the bottom of them. So I know they are quality sights. And I agree with get good with the iron, then get any optic you want. I am saving to get a AGOG for mine. But it can wait.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    as with any rifle, it is important to learn proper marksmanship. To do this it is important to "master" the irons for your weapon so that when/if your optics fail the firearm isn't rendered as a club. You should master your individual weapon with irons, the proper stances, the proper sight adjustments at various ranges, trigger control, proper sight alignment and picture, etc. THEN your understanding of the weapon and it's capabilities as well as your own capabilities will only be capitalized by use of a good optic. An optic is a suppliment, not a replacement. A typical AR can hit targets with irons at 500 yards with a good marksmen behind it and so you should be able to at least do the same with your firearm and irons before using an optic. Anything beyond that and the target is really hard to see without an optic. With the optic and 800 yards becomes relatively easy.

Garrett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I believe its hard to deny basic marksmanship skills. Learning to use your iron sights I believe should always happen first, and you should be able to hit 300m-500m(steel torso) with your iron sights in a prone position/bench rest. Then if you really feel the need you can jump into the optics world, which makes it a lot easier, especially after you mastered the basics, but make sure to always break out the iron sights to every once in a while.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    1. HD Rifle = irons
    2. 3 gun rifle = 1 - 3x scope with plain old qd rings.
    3. LR rifle = 4 - 14 power scope + aimpoint red dot offset mounted.

It all just depends on what you are going to use it for.

:dunno:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I can't imagine, given the wide world of absolutely hammer proof optics available today, that there are people still so technophobic to stick with irons.

Magnification? Wonderful stuff. Parallax free single plane focusing? Also wonderful stuff. i run a red dot, on my DG stalking rifle these days.

dannyb89

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 11, 2010
    Noblesville
    I can't imagine, given the wide world of absolutely hammer proof optics available today, that there are people still so technophobic to stick with irons.

Magnification? Wonderful stuff. Parallax free single plane focusing? Also wonderful stuff. i run a red dot, on my DG stalking rifle these days.

Haha... I have no fear of optics, its more that where I normally shoot, I only go out to 100 yards. It seems a little ridiculous to spend $400+ for an optic to shoot out to 100yards. I'd love to have an eotech, aim point, trijicon, etc, but seeing how my life doesn't depend on my rifle, I can't justify the expense.

mizzi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Broad Ripple
    learn on irons (BUIS, if your going to consider later additions) because you may have to rely on them, then add the scope and the sidemount reflex later as necessary or at your leisure.

that makes sense when you working with limited rail space, too. you put the irons on and everything after has to fit around/work with the BUIS.

or i could be wrong... i've been on a string of that lately!:rolleyes:

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    learn on irons (BUIS, if your going to consider later additions) because you may have to rely on them, then add the scope and the sidemount reflex later as necessary or at your leisure.

that makes sense when you working with limited rail space, too. you put the irons on and everything after has to fit around/work with the BUIS.

or i could be wrong... i've been on a string of that lately!:rolleyes:

Do not try to learn to shoot a rifle with irons. That makes no sense what so ever. I hate seeing people try to teach young kids on iron sights. When you teach someone how to play basketball you start with lay-ups, not three pointers. Why would you start with irons before a scope?

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Do not try to learn to shoot a rifle with irons. That makes no sense what so ever. I hate seeing people try to teach young kids on iron sights. When you teach someone how to play basketball you start with lay-ups, not three pointers. Why would you start with irons before a scope?
    :scratch: because irons are considered the basics.....from which you learn the principles of elevation and windage, sight alignment, sight picture, etc,etc .......could be perhaps a difference of opinion, but one should ALWAYS learn these through irons first...it's the way everyone should be taught to grasp these marksmanship concepts.....it's way I've seen everyone taught marksmanship, they I was taught and the way I and everyone I know teaches....with irons you should be able to hit man chest sized targets out to 500, beyond that you may not be able to see it well...and need an optic....but optics fail, batteries die, etc.....optics are an option, not a necessity...........it doesn't matter what kind of shot you're teaching your kid to shoot B-ball, you first need to teach them HOW to shoot right? hand under ball, bend the knees, follow through, roll the fingers, etc.....irons are the same thing...you learn the basics before advancing

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    A turret equipped scope can teach the same things about the path a bullet takes to a target, usually in a more direct manner. It does hide the particulars of bore direction changes in the way irons don't, if the shooter understands what the irons are doing when moved.

For someone who with the goal of rifle hunting, or target shooting in a discipline that doesn't obligate the use of irons, irons aren't the basics as they'll have no practical application.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Yeah is correct.

If you intend on shooting with irons, then you should spend time with your irons.

If you intend on shooting with a scope, then you should spend time with your scope.

This isnt afganistan.

The worst thing that can happen if your scope breaks is you have to drive home.

Its not like learning to shoot with irons is difficult......

go to an appleseed, shoot the weekend with irons, flip em down, and carry on.

I love the "Well if my scope breaks in COMBAT, I wont be able to shoot!"

Bullsheet.

Shoulder the rifle, line up the irons, shoot the guy.

This isnt rocket science folks.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    :scratch: because irons are considered the basics.....from which you learn the principles of elevation and windage, sight alignment, sight picture, etc,etc .......could be perhaps a difference of opinion, but one should ALWAYS learn these through irons first...it's the way everyone should be taught to grasp these marksmanship concepts.....it's way I've seen everyone taught marksmanship, they I was taught and the way I and everyone I know teaches....with irons you should be able to hit man chest sized targets out to 500, beyond that you may not be able to see it well...and need an optic....but optics fail, batteries die, etc.....optics are an option, not a necessity...........it doesn't matter what kind of shot you're teaching your kid to shoot B-ball, you first need to teach them HOW to shoot right? hand under ball, bend the knees, follow through, roll the fingers, etc.....irons are the same thing...you learn the basics before advancing

^^^THIS^^^

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    scopes/optics are fine tools....you can learn SOME of the basics with them, and others will be altered...but when at least half of weapons manufactured have irons it only seem logical to learn the basics with irons......if one wishes to be a very "specialized" shooter and focus on only one type of shooting or sight, then great if that's what makes them happy....but a good all around shooter should know how to use and understand BOTH

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Yeah is correct.

If you intend on shooting with irons, then you should spend time with your irons.

If you intend on shooting with a scope, then you should spend time with your scope.

This isnt afganistan.

The worst thing that can happen if your scope breaks is you have to drive home.

Its not like learning to shoot with irons is difficult......

go to an appleseed, shoot the weekend with irons, flip em down, and carry on.

I love the "Well if my scope breaks in COMBAT, I wont be able to shoot!"

Bullsheet.

Shoulder the rifle, line up the irons, shoot the guy.

This isnt rocket science folks.

That is why you should always have a set of irons(combat environment).....passing off one type of sight as "obsolete" or as "no practical use" is about the same train of thought as anti's saying we should outlaw guns because criminals kill with them...well, yeah ONE guy may use it for such but that doesn't mean EVERYONE will/should...one is no more practical than the other and a good marksman should be familiar with both...the only thing an optic does is extend your effective range and "fine tune" your accuracy a little depending on the weapon

Last edited:
    Top Bottom