• Is 300 Blackout Deer Legal

• Total voters

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    Topography and geography have nothing to do with why certain things are legal for deer hunting and certain things are illegal for deer hunting.

One only needs to look at the rest of the hunting regs to figure that out very quickly.

There aren't any restrictions for coyote hunting. None for groundhog hunting. None for hog hunting (not the hunting done at Walmart...) And, more specifically, no restrictions on caliber/weapon for squirrel hunting. I say it often, as do others, it is 100% perfectly LEGAL to hunt squirrel with a .30-'06. Don't you think that if the regulations were indeed set up with "safety" in mind that they'd also restrict cartridges for other hunting applications?

Because that bullet out of your old Springfield 1903 turns into magic pixie dust the instant you miss a squirrel, but that very same bullet turns into a heat-seaking destroyer of women, children, and minorities when fired at a deer.

-J-

I totally agree, well put.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    It's more likely the restrictions on firearms for deer hunting began when the deer population had effectively zeroed out and IN was attempting to restore the native population. At the time restricting weapons to bow and shotgun slugs meant less range and accuracy for the hunter making a kill more difficult, resulting in less deer killed each hunting season.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I think we're really going to see something big happen this time around... at least I'm hopeful.

I predict .35 Whelen performance. (180gr 2800fps, 200gr 2700fps, 225gr 2550fps) And maybe that's conservative.

To be perfectly honest, I'd rather hunt deer with a .25 WSSM, a 6.5 Grendel, a .260 Rem... or a half-dozen other cartridges... oh well.

I'm sticking with the .358 WSSM for now as it already exceeds my opportunities as a hunter.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Topography and geography have nothing to do with why certain things are legal for deer hunting and certain things are illegal for deer hunting.

One only needs to look at the rest of the hunting regs to figure that out very quickly.

There aren't any restrictions for coyote hunting. None for groundhog hunting. None for hog hunting (not the hunting done at Walmart...) And, more specifically, no restrictions on caliber/weapon for squirrel hunting. I say it often, as do others, it is 100% perfectly LEGAL to hunt squirrel with a .30-'06. Don't you think that if the regulations were indeed set up with "safety" in mind that they'd also restrict cartridges for other hunting applications?

Because that bullet out of your old Springfield 1903 turns into magic pixie dust the instant you miss a squirrel, but that very same bullet turns into a heat-seaking destroyer of women, children, and minorities when fired at a deer.

-J-

I am aware of the lack of caliber restriction on these other game and nuisance animals. I can not speak to what the actual line of thinking is in this, but it seems that the laws are not very well thought out. The only rational explanation I can think of is that it was thought, "No one would hunt squirrel with a 30/06, and that coyotes and groundhogs etc. are generally shot at greater distances requiring a rifle caliber bullet." There has been progress lately in other areas concerning firearms and some of the laws that just didn't make since maybe we can have hope that in the future some of these issues will be addressed and sorted out as well.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    It's more likely the restrictions on firearms for deer hunting began when the deer population had effectively zeroed out and IN was attempting to restore the native population. At the time restricting weapons to bow and shotgun slugs meant less range and accuracy for the hunter making a kill more difficult, resulting in less deer killed each hunting season.

I am aware of the lack of caliber restriction on these other game and nuisance animals. I can not speak to what the actual line of thinking is in this, but it seems that the laws are not very well thought out. The only rational explanation I can think of is that it was thought, "No one would hunt squirrel with a 30/06, and that coyotes and groundhogs etc. are generally shot at greater distances requiring a rifle caliber bullet." There has been progress lately in other areas concerning firearms and some of the laws that just didn't make since maybe we can have hope that in the future some of these issues will be addressed and sorted out as well.

The quote above yours is correct.

The restrictions that IN has on which weapons/cartridges to use on deer are holdovers from the time period when whitetail deer were reintroduced into IN after having been hunted to roughly zero viable population. Period.

And yes, of course hunting squirrel with a .30-'06 is a ludicrous idea. In my opinion, no one in their right mind would do it. That aside, it's still legal.

-J-

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City

The restrictions that IN has on which weapons/cartridges to use on deer are holdovers from the time period when whitetail deer were reintroduced into IN after having been hunted to roughly zero viable population. Period.

And yes, of course hunting squirrel with a .30-'06 is a ludicrous idea. In my opinion, no one in their right mind would do it. That aside, it's still legal.

-J-

There certainly does not seem to be any shortage in the deer population today.

vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN

-J-

Best statement I think I've ever read on here yet!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    What actually constitutes an AR pistol? Does the barrel length have to be under "x"? Mag size?

Mag capacity has no bearing in IN. SOME states, of course, limit mag capacity.

General rule of thumb for a handgun: overall length under 26"

In IN, to hunt deer with a handgun: Bullet diameter over .234", Min case length 1.16", min barrel length of 4.0", and must use hollow point ammo. And it can't have a stock, obviously.

-J-

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana

-J-

I've hunted squirrel with a 30-06.:): I take the 115 lead gr spitzer that the Marine Corp used to use in 30-40 Krag and put it in a ought six case with a little powder (Secret, I cooked this up on my own), and I can take squirrels and rabbits with pinpoint accuracy. They go down right now. Sometimes they even tumble a bit, but there's still enough meat left for eats. I tried 30 cal 75 grain pistol rounds once, but they keyhole. The 115grs are very light rounds, and shoot like a .22 out of the 30-06. They sit on a shelf in a box labeled "Earth Shakers! DO NOT FIRE!!"

Yeah. Guess I am a bit of a madman. :D

Reloading Rules.:draw:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've hunted squirrel with a 30-06.:): I take the 115 lead gr spitzer that the Marine Corp used to use in 30-40 Krag and put it in a ought six case with a little powder (Secret, I cooked this up on my own), and I can take squirrels and rabbits with pinpoint accuracy. They go down right now. Sometimes they even tumble a bit, but there's still enough meat left for eats. I tried 30 cal 75 grain pistol rounds once, but they keyhole. The 115grs are very light rounds, and shoot like a .22 out of the 30-06. They sit on a shelf in a box labeled "Earth Shakers! DO NOT FIRE!!"

Yeah. Guess I am a bit of a madman. :D

Reloading Rules.:draw:

You are THIS CLOSE to being my new hero. :D

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    You are THIS CLOSE to being my new hero. :D

Haha. It's the stuff most people don't think about.

They also make a 95 gr spitzer version but I have yet to be able to find that mould. If I could, I would definitely play scientist with that.

The 30-06 is, in my highly biased opinion, the most versatile cartridge that anyone can load for.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Haha. It's the stuff most people don't think about.

They also make a 95 gr spitzer version but I have yet to be able to find that mould. If I could, I would definitely play scientist with that.

The 30-06 is, in my highly biased opinion, the most versatile cartridge that anyone can load for.

From what little I know about reloading, I'd agree. I've read several articles & such where many people say the exact same thing.

Super light for varminting...

Or heavy-duty for all kinds of medium-bodied game.

-J-

lewisjt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.1%
    113   1   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Hancock Co.
    Thread revival; 16 in barrel upper on pistol lower. Still a handgun by definition?

IC 35-47-1-6
    "Handgun"
    **** Sec. 6. "Handgun" means any firearm:
    ********(1IC 35-47-1-6
    "Handgun"
    ********(1) designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one (1) hand, regardless of barrel length; or
    ********(2) any firearm with:
    ************(A) a barrel less than sixteen (16) inches in length; or
    ************(B) an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches.

By (1) I believe it would be.
    As ad

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Thread revival; 16 in barrel upper on pistol lower. Still a handgun by definition?

IC 35-47-1-6
    "Handgun"
    ********(1IC 35-47-1-6
    "Handgun"
    ********(1) designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one (1) hand, regardless of barrel length; or
    ********(2) any firearm with:
    ************(A) a barrel less than sixteen (16) inches in length; or
    ************(B) an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches.

By (1) I believe it would be.
    As ad
    Correct, I believe as long as it doesn't have a stock it would qualify as a handgun.

Oppugnall

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Greenwood, IN
    Digging thread out of graveyard.. Anyone see actual law or can tell me where to reference, as I found this synopsis from DNR own page, they specifically call out all .30 caliber ammo as illegal.

Handguns, other than muzzleloading, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long. Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted. The handgun must not be a rifle that has a barrel less than 18 inches or be designed or redesigned to be fired from the shoulder.

Handguns are not permitted on any military areas.

Some handgun cartridges that are legal for deer hunting include .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .35 Remington and .357 Herrett.

Some handgun cartridges that are illegal for deer hunting are .38 Special, .38 Smith and Wesson, .38 Colt New Police, .38/200, .38 Long Colt, .38 Super, .38 ACP, .38 Colt Auto, .45 ACP, .45 Automatic and .45 Auto Rim. All .25/.20, .32/.20 and .30 carbine ammunition is prohibited.

Top Bottom