• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have been in this discussion as I have 2 40's. I would as soon have them in a situation then either of the 9's in the safe.

That said I am a dyed in the wool 1911 guy hands down.
    I EDC a full size 1911 and feel fully confident in the 8 to 10 rds. it will pack.
    I have zero issues getting back on point 2nd shot but yeah, the 9 might be easier to manipulate. "But".............(always a butt) I want to throw hard from a big bore. Just that simple.

Oh, and please, I would rather not be shot by any of these.......:)

A lot of good info and some solid opinions.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I just want to say I am a fan of the 40 s&w.
    I love actual testing and data over opinions. The October issue of American Rifleman really drove home a point to me. On pages 42-43 it reviewed the new Sig premium defense ammo. The thing that stuck in my head after test firing .380, 9mm, .40 and .45 was the expansion of the .40 projectile. It was measured at .70 inches. It expanded more than the .380, 9mm and .45. Now, you can make data say whatever you want if you crunch the numbers a certain way but to me it speaks volumes.
    Basically, every one tries to show one cartridge is superior to another. I am just going to keep buying .40 handguns on the cheap, wait for another politician to try to take away our second amendment rights and reap the whirlwind selling guns no one wanted at twice of what i bought them for!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    In the bare gelatin testing we did here, the 9mm Speer Gold Dot 124gr+P expanded to .72" (12.5" penetration) and the Federal 147gr HST expanded to .77" (13.5" penetration). The .40 Winchester 165gr PDX1 expanded to .83" (14.25" penetration) and the Federal 180gr HST expanded to .95" (11.75" penetration).

There is a compromise in just about everything, there is no magic bullet. Any of the bullets I mentioned above will serve their intended purpose very well which frees us up to consider other factors like recoil and capacity while searching for a clear advantage.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... 9mm is the flavor of choice now. 45acp is a classic ...

We do know that the 9mm is the older cartridge and twice as much 9mm is mfg and sold worldwide than the next most popular handgun cartridge, right?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    We do know that the 9mm is the older cartridge and twice as much 9mm is mfg and sold worldwide than the next most popular handgun cartridge, right?

:yesway: and I shoot a lot more 9mm myself. But I really don't care what the rest of the world does. This is 'Murica and 45acp is a classic.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    .40, The only Caliber on the shelf when everything else was Sold Out. Like the 10mm it seems to have become the Red Headded Step Child.

That is one reason why I keep my old Glock 23 around. With a conversion barrel I can still shoot 9mm. I thought about trading it off on a Glock but figured why not just keep it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I don't want to limit my calibers. Yes, makes inventory harder.
    But, if you have 1 caliber, and that caliber is not available. ..

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I forget which ammo shortage it was, but it was what made me understand the need for the .40. Each time there is an ammo shortage, the most common calibers disappear first and reappear last. When I saw plenty of .40 long after the 9mm and .45 were gone, I realized that having only the most common caliber is not a great idea. 10mm takes that a bit further. During the last ammo shortage, when you could not find anything in 9mm, .45 and even after the .40 was becoming scarce, I was able to pick up a spare box of my favorite 10mm SD ammo.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    More for me. :rockwoot:

Hey, I had not considered that aspect.

So, yes. .40 is a dead round and everyone should sell all of their .40 handguns. But, since it may come back some day, gun shops should stock .40 in large quantities. Especially Hornady's Critical Duty round. Each gun shop should stock these by the thousands just in case .40 comes back on vogue some day. In the meantime, everybody should sell their .40 handgun because it's a dead round and will never come back in vogue.

:)

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Ballistics aside, why should you NOT buy a .40 if your not already vested in that caliber? Simply put, lower resale value and takes a longer time to sell it.
    Shoot whatever you shoot well. Shoot whatever ammo you have. I have never felt at a disadvantage using my 9mm and if you shoot someone with a .40 or .45 you probably won't be either. Just make your shots count whatever caliber your shooting. That's what stops the threat. And don't use Frangible bullets. If they fall apart they don't stop the threat as well.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I keep hearing that "modern" 9mm ammo makes the .40 S&W a lesser round. I do not get it, the new "high tech" bullet designs can only be made .355" diameter? What is stopping that new bullet technology from being made in another diameter, like say for example .401"? I also cannot figure out the "hard on pistols" answer. I have a Para Ordinance 16-40 that has spent most of it's life as a games gun. Lots of major power ammo blasted through it as fast as possible both in practice and in matches. Never any wear or breakage. If a pistol does not hold up in it's manufactured caliber, it would seem to be a quality or design issue with the pistol, not the round.

When I started it was 1911's in .45acp and Browning high powers in 9mm luger. I got a .40 late, but I have never seen anything wrong with it. If someone likes another caliber, that is fine, but opinion and preference does not make the round sub standard.

Sometimes the gun market is as trend following as the fashion industry.
    While I have steered new shooters to 9mm, that's because it's easier to shoot and with new bullet designs the difference in terminal ballistics isn't that great. I have no idea how that could make 40S&W or 45ACP inferior though. Like you said: "fashion trends"

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I am trading some 9mm for some .40 next week round for round and I couldn't be happier. Also (admittedly i haven't been shooting as long as many people here) I have never seen a handgun that was "worn out" from shooting. Does that really ever happen? Seems like a manufacturer defect instead of blaming caliber?
    after about 200,000 rounds the barrel bushing broke on a 1911 I had and sent the recoil spring down range. I went shopping for a new bushing instead of complaining to customer service.

Top Bottom