• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheFox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2020
    St. Joseph County
    I got into ARs during the 6.8 craze. I have several flavors. 10ish years later I don't hear anyone talking about it. Newer things have taken over. What are your thoughts?
    I'm not too worried about ammo because I have plenty of reloading stuff for it but I haven't seen much if any 6.8 ammo anywhere even before the shortage. IS it done for?

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Hard to keep up with the latest and greatest but more than viable for anything you want to do with it.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    It is definitely not done in my world. I absolutely love that round, and will start rolling my whenever I get my bench set up. The ammo is out there, just stupid expensive even for FMJ. I think the last bulk order I had was from American Reloading about 5 years ago and it was $0.65 / round then. Now the only problem is finding the .270 pills in the weight that I want.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Nope it's not done, it's just expensive. Really good round for the AR, bit will never be a mainstream round. You did it right, reloading is the way to go

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    6.8 dead? Dude, it might be the next big thing with the NGSAW!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIrWy9rIpu4

NGSW_Release_Official_Photo_SIG_SAUER-660x289.jpg

Devilpig

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2018
    Northeast Indy
    6.8 dead? Dude, it might be the next big thing

Oh no, not falling for that again. I built a 6.8 rifle when they talked about how SOCOM was going to be using it. I regret everything lol, I built a solid rifle but it's super niche unfortunately. Heard it's a good hunting round though but it'll never make it mainstream.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Oh no, not falling for that again. I built a 6.8 rifle when they talked about how SOCOM was going to be using it. I regret everything lol, I built a solid rifle but it's super niche unfortunately. Heard it's a good hunting round though but it'll never make it mainstream.

Who was going to use it?

NGSAW is Big Army, the people that buy guns by the warehouse, not by the 1s and 2s. "As used by the SEALs, the Blastamatic 3000 . . ." Lol.

Wait and see, but the 6.8 could be back from the grave.:whistle:

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    It's not dead. It is getting expensive to shoot, but what isn't.
    I took two deer with mine this year and last. Closest shot was 50 yards, longest 154 yards. The performance is there. I just don't think it will ever be mainstream. Too many new cartridges coming out and peoples tastes change.

The new military round is 6.8, but NOT 6.8 SPC. It's running at a lot higher pressure than the SPC. Also looking like it might be caseless. Lots of info at 68Forums.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    6.8 SPC isn't dead, but it is niche. In my mind, about anything where a 6.8 would apply, the 6.5G does that maybe just a bit better. At least for hunting and such applications and if you carry a spare bolt. it definitely has better bullets available, better brass, and more options. But as the OG cartridge designed to split the difference between 7.62 and 5.56 in the AR platform, it will always have a place and even 20 years from now will still be in circulation.

For a combat rifle where I wasn't loading my ammo for max accuracy and I cared about reliability a TON, I'd probably choose 6.8 over 6.5. I know they say that the bolts are holding up in 6.5G now, but my eyes tell me that super thin wall bolt can't be as reliable.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis

Yeah, I like my calibers like my investments - boring and mainstream.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    The performance edge, very mild edge, Grendel has over spc hurt 6.8 in the civilian market. Federal has a large investment in the round and will keep it alive as long as Saudi and Jordan are ordering it. Grendel isn't going anywhere though. It's pretty popular internationally across multiple platforms.

khayden65

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    United States
    Just bought a Rock River Arms complete Coyote Upper, looking into dies & pills to reload my own. Anyone have any experience with the Barnes TTSX projectiles?

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Just bought a Rock River Arms complete Coyote Upper, looking into dies & pills to reload my own. Anyone have any experience with the Barnes TTSX projectiles?
    Not firsthand. My understanding is the 95's are great. The 110's won't expand at 6.8 velocities.

I want ant to try them, but can't find any. I do have some 90 grain Gold Dots and 110 v-max. The v-max will be plinking and varmint rounds. The Gold Dots will be for deer and general purpose.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Who was going to use it?

NGSAW is Big Army, the people that buy guns by the warehouse, not by the 1s and 2s. "As used by the SEALs, the Blastamatic 3000 . . ." Lol.

Wait and see, but the 6.8 could be back from the grave.:whistle:

Their concept of a 6.8 is a 140gr bullet @ 3000fps from a 16" barrel, running 80,000psi.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I don't believe that any of these are using the 6.8 SPC. Each manufacturer taking place in the NDSAW program is using a proprietary cartridge.

Correct. However, the adoption of a 6.8 cartridge by the service will lead to an explosive growth in the variants of the caliber which will include the SPC (both specs).

Top Bottom