• ...and so much more!
  • Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I would go with 9. It's a good round, less expensive to shoot, more capacity in a mag. I've always had good luck finding it too. Remember to check online and the ammo thread.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I'll echo what others are saying on this thread. Good choice on the PX4 in 9mm. I'm sure it will treat you well as long as you reciprocate. On the issue of availability...in the Lafayette area it can still be difficult to find 9mm if you're like me and refuse to pay upwards of $20/50. I've never run out over the course of this year but there again I've not been shooting NEARLY as much as I would have. I won't say we're out of the woods yet but we're nearly there.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I am getting ready to buy a carry gun. I really like the Beretta PX4 Subcompact in 9mm (13 round mag). I have other handguns in 9mm also, so it would be good to use the same ammo. However, I was in Gander Mountain looking for something, and I was amazed to see how much of the .45 ammo they had there. I couldn't find any 9mm ammo there. (Maybe it is just temporary.) I thought 9mm was supposed to be the most common in the world. That doesn't mean anything though if I can't find ammunition. Most of the 9mm I found online was +P. That won't do me any good either.
    I am also looking at the Bersa UC 45 Pro (but only 7-8 round mag). The main reason that I am still considering the Bersa is because of the availability of ammo. The 45 cal ammo seems to be much more available.

I would appreciate hearing any opinions. Thanks.

I'll offer a somewhat different answer to your conundrum -- instead of deciding which particular weapon or caliber to buy for EDC based on the availability of ammunition, why not find out which weapon and/or caliber you can shoot effectively first? Having a nifty, concealable EDC weapon won't do you any good if you can't hit the broad side of a barn with it. There are some hot-looking little .45 ACP pistols out there that look great in the showroom and fit nicely inside a waistband, but unless you are capable of reliably putting the rounds into a decent grouping at a typical self-defense distance ... what good is it?

Just a different perspective, for what it's worth.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... I thought 9mm was supposed to be the most common in the world. ...

It is. 2x as much 9mm is mfg worldwide than the next leading handgun caliber.

It's also available. Just checked my 4 main online sources and they all have 9mm in stock. No problem.

Stock enough and you won't have to worry about transient market fluctuations.

Kentuckypilgrim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    I'm seeing plenty of 9mm at the Wal-Marts that I go to in Southern Indiana. I've pretty well stocked up and I don't go by and look as often as I did. The only thing scarce now is 22's.

Irishshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Avon
    I had a .45 and bought a 9mm because a couple of years ago 9 was plentiful and cheaper.
    Last year I bought a .22 pistol to keep costs down.
    This summer I bought a .40 s&w.
    Looking for a .357 next and then I will just buy whatever ammo they have in stock.

joliverjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2013
    Whiteland
    Availability seems to be regional. In Greenwood, IN, it is quite available. Gander has it regularly, but Walmart seems to every once in awhile, too. You just have to make a habit of looking for it every time you go in and be willing to wait the 10 minutes it takes to get someone to the sporting goods section to unlock the case.

Side note: I had a PX4 Storm SC. I found the LC9 to be more accurate, lower cost, and easier to conceal. Of course, I now prefer my Sig. Still, I thought I'd share that.

fordfarmboy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Morgan County
    I have 9mm glocks and I reload all my ammo for them .But to do it all over again i would get a 40 s&w and a 9 barrel and mag and then you have two guns in one Cal. 9 & 40 . I think glock and S&w M&p are like this and maybe others .I think this is the way to go .

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    I buy at least 300rds of 9mm a month and that just stopping in stupid Walmart BC it's 3 min away. And
    I pass on buying until I can get 100rd boxes rather
    than 50.
    I did the same thing staying with all 9mm.. till I get a
    1911 .45.
    There is one LGS having an ammo sale right now around here, Wulff's; I don't know brand or limit if any..14.99 per 50 I believe

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    When I started getting into guns, I decided to buy guns in the most popular calibers on the market. Therefore, I have 9mm handguns, .223/5.56 rifles, .22lr rifles/handguns, 30-30 rifles and 12 gauge shotguns. I figured there would always be ammo available for these guns. However, since Sandy Hook and the run on ammo, I have actually found this philosophy to be flawed. Basically, because these are the most popular calibers of ammo, they are the first to fly off the shelves. I went months without being able to find any 9mm, .22lr or .223....all the while there was plenty of .40, .45ACP, .380 .17hmr, etc on the shelves. Luckily, I had purchased a bunch of ammo in my calibers and had them in my inventory.

So....now that I know my philosophy is flawed, I need to decide:

1. Sell all my guns and replace with non-popular/common calibers?
    2. Stock up big time on ammo when it is available?

Needless to say....most of my gun money is now going to ammo.

Ottboys3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Indy
    I'm partial to the .45, but don't base your edc on capacity! Your not living in a war zone, and I assume your not a gang banger (LOL) base it on Comfort, Control, Concealability! Not Capacity!!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm partial to the .45, but don't base your edc on capacity! Your not living in a war zone, and I assume your not a gang banger (LOL) base it on Comfort, Control, Concealability! Not Capacity!!

On the other hand, once you find what you shoot well, carry as much ammo as you can comfortably carry. While the average gunfight might use less than 5 rounds, if you find yourself in a gun fight, the law of averages has already abandoned you.

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    I've not shot my 9mm much this summer/fall because I've been spending all my off time fishing. When I was shooting last year and late 2013 winter I was having a hard time finding 9mm. I've not bought 9mm since early spring. A few months ago I glanced at the cartridges at Wal-Mart and noticed some boxes of 9mm. I was shocked. A few weeks later I looked again and noticed some 9mm. A few days ago I looked again and saw four or five boxes of Federal 9mm for around $15.00 I assume they were fifty in a box but I did not check. Anyway, I just might have to get me a box or two and do some cold weather pop bottle shooting! I do enjoy shooting the 9mm.

Top Bottom