Is a 10/22 worth it???? or what is a better 22lr rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    The OP hasn't been here since March, probably made that decision long ago.

I enjoy a thread like this. IF anything new comes along or a gun slides under the radar then I get introduced to it even if it's just name recognition.
    I have 10/22s btw. I have one 10/22 I built up a bit but I prefer my Ruger American Rimfire for accuracy.
    I do have to say that a newer stock 10/22 or about ANY newer Ruger feels pretty cheap.
    I like a more solid rifle.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Here's the semi-auto .22 on the top of my list:
    512Carbine-500x333.png

CZ-USA CZ 512 Carbine - CZ-USA

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Not quite a necro bump...but I picked up a CZ 455 with the full Mannlicher stock yesterday. Took it to the range today and have to say it is more accurate than my eyes are anymore (shooting improved after I put on my glasses). Crisp light trigger. Accurate both off hand and at the table. And it looks great too IMHO.

As for the 10/22, I have shot them but I don't have one...in fact I don't own a semi-auto .22. For me the .22 is a varmint and practice round both of which require more patience than rapidity. I traded my only semi-auto .22 for a single shot before my son was old enough to shoot decades ago and we've put more that a few rounds downrange since then; but our focus is consistency and accuracy not spray and pray fun. YMMV.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    By heart and habit, I am a .22LR bolt-action guy, myself. And I also love the older Browning BL-22 lever guns.

As for .22LR semi-auto's.... I have had a couple each of 10/22's and Remington 597's. No longer own a 10/22 and don't see myself ever getting another (unless I peel off the cash for the $600 mostly-KIDD rifle that's now in our classified section). My personal opinion is that the 597 is inherently more accurate at 50 or 100 yards, than the 10/22. With the 597 tho, stay away from the older magazines. The "circle 10" mags are the only way to go with the Remmy.

All that being said, I am very pleased with my newly acquired Marlin 795, now wearing a Millet 3MOA red dot scope. Quite accurate (it's factory stock, no added features)..... and a great deal of fun to shoot. Good trigger, too.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    As title says, is a 10/22 by Ruger any good?

how much do you spend to make it great?

What's a better 22lr rifle?

current deals and production.

thansk, M

Ok. I finished my 10/22 a month or so ago. Not including the $140 I paid for it in the late 90's, I've got about $250 extra in it, not including the optic. Barrel is a used GM bull barrel ($90) a BX-25 trigger ($60), Tac-Star stock ($80), extended bolt handle($20) and a soft buffer (free). The receiver and the bolt are still stock. So I have $390 in it, not adjusted for inflation. That's about what a new CZ 455 runs. I really want one of them too. But I really love my 10/22.

sBd8lc1.jpg

I have a brand new Vortex 4x12 to mount on it yet.

Last edited:

JimmieG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2017
    South Bend
    I love my 10/22 too! Mine was given to me by a brother over 30 years ago. It's still going strong.

I love mine so much that my son got one last Christmas!

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I love my 10/22 too! Mine was given to me by a brother over 30 years ago. It's still going strong.

I love mine so much that my son got one last Christmas!

I got mine for Christmas around 1984 or so. It was a jam-o-matic from day one, but I still put a ton of rounds through it. About eight years ago I rebuilt it to make it a Liberty Training Rifle. Putting in an aftermarket extractor made a huge difference and it runs fine now. I wish I had done that earlier. I'll never sell it since it has a lot of sentimental value to me.

Top Bottom