Is American Eagle 223 brass as good as LC'09?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kimber7man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lawrence
    I've got a 223AI enroute, and need to pick up some brass. My bud just ran 600 rounds of American Eagle 223 ammo through his AR, so that might work. I am just curious whether it is as good as Lake City '09 brass?

Thanks!

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    There is a ton of great 223 brass out there for forming, but I can't say I've tried AE. I have a feeing it'll be fine.

LC gets contracted out and quality varies from great to just all right.

If I were you I'd try it and report back.

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    My experience with Federal brass is that it's comparably soft, resulting in the primer pockets expanding with warm loads.
    HighPower shooters wont use fed. brass because of what you mentioned,they most all use Lake City only . I tried to use Fed.brass and had to make all I had just plinking loads,and dont care if I pickem back up.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Has the AE ammo changed then? I thought this used to be in essence Lake City M193 that was rejected by the US military and/or rejected at the factory from internal Q.C. checks that were done before shipment. The stories I've heard range from slight cosmetic blemishes on cases, to velocity spreads being to high/low for the military contract, but in each case the ammo was perfectly safe for use.

IIRC, some of the Black Box AE ammo I shot after I first got my AR's a few years ago was LC brass. Either way, I've reloaded it a time or two already and haven't had issues.

I will also say that I have a lot of other brands of brass in my pile (probably 75% is various LC head stamps), so can't tell you anymore where my AE stuff is.

I will be sure to keep an eye on my primers though.

ETA: I found a few boxes that I hadn't shot yet, incluidng a box of AE Tactical Tracers (Red box but marked "Tactical"). Clealry marked with LC - YEAR - Nato Symbol. So, maybe the AE Tactical line is what I'm thinking about and the regular AE brand is commercial produced with FC cases.

Last edited:

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    My experience with Federal brass is that it's comparably soft, resulting in the primer pockets expanding with warm loads.

This has been my experience as well. I'll reload it once or twice then just let it lay or put it in the recycle bucket.

I never pick up FC brass at the range. As far as I know rifle brass is the one with the issue, I've had no problems with FC pistol brass.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have had very good luck with LC09 brass. I bought 1k of virgin cases online and necked them up to 6.5mm for my Contender. I had no neck splits in 1000 cases. I have loaded and shot 10 of the cases over 40 times so far with no annealing and the primer pockets are as tight as new.

vick1

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   1
    Dec 24, 2010
    Indiana
    brass

+ 2 Agreed.....

Top Bottom