• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Don't we need to have a discussion on how much S is hitting the F and how hard? Is it a moderate amount or is that a no kidding SH TF situation?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Don't we need to have a discussion on how much S is hitting the F and how hard? Is it a moderate amount or is that a no kidding SH TF situation?

This is INGO! Full blown zombie apocalypse, foreign troops marching in the streets, Hillary or Trump getting elected kind of stuff. Better buy two ARs and 10k rounds of green tip.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    This is INGO! Full blown zombie apocalypse, foreign troops marching in the streets, Hillary or Trump getting elected kind of stuff. Better buy two ARs and 10k rounds of green tip.

My hit ratio is exceptionally high, so my ammo needs are lower. If you saw how many guys I've taken out in my many years of online gaming you would understand.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I heard it doesn't even need a barrel. Just as long as you can still rack it.

Doesn't matter just make sure it is a double barrel.

On a serious note. Don't underestimate the versatility of a shotgun. Same can be said about carbines.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Yes it is needed because whether you are 15, 55 or 95 it shoots flatter and farther then your vision. It carries lighter when running away from trouble. It's designed to turn anyone into a marksman.

In my world, it's more likely I am going to go on a one way guerilla campaign for vengeance then enter into fire fights. I am old enough I don't give a ****, I just don't want to carry 10lbs of gun and 50lbs of ammo. Also, real problems like furry predators will require a bit more zip at 100 yards. Again, flat shooting is best when you only get one shot. For defense only, I think anything within reason works. It's more about sleeping well at night then it is using it.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    An AR "only" gives you 30rnds between mag changes; relatively high rate of fire; and if accessorized with a red dot holographic sight, fast target aquisition. Important for winning a gun battle but NO substitute for being way outnumbered.

I'd rather have 20 competent friends with bolt action rifles.

IIRC the rule-of-thumb is that you need 3:1 superiority to successfully attack an enemy that doesnt have an entrenched position

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    My first thought was I could hammer packs of dogs at 100-200 yards with my 5.56 AR. On a good day, I am a half way decent shot with my AR. If I found myself fighting mutant zombie bikers at contact distance, I can probably pour out as much firepower with that same AR as I can with anything else I own.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Cool!!

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    An AR "only" gives you 30rnds between mag changes; relatively high rate of fire; and if accessorized with a red dot holographic sight, fast target aquisition. Important for winning a gun battle but NO substitute for being way outnumbered.

I'd rather have 20 competent friends with bolt action rifles.

IIRC the rule-of-thumb is that you need 3:1 superiority to successfully attack an enemy that doesnt have an entrenched position
    I'll take 20 competent friends with ARs.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    SHTF- yep. AR is really hard to beat. At least in my neighborhood.

Zombies, however; are a totally different problem.
    1) fast zombies
    2) slow zombies

VERY different solutions. Slow zombies deserve a single .22lr to the brain pan.
    (Which might explain shortages )

Fast zombies? .223 minimum.
    Shotgun is really good in close.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I am going to make the argument that so long as you are in possession of a sound mind, no physical tool is indispensable. Many tools will make a job easier, often much easier, but do not stand as deal breakers. Otherwise, mankind would have expired long before the iron age.

The first problem is that you must correctly anticipate the nature of your future problem scenario, which given the sheer variety available in SHTF scenarios, is virtually impossible. Under such circumstances, most any tool you need will be available for acquisition from people who well deserve to become 'donors', although I will stand by general preparedness as it is much faster, easier, and safer than waiting for a well-equipped attacker that you can get the drop on.

The second problem is the perpetual argument about the 'right' tool that you 'need'. Why an AR15? Why not an M1A? FAL? AUG? Tavor? Galil? They are all quality guns that fill the same basic purpose and proving any one 'better' is strictly a matter of opinion.

At the end of the day, the first and most important round of prepping is installed between your left ear and your right ear. Everything beyond that is gravy. Granted, it can be game-changing gravy, but still gravy.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    An AR-15 is one of many different tools available to survive SHTF. The case can be made that location of where you intend to survive is a huge issue. Out in the middle of empty farm field Indiana, a 10/22 and bolt action rifle would be a good choice. Down within the I-465 ring, a survivor better have lots of friends, with heavy weapons, ammo, comms, food, clean water and ability and training to control their immediate area. Like the realtor says, it's all about location, location, location.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    SHTF- yep. AR is really hard to beat. At least in my neighborhood.

Zombies, however; are a totally different problem.
    1) fast zombies
    2) slow zombies

VERY different solutions. Slow zombies deserve a single .22lr to the brain pan.
    (Which might explain shortages )

Fast zombies? .223 minimum.
    Shotgun is really good in close.

Actually a chainsaw is the best zombie weapon. At least according to Mythbusters.

[video=youtube_share;Njx_h8vkPvk]http://youtu.be/Njx_h8vkPvk[/video]

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    A 9mm carbine would be fine. Contrary to popular opinion, a SHTF instance won't be a never-ending, running gun battle.

The prophet, Kutnupe, has spoken!

You never really know til you get there. You can best guess it all day long and then remember, if you want to get God laughing, tell him your plans.

Is it necessary? Maybe not.

Does the possibility exist that it will improve your odds? Maybe.

Prep with the best, most versatile tools you can afford. You'll rarely be sorry to have more capability.

Top Bottom