Is concealing ever supposed to be comfortable...?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    I'm not talking about the little pocket guns here. I'm talking the medium to full size pistols (or revolvers).

I had a S&W 659 for a short time but she was too big and fat to conceal comfortably. I now have a S&W 457 which is smaller and is easier. But it still sucks to conceal.

It's uncomfortable and with the weather getting warmer, sweaty :rockwoot:

This is why I usually OC 99% of the time. When I have to CC I just untuck my outer shirt or throw a jacket on.

Yesterday I bought a Galco tuckable holster for my 457. It's not AS uncomfortable as a small IWB holster but I still end up with an imprint of the holster in my skin and the gun is covered in perspiration.

Does it get easier if you're a skinny bugger? I'm around 250lbs or so and 6ft something and I know I need to lose weight. Or is it easier if you're a fat sum-beach?

Any thoughts? Is it the wrong combination of gun and holster? Can CC ever be comfortable (without using a stupidly small gun)?

David.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I don't think revolvers are comfortable at all. I CC at the small of the back and find it to be about the most comfortable place. I am usually carrying a full size Beretta. Still, sitting down, bending over, etc are not the greatest. By far the most comfortable rig I have for CC is a G23 with the little "belt clip" attachment that replaces the slide cover pate and the belt clip runs down the slide. No need for a IWB holster and the clip keeps it where it should be. Much more comfortable and don't need to worry about anything shifting.

D ReedSniper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    A friend of mine is about 6 foot and less than 160lbs. He uses a Bianchi leather IWB holster for a Tokarev and says it sucks to carry, especially when he has to lift his arms or bend over to pick something up.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    I carry a cz75 Compact .40 that is very comfortable in a tuckable IWB i picked up from Amish Made Holsters at the 1500. I am not a big fan of CC but when i have to it goes in that holster. Very well made holster that is basically a crossbreed clone. I forget its there while at work it is so comfortable.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I carried my Colt in a Bladetech, very comfy for me. Current fullsize Springer is in a cheaper IWB mini holster and is comfy.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I don't think revolvers are comfortable at all. I CC at the small of the back and find it to be about the most comfortable place. I am usually carrying a full size Beretta. Still, sitting down, bending over, etc are not the greatest. By far the most comfortable rig I have for CC is a G23 with the little "belt clip" attachment that replaces the slide cover pate and the belt clip runs down the slide. No need for a IWB holster and the clip keeps it where it should be. Much more comfortable and don't need to worry about anything shifting.
    The only problem with those belt clip deals that make people wanna shy away from them is there's nothing to cover the trigger guard.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Full size 1911 here; the belt and holster make all the difference in the world. I unholster when I drive though; while not UNCOMFORTABLE, I don't think there's much that can be done to make full size guns carried while driving all that comfortable except maybe a shoulder holster ( which has too many other issues for me).

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    to quote Clint Smith, "It's supposed to be comforting, not comfortable."

6' and 205. OWB is more comfortable for me. The sweaty part is probably a conditioning issue. Try a little Ban roll on under the holster.:D

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Actually from what I have read, it's easier for us "big guys" to carry concealed. I carry my XDsc in a Kholster for HOURS comfortably. I have gone almost 12 hours with it. The keys I have found for me are:

Position: 4 o'clock
    Good belt
    Pants that are slightly too big (by about one size)

I also OC a bit, usually when it is just a quick trip and thrown on my paddle holster.

Edit: Someone once said: "Carrying is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable."
    ..but I think it can be both.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    It's definitely not easier if you're skinny. The metal pushes against my hip bone, especially with the seat belt on. I don't know how cops ever get used to driving with those bat man belts on. I just bought a PF9 and an LCP to make life easier.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Just about always carry a medium to full size gun. Appropriately sized pants and a good belt are a must. Pretty comfortable with those two items for this guy of average body type (not too fat, not too bony, just right :) ).

One gotcha that I think makes a bigger difference than many people think, is pants that are too tight.

Just about all my pants are at least 1" larger than what I'd otherwise need to facilitate IWB carry.

joneser49

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 6, 2011
    southern Indiana (ohio river)
    with a good belt and holster the glock 26 honestly feels like keys in my pocket. I forget its there. You also have to realize that carrying is a lifestyle and you must get used to it. Im 5'11'' 240lbs. bianchi or crossbreed. hope you get something comfortable.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Just about always carry a medium to full size gun. Appropriately sized pants and a good belt are a must. Pretty comfortable with those two items for this guy of average body type (not too fat, not too bony, just right :) ).

One gotcha that I think makes a bigger difference than many people think, is pants that are too tight.

Just about all my pants are at least 1" larger than what I'd otherwise need to facilitate IWB carry.

I hear ya. I am not skinny and not fat, although I could stand to lose 50lbs or so.

My comfy jeans are probably a size too big and IWB with those is easier, although I still find the gun/holster presses into my hip bone when I carry it at exactly 3 o'clock. Usually I slide it down more towards the 5 o'clock position. Which then makes sitting in the car kinda uncomfortable.

However my OWB holster is fine. I usually leave that around 3 o'clock and driving is no issue since there's two layers of clothing between it and my skin and it just holds it away from my body better.

I don't mind putting up with a little bit of discomfort in order to carry, but I don't want it to become a chore so that I don't want to carry. The tuckable holster is something I'm trying out and so far it seems to work better and is more concealable than a traditional IWB for me.

Funnily enough though, I feel like I'm doing something wrong, or like I'm a criminal since it's completely hidden away - a feeling I don't get when OC'ing LOL. I prefer to have it out... giggedy.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    The only problem with those belt clip deals that make people wanna shy away from them is there's nothing to cover the trigger guard.
    So, something from one's buttcrack is going to creep up and squeeze one out? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

That doesn't bother me. One should know where their trigger finger is placed at all times.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    One thing I have learned to do, is always wear a T-shirt tucked in, so that the gun doesn't make direct contact with my skin. I also wear a button up shirt untucked, or jacket (usually both) over the T-shirt for concealment. My "pancake" style holster keeps the gun tight against my hip, and is the best I've ever used. The only time it really bothers me is when I have to sit or bend over, and the worst is the seat belt. I do the same as someone else suggested, moving the holster back to 5 o'clock, but it still hurts.

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    I carry either a fullsize Beretta PX4 Storm or a Glock G22 with a Crossbreed SuperTuck... After a few minutes I don't really notice either weapon IWB concealed. If you're having comfort problems these holsters are fantastic! However, since they are custom made they take a month to get but are well worth the wait.

Top Bottom