Is Fitness necessary in the Defensive Lifestyle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I didn't watch the video, I can guess at the content. I am surprised nobody has commented here. Perhaps that speaks for itself. Its easier to buy ammo and MREs than it is to maintain functional fitness. But I will say this.

Strong people are harder to kill.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I'm at work so can't watch the video just now. I agree with the above posters. It is probably the single most important thing we can do for ourselves, and for many of us, the last thing we do.

I know I struggle with this. I work a lot. My work keeps me in an office chair or the seat of a car most of the time. My diet suffers from it as well. I'm currently eating a pop tart because I missed breakfast and it was available in the snack area at work. I've started doing martial arts a couple times a week and that has made significant improvements, but still I'm out of shape by any real standard.

And I know it's all in the choices I make. It's definitely one of my weakest areas.

1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    I didn't watch the video, I can guess at the content. I am surprised nobody has commented here. Perhaps that speaks for itself. Its easier to buy ammo and MREs than it is to maintain functional fitness. But I will say this.

Strong people are harder to kill.

and more useful in general...

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    I'm at work so can't watch the video just now. I agree with the above posters. It is probably the single most important thing we can do for ourselves, and for many of us, the last thing we do.

I know I struggle with this. I work a lot. My work keeps me in an office chair or the seat of a car most of the time. My diet suffers from it as well. I'm currently eating a pop tart because I missed breakfast and it was available in the snack area at work. I've started doing martial arts a couple times a week and that has made significant improvements, but still I'm out of shape by any real standard.

And I know it's all in the choices I make. It's definitely one of my weakest areas.
    That's my catch up too. I'm a desk monkey(engineer) and have a 1 month old son. I don't have a lot of free time to just tell my wife, "Hey honey, im going to leave you alone with the baby for a few hours even though you've had him all day so I can go run a couple miles and train". Sometimes I'd like to do that, but it's just not plausible during the week. Im not overweight by any stretch of the imagination, but I am definitely out of shape compared to where I was just a few years ago.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    That's my catch up too. I'm a desk monkey(engineer) and have a 1 month old son. I don't have a lot of free time to just tell my wife, "Hey honey, im going to leave you alone with the baby for a few hours even though you've had him all day so I can go run a couple miles and train". Sometimes I'd like to do that, but it's just not plausible during the week. Im not overweight by any stretch of the imagination, but I am definitely out of shape compared to where I was just a few years ago.

I just got back from a hard 5k run, got my 3 year old to bed and booked it, you have the time if you make it, no excuses! You have very first thing in the morning before anyone wakes up or wait till everyone goes down for the night.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    I just got back from a hard 5k run, got my 3 year old to bed and booked it, you have the time if you make it, no excuses! You have very first thing in the morning before anyone wakes up or wait till everyone goes down for the night.
    That's what I needed to hear. I'm not a big fan of running, but that seems like the easiest/most practical way to get cardio taken care of.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Working out is much harder then running, I make my workouts suck so bad I look forward to running.

Try pull ups, burpies, jump rope, wall balls, kettle bells, anything hard, (youtube all the things I suggested) do a 45 min workout, then do a 15min. wide open kill season at the end where you do stop for anything but to puke. Count your reps, you will be blown away at the difference a month will make.

If you can't run then walk as fast as you can, if there are downhill sections then you can jog those, you will get faster each time.

Do the walk/jog mon-wed-fri and workout tues-thurs-sat/sun.

No excuses!!!

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    Working out is much harder then running, I make my workouts suck so bad I look forward to running.

Try pull ups, burpies, jump rope, wall balls, kettle bells, anything hard, (youtube all the things I suggested) do a 45 min workout, then do a 15min. wide open kill season at the end where you do stop for anything but to puke. Count your reps, you will be blown away at the difference a month will make.

If you can't run then walk as fast as you can, if there are downhill sections then you can jog those, you will get faster each time.

Do the walk/jog mon-wed-fri and workout tues-thurs-sat/sun.

No excuses!!!

Perhaps you may have gotten the idea that I was REALLY out of shape. I'm 6' and 180 pounds and am fairly athletic. I'm just not in the same shape(read: no endurance) that I used to be when I was in high school. Regardless, your recommendations still hold true. I will surely adapt most/all the above into a weekly routine. I also need to cut food portions down some as my metabolism isn't what it used to be as well, and I like to eat. Haha.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    My job is one of the rare ones that actually keep me in decent shape. In my mind, a defensive/sheepdog lifestyle is one that involves all aspects fitness & prep...not just using weightlifting or running to stay in shape (even though those are a great way to do it). The practicality of the training will determine its usefulness in an extreme situation.
    My current fix is BJJ. It keeps me mentally and physically sharp. Though I doubt putting a zombie in an Americana or RNC will do me any good. :dunno:

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Do what you can. Balancing work and family had me out of the gym for 7 years before I could get back into a fitness routine. As I age I notice it's harder to maintain, but I have a greater discipline in maintaining it. But hey, I grill and drink beer, veg out on Sundays, some days I eat that big 'ol donut and don't feel guilty about it one whit.

I go to the gym to live life, not live for the gym.

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

You can always take the baby with you.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/non-firearms-related/417720-jogging-stroller.html

*shameless self promotion alert

Top Bottom