Is it dangerous to tumble(vibration cleaner) live ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    I kind of collect oddball ammo, usually pick up a couple rounds at gun shows. I am pondering my own bullet board but would like to see if can make my old corroded ammo shinier or even new looking. Can I tumble it safely to see if it works? Any idea's on how to remove tarnish from old ammo?

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Yes, it's is safe to tumble live ammo. There have been some previous threads where people tested this by tumbling ammo for various lengths of time, up to several days, with no ill effects.

If you just want to polish a few rounds, I suggest any good metal polish. I personally like Simichrome.
    Amazon.com: simichrome polish

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I tumble my ammunition. No ill effects. I'll go so far as to say I theorize that tumbling my LSWC after loading may improve reliability a bit as it takes off the molding parting line on the bullet nose.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    the bigger concern most have is that the powder will somehow break down from being tumbled and change the burn rate from being vib tumbled, not so much a concern that a round will go off.

But I don't worry about that.... just think about mil ammo.... sitting for hours on planes getting shipped around the world (lots of vibs), then riding long w/ soldiers in vehicles (lots of vibs), you'd have to tumble for days to even simulate that.

tumble away.

I would, personally, avoid a rotary tumbler (eg cement mixer type) as that can cause the rounds to fall onto each other, and in that case they could get enough inertia to set off each others primers.... or at least I could see how that would be possible....

-rvb

Number9xd

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Ky
    Lots of people do it. I haven't (yet) but wouldn't worry too much about it, I usually go back in the house while mine tumbles (in the garage).

Top Bottom