1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I'm no expert, but here is what the State statute says:

IC 35-41-1-18.3 "Machinegun" defined

Chapter 1. Jurisdiction and Definitions
    Sec. 18.3. "Machine gun" means a weapon that:
    (1) shoots; or
    (2) can be readily restored to shoot; automatically more than one (1) shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.
    As added by P.L. 211-1997, SEC.1.

I don't know about federal law.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    4pos012f-250.jpg

This will be the next lower that I will buy for my MP5 clone. Its kind of poser like, but then again the whole gun is just for fun.

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    (2) can be readily restored to shoot; automatically more than one (1) shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.
    As added by P.L. 211-1997, SEC.1.

I would take that to mean that if it had the hole for the auto sear pin, that it might fall into that grey area. If it is like the above Spike's lower, you should be fine since the millwork is the same as a semi. :twocents:

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I would take that to mean that if it had the hole for the auto sear pin, that it might fall into that grey area. If it is like the above Spike's lower, you should be fine since the millwork is the same as a semi. :twocents:
    According to the latest (arbitrary) "ruling" from the BATFE, if a receiver has the pin hole in the proper position for an auto sear it IS capable of being readily converted to fire full auto. (The wording that I've seen is, "Once a full auto. Always a full auto.") They have confiscated several receivers and complete weapons in this condition. Their effort at the moment seems to be finding all of the de-milled AK type weapons that have the auto sear hole. I'm certain that AR platform weapons are also under scrutiny.
    The only way to be sure would be to get copies of the latest BATFE rulings and err on the side of caution when buying a questionable receiver.
    Mike

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    According to the latest (arbitrary) "ruling" from the BATFE, if a receiver has the pin hole in the proper position for an auto sear it IS capable of being readily converted to fire full auto. (The wording that I've seen is, "Once a full auto. Always a full auto.") They have confiscated several receivers and complete weapons in this condition. Their effort at the moment seems to be finding all of the de-milled AK type weapons that have the auto sear hole. I'm certain that AR platform weapons are also under scrutiny.
    The only way to be sure would be to get copies of the latest BATFE rulings and err on the side of caution when buying a questionable receiver.
    Mike
    I think the AR platform would have to have the sear block milled away, as well as the pin hole:dunno:
    dont know anything about the AK

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Mike

What about the registered full auto trigger packs.Cant those be installed in Donor weapons?

Im not up to speed on the full auto stuff, maybe one day I can afford one.

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    What about the registered full auto trigger packs.Cant those be installed in Donor weapons?

Im not up to speed on the full auto stuff, maybe one day I can afford one.

I guess that depends on what weapons platform you are refering to. Registered full auto trigger packs for HKs are the machine guns, & can be moved between host weapons :ar15:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I guess that depends on what weapons platform you are refering to. Registered full auto trigger packs for HKs are the machine guns, & can be moved between host weapons :ar15:

Right, that kills the once a machine gun always a machine gun saying.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Normally I'd submit a post like this to clear up a question.
    However when it comes to the BATFE nothing is clear.
    EVER!!

Of all the different firearms defined as NFA weapons, machineguns are the only type where the receiver
    of the weapon by itself is an NFA firearm. As a result, it is important that the receiver of a machinegun
    be properly identified. Many machineguns incorporate a “split” or “hinged” receiver design so the main
    portion of the weapon can be easily separated into upper and lower sections. Additionally, some
    machineguns utilize a construction method where the receiver is composed of a number of
    subassemblies that are riveted together to form the complete receiver.
    The following table lists specific models of machineguns incorporating the above designs and the
    portion of the weapon that has been held to be the receiver. This list is not all- inclusive. For
    information concerning a split or hinged receiver type machinegun not listed below, contact FTB at
    (304) 260-1699.
    Model Receiver
    Armalite AR10 lower
    Armalite AR15 (all variations) lower
    Armalite AR18 lower
    Beretta AR70 lower
    British L1A1 upper
    Browning M1917 right side plate
    Browning M1919 (all variations) right side plate
    Browning M2 & M2HB right side plate
    Colt M16 (all variations) lower
    Czech Vz 61 lower
    FN FNC lower
    Model Receiver
    FN CAL upper
    FN FAL upper
    French MAT 49 upper
    German MP38 & MP40 upper
    H&K G3 (all variations) upper
    H&K MP5 (all variations) upper
    IMI UZI upper
    M61 Vulcan outer housing
    M134 Minigun outer housing
    Maxim MG08 and 08/15 right side plate
    SIG AMT upper
    SIG STG 57 upper
    SIG 550 Series (all variations) upper
    Soviet PPsH 41 upper
    Soviet PPS 43 upper
    Steyr MPi 69 upper
    Steyr MPi 81 upper
    Thompson submachinegun (all variations) upper
    Vickers water cooled machineguns right side plate
    The “designed to shoot automatically more than one shot without manual reloading by a single function
    of the trigger” portion of the definition relates to the characteristics of the weapon that permit full
    automatic fire. ATF has also held that the “designed” definition includes those weapons which have not
    previously functioned as machineguns but possess design features which facilitate full automatic fire by
    simple modification or elimination of existing component parts. ATF has published rulings concerning
    specific firearms classified as machineguns based on this interpretation of the term “designed.”15

Concerning the installation of conversion kits in semiautomatic firearms, it must be pointed out that the
    receiver of the firearm may not be modified to permit fully automatic fire. Such modification results in
    the making of a machinegun which is prohibited by 18 U.S.C. 922(o).

Source = http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-chapter-2.pdf

The items in red are what the BATFE uses to determine if a weapon is full auto. They have "freely" interpreted this to mean a receiver that was originally made with a auto sear pin hole, or one that has had the hole drilled post production.
    As with all Federal Govt. institutions the BATFE changes the rules at the whim of the current Director and an item that is legal today, may not be legal tomorrow. :noway:
    Mike

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Right, that kills the once a machine gun always a machine gun saying.
    No, because you haven't made your receiver into a machinegun. The registered conversion device is the MG itself, and being installed into a firearm doesn't make that firearm a MG itself.

Lots to be learned at arfcom in the Class III and M16 boards. Read up if you really want to understand it all. Its difficult to understand, but after a while most of the rulings begin the make sense, or at least they're not so confusing.

Top Bottom