Is it illegal to spank your own children?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    I do not have kids yet, but my girlfriend and a lot of people I know seem to think that spanking your kids is against the law. I don't believe so but I'm not always right. I understand beating the crap out of them is abuse (:abused: <--- Do not do this to children), but let's say that if I did have a kid, and we went to a store. If my kid started freaking out and throwing a fit ( :tantrum: <--- hypothetical future kid) and would not calm down or stop when I told it to, would I get the cops called on me for spanking it. My girlfriend seems to think so.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Good question. My youngest is 27 and they were spanked when needed. Things may have changed as the inmates are running the asylum these days.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Your girlfriend and those people are mistaken. As you said, beating a child IS illegal and you'd deserve everything that happened to you if you got caught doing it. Spanking is not against the law, as long as you know where the line is. A swat with the hand seems just fine to me. You bring out a belt and you've crossed the line. Same with sticks.

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    I totally agree. I think spanking is necessary. What got this started was this kid throwing a ten minute tantrum throwing it's shoes off and flopping on the floor to the point that the mom had it in the weird wannabe MMA hold trying to get it to calm down at the store I work at, and during the whole tantrum the mom was saying, "If you be good I'll get you a toy. Don't you want to get a toy?" I told my girlfriend about it and said I'd spank the crap out of it and she believes I'd get the cops called on me. Most of the people I work with thought the same about the illegality of spanking. I feel doing things like the mom described just trains your kid that if it throws a fit it will get what it wants. I also believe a lot of people think spanking is illegal or at least will have the cops called if they spank in public, so they are afraid to do so, which their kids realize. Then their kids just run wild and do what they want because they realize there will be no consequences from their sissy parents.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, as to having the cops called on you, that's a possibility if you spank your kid in public. All it takes is one person to tell the cops you're beating your child and they'll be there lickity split to see WTH is going on. If you've "spanked the crap" out of them, you might well have some 'splain' to do and it will depend on the individual cop as to what happens to you. A swat or two might not mean anything to many cops, but more than a few whacks.....it's all about drawing a line.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Your girlfriend and those people are mistaken. As you said, beating a child IS illegal and you'd deserve everything that happened to you if you got caught doing it. Spanking is not against the law, as long as you know where the line is. A swat with the hand seems just fine to me. You bring out a belt and you've crossed the line. Same with sticks.
    LOL!!! Then I guess 80% of America were abused children.
    If you leave a mark on your child that doesn't go away quickly then I think you've crossed the line.

i am not even going to discuss on a forum how I chose to dicipline. Nothing good can come of it whether you choose the time out method or a spanking. I would never abuse my kids but some folks idea of abuse is laughable.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    It was some years back, but I heard it stated in court, by the judge, that spanking was legal in Indiana. I haven't been aware of any change in this. Now, every child is different, and more or less susceptible to outside influences. Some are simply incorrigible, while others are fit to be in public. The best you can do is be consistent and establish a framework of expectations. My son knew the meaningful look I'd give him meant he was getting close to the edge. Unfortunately, it took him some time to understand that the expectations were the same everywhere.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    No, not illegal. How you choose to discipline your kids (when you have some) will be very specific to the child. I have four kids who range in age from 7 to 12 and only one that seems to benefit from an occasional spanking. If you make a point to never, never, never discipline a child in anger you won't risk crossing a line from discipline to abuse. If you are consistent in your expectations, your kids will always know where the boundaries are. I would suggest NOT spanking in public, but letting them know when they are close to the edge and when they have earned one. Younger kids benefit from discipline if it is current; spanking a kid hours after they broke a hard and fast family rule just won't do anyone any good. My little guy who is always pushing the limits gets an explanation of what he did wrong, what behavior is expected, which of his siblings he is to apologize to after his spanking, and then he is asked to "assume the position"... Afterward, he is hugged and told that he is loved and that the behavior that earned him the spanking will not be tollerated. This seems to work for our kids and we are complimented on their good behavior. They know we care and that they are loved and cherished and expect good things from them every day.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    No, not illegal. How you choose to discipline your kids (when you have some) will be very specific to the child. I have four kids who range in age from 7 to 12 and only one that seems to benefit from an occasional spanking. If you make a point to never, never, never discipline a child in anger you won't risk crossing a line from discipline to abuse. If you are consistent in your expectations, your kids will always know where the boundaries are. I would suggest NOT spanking in public, but letting them know when they are close to the edge and when they have earned one. Younger kids benefit from discipline if it is current; spanking a kid hours after they broke a hard and fast family rule just won't do anyone any good. My little guy who is always pushing the limits gets an explanation of what he did wrong, what behavior is expected, which of his siblings he is to apologize to after his spanking, and then he is asked to "assume the position"... Afterward, he is hugged and told that he is loved and that the behavior that earned him the spanking will not be tollerated. This seems to work for our kids and we are complimented on their good behavior. They know we care and that they are loved and cherished and expect good things from them every day.
    This sounds like the right way to do it

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I don't have fond memories of the wood shed, but those memories are what shaped me into the person I am today. Personal opinion? Spank away, but don't cross the line into abuse. As for pubic areas, that's what the family restroom is for.

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Spanking a child may not leave a bruise. I have had the police called by my wife's jealous ex that I abused the kids and from Sheriff to City Officers have told him many times that spanking, even others kids under your roof, is legal as long as you do not leave marks in the form of a bruise.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    When you get kids into public school, they will tell you two things;
    1- They are "In loco parentis" which is Latin for "in place of the parents" ..... When the parent is absent, They have the legal position as the parent.
    2- That corporal punishment (in ACTUAL definition means physically violent punishment) is a standard tactic used while "in loco parentis". In short, SPANKING. If you don't agree then you don't have to. Take your child to another facility, please.

The nanny-state will whip that butt, why shouldn't you?

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    Why hit the child? The real reason people hit kids is because they are bigger, stronger, older, and the child is incapable of defending themselves.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I got the paddle in school once! Guess what I never did to get the paddle again!?! Spare the rod spoil the child.

like mentioned above, discipline should never be done in anger. Correction is done out of love.

Top Bottom