Is it lawful to have your gun under your steering wheel in a holster? Feedback?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChevyNova1970

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2015
    Northwest
    Hey everyone,

Is it legal to carry your firearm in a holster under your steering wheel? It's quite uncomfortable and hard to draw when left in your holster while driving. I purchased a fast holster (magnetic rubber coated strip) at my local gun show recently and am thinking about installing it under my steering wheel. However, I need clarification if this is lawful to do? Good idea? Any feed back is greatly appreciated! Thank you guys!

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Has long as you have the above stated LTCH you could tape it to your fore head and carry it that way if you wanted. Having the LTCH is the key.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    003.jpg

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Even legal to carry it taped to your forehead...but I would use black, green or fde tape...more tactical.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Let's discuss this further - for edification of all.

Are you only going to have it secured by the magnet? What will happen to said firearm if you're in an accident involving any force? Will the firearm stay where it is? What if you roll over in an accident - is the gun going to fall off? Realize that this could lead to an unsecured / loaded weapon with an uncovered trigger guard...

Are you going to move the gun from your holster on your person into position under the wheel - and back again? Potentially several times a day?

StunnedMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Like this?

universal-vehicle-handgun-holster-mount.jpg

That'll be guaranteed to freak out the trooper who stops you for speeding. I'd be inclined to keep my hands high and mention this one up front.

ChevyNova1970

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2015
    Northwest
    Pulled over,

I would simply keep my hands on the steering wheel and let the officer know there is a firearm under my steering wheel and I would acknowledge this once he walks up to my window. Theres no reason to freak out, police are trained and deal with lawful citizens who carry their firearms CC or OC. I'm pursuing my career right now for law enforcement and I'm not going to make a sudden moments or act nervous. It's just a traffic stop.

Top Bottom