Is it rude to call LG stores and ask for pricing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1401king

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    It bugs me a little. Seems impersonal, but I just don't have time to run all over three counties trying to find a good deal and I don't have the money to just "see it, buy it". Just wondered what others thought on the matter. Thanks... And no this isn't a race to 50 post. :): I have been on here a long time and really have no desire to purchase from or sell in the classifieds. :yesway:

Jomibe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I imagine you'll have a lot of irritated people on the other end of the phone, and then they'll complain about you to everyone within earshot once they hang up.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    I take calls for pricing with a smile on my face everyday. I do this for several reason; A) potential customer B) customer service.

Pretty simple. If you're ashamed or irritated (when people ask) by your own pricing then you've got other issues to deal with. If I call a place for a price and they get irritated or rude over 1 question via phone, I'll never take the time to discover how they'll act in a conversation face to face.

Every customer interaction is a potential sale waiting to happen to any sales person worth their salt.

sescbo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I think it's fine to call about pricing & availability. I doubt the LGS is going to be upset to answer a question that might lead to a sale. I've personally messaged some shops through Facebook before to make sure it was going to be worth the 40 minute drive.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Midwest gun exchange will NOT hand prices over the phone. They will inform on what's in stock but not mention pricing.

I tried a few times because it's an hour drive from my house.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I take calls for pricing with a smile on my face everyday. I do this for several reason; A) potential customer B) customer service.

Pretty simple. If you're ashamed or irritated (when people ask) by your own pricing then you've got other issues to deal with. If I call a place for a price and they get irritated or rude over 1 question via phone, I'll never take the time to discover how they'll act in a conversation face to face.

Every customer interaction is a potential sale waiting to happen to any sales person worth their salt.

This is a place I would give my business to, I've said it many times on here CUSTOMER SERVICE MATTERS just as much as price. Sometimes even more.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    It really depends. If it is a simple "Hey, do you have ____ in stock? What is your price? Thanks!" then that is absolutely no problem. What is irritating is when someone wants you to go all over the store running down their shopping list. Either that, or the person wants you to describe the gun, tell them how it feels in your hand, describe the trigger pull, etc. At that point, I tell the customer it would be better if they just came in and I would be happy to help them.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    The savvy sales person would use your call as an opportunity to entice you into the store. You are almost a customer if you are calling them. Now they need to earn your business...... Whatever it takes if there is any way to get it done.

If they don't want to talk they must have something to hide or they are too busy. Either way, how do you think they will treat you if you have a warranty issue or a stuck case etc.?

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Midwest gun exchange will NOT hand prices over the phone. They will inform on what's in stock but not mention pricing.

I tried a few times because it's an hour drive from my house.

Sure they will give you prices over the phone. I do it all the time. However, they will not always tell you their BEST price on the firearm since they do a lot of wholesale to other dealers and their sale prices are often at or near wholesale.

Example:

Caller: I'm looking for a Hi-Point 9mm. They are so hard to find and I just love Hi-Point. Do you have any?
    Me: Yep we have those in stock.
    Caller: What's the price on them?
    Me: You can get one for the low, low price of $499.00 (price inflated for illustration)
    Caller:Wow that's a great price. But could you do better than that?
    Me: Sure I could probably do better on the price.
    Caller: What's your best price?
    Me: Nope. You gotta come in for that. I won't negotiate on the price over the phone.
    Caller: *hangs up because Midwest won't give prices over the phone.

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Face to face is the best way to buy except in a chain type store.
    The best prices are to be gotten in person. It's always good to make acquaintances in your LGS. That interaction is invaluable. It's also the only way to eyeball the inventory for future purchases if/when needed.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I don't think it's rude, especially if you ask the price and move on. Don't sit on the phone wasting everyone's time.

I like to ask questions and pricing in person but that's not always possible.:twocents:

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I'm searching for a ( make and model) .45 cal handgun, do you have any in stock? What is your price and do you discount for cash over a credit card purchase? Two simple and polite questions. Only two replys required, but a chance to make a lifetime customer.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    No I don't see it as a problem. I've called a couple GS to ask pricing, and they didn't mind. I think as long as you don't go overboard, you'll be fine.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Happy to give a price over the phone, whatever price the tag states on the item in the case, on the floor, etc.

If the customer is wanting to haggle, that's a different matter. Depending on the business, maybe they have price matching, 'best price guarantee', or whatever. That policy should be stated.

What often happens is the customer WANTS to buy an item from a brick & mortar store so they can look at it, handle it, etc., but wants the price of the online-only website. Doesn't really work like that, because there's a difference in overhead costs.

IMO, it's fair to compare 'Brick & Mortar ABC' to 'Brick & Mortar XYZ'. Whichever one of those gives the best deal, buy it then and there. Isn't fair to expect them to match or beat the price of 'Joe's Online Guns'. Pay the additional bit of money and go with the physical store where there was an opportunity to actually check out the item.

For some items, like accessories, where it's known exactly what the item is, order online if all that's needed is that item. For me, when I want to check out and buy a new firearm and not sure how it feels in the hand, etc. I always head to, and buy from, the LGS. And while I'm there, pick up any accessories I need, as well. The prices are usually close, anyway, once shipping from a website is factored in.

And let's face it, unless it's a first firearm, and there's some pressing issue requiring a firearm purchase (i.e. just got a new job requiring a specific firearm, and need that model a.s.a.p.) there's typically no 'hurry' in buying a firearm other than 'want it'. So, waiting a bit longer and saving up the price difference is irrelevant. If funds are so 'limited' that it's impossible to do so, is that item REALLY needed? We're not talking about food, clothing, or other 'necessities'. Having that '4th Sig' or '3rd Glock' is NOT a 'necessity'.

Last edited:

MSS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2014
    Westfield
    It bugs me a little. Seems impersonal, but I just don't have time to run all over three counties trying to find a good deal and I don't have the money to just "see it, buy it". Just wondered what others thought on the matter. Thanks... And no this isn't a race to 50 post. :): I have been on here a long time and really have no desire to purchase from or sell in the classifieds. :yesway:

I own Marksman Shooting Sports in Westfield. I am more than happy to talk to customers on the phone. We try our best to answer all and every question that we get including our prices. We are confident that our prices are extremely competitive, and will ring well with the customer on the other end of the line. Pricing aside, I believe that if a customer is spending their valuable time even considering giving us their business, the least we can do is be as helpful as possible.

Hope that helps.

Chris

1401king

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    I own Marksman Shooting Sports in Westfield. I am more than happy to talk to customers on the phone. We try our best to answer all and every question that we get including our prices. We are confident that our prices are extremely competitive, and will ring well with the customer on the other end of the line. Pricing aside, I believe that if a customer is spending their valuable time even considering giving us their business, the least we can do is be as helpful as possible.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Hey, Thanks Chris. wish I was a little closer to ya.

Top Bottom