Is it safe to shoot these? (10 year old ammo)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    Found a few boxes of UMC in the back of the storage unit. They appear to have oxidized a bit. The bullets themselves are clean and un-tarnished. The casings are mostly clean too, it's just this black mess around the backside. What do you make of it? Would you try to clean it up, or toss it?

(Sorry for the cell phone pics, it's all I got at the moment!)

ss3uQ.jpg

ilJuO.jpg

r85OD.jpg

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    How were these stored? With a light spritz of battery acid?

The corrosion appears to be merely superficial. I vote shoot it and report the number of failure to fires.

underwm4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    Id say shoot it. Like the others have said, the corrosion is nothing really to worry about. I actually just found some 45 acp loads that my father made probably back in the 70s when cleaning out some of his stuff. It was just stored on the shelf and had some tarnish (not quite to that extent, but all over the cases) and they all shot just fine.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Maybe wouldn't use it for SD, but otherwise, load it up and fire it. There's a lot of brass for the corrosion to eat through around the head. It'll go bang or not but from what I see it won't cause any problems. I'd fire it for you and give you a report, but others seem to have beat me to that.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    As most everyone else stated, looks good for range ammo. They are using WW2 surplus .50 cal ammo when I was in Iraq in 04 while they were looking up to get more made. Im sure if that worked that those rounds will be just fine.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I had the same thing happen in a storage unit. I think its from moisture from the humid environment (water from snow/rain gets in and hangs in the enclosed space).

Top Bottom