Is it the job of the Federal Gov't to clean up oil spills from a private company?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    British Petroleum's oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico got me thinking. Certain "conservatives" have criticized President Obama for delayed action in addressing the oil spill.

I want to know, is it even the Federal Government's job to spend tax money on this? A job better suited for the nearby states? A responsibility solely on the company who created the spill? Something else?

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    how about these companys are prepared on their own to handle these situations? have the neccessay tools and "cap" standing by always. heres what responsibility I think the govt should play in this: oversee BP and make sure they spend all the money themselves to properly clean up the mess. then FINE THE CRAP (i mean BIG FINES) out of BP and anyone else whos found liable, accident or not. then use the money to pursue alternative fuel sources, and then give the left overs (HAHA left over money in govt, yeah right) .... never mind. my 2 cents

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    USGC, EPA & FEMA are all worki on it.. BP will get a heafty bill for it..

Some of the funds might come out of an oil spill clean up trust , set up after the Exxon spill..

this is the same as a fire at a wharehouse.. government responds. then gives company a bill..

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    They couldn't have a "cap" ready. Try moving a 100 ton piece of iron from one side of the country to the other. Those types of things have to be built on site.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    They couldn't have a "cap" ready. Try moving a 100 ton piece of iron from one side of the country to the other. Those types of things have to be built on site.

Exactly...they need to have the "cap" ready at each location...and not a single person can tell us with a straight face that it is something that cannot be afforded.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    The EPA shouldn't even exist, don't feed me that red herring.

It's the company's responsibility. What's government going to do but spend money on it?

Eff that noise, son.

Rich.Carpenter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Fishers
    Should the government be involved? You bet. They should step in and clean it up, if BP isn't quick enough about it - then send BP the bill. Oversight is all well and good, but no amount of oversight can make such a dangerous process foolproof.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    It should work like this:

1. BP F's up and pulls this stunt
    2. People don't buy BP gas because of what happened
    3. BP goes out of business

But NOOOOOOOOOOO we as Americans don't give a flying **** about our fellow Americans to the south. We care more about saving $0.02 on 10 gallons of gas.

So what if it supports the people that ****ed up the economy and environment in the south? Its not my problem. This is the America we live in today.

SOOO, since the RIGHT way for it to be handled is out of the question, I say have the .gov deal with it and send BP the bill. WAIT! This won't work because

1. The .gov fails at 90% of what they start.
    2. The .gov probably won't send them the bill.
    3. Even if the .gov does send them the bill, BP really won't pay all of it.

Basically its a cluster-**** and there's no easy way to handle it :xmad:

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I guess Barack Obama doesn't like sea food.

The Gov. sat on their thumbs for a week before doing anything and then claimed, "We were on it from Day One!":xmad:
    Democrat Liar is a humorous redundancy.
    All the while, the Media bleat, "Four Legs Good, Two Legs Bad."
    (Count yourself educated if you understand that one.)

Doug

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I see lots of people saying gov't should clean it up and send BP the bill. I've only seen one person allude to the fact that heavy fines, bills, etc. will NOT hurt BP any at all, as they will simply raise their prices to cover the costs, just like any of us would do given the opportunity.

I also seem to remember that someone posted here a while back that all the companies "pool" their product, so something produced here in America might be mixed with something produced in Venezuela, so buying from one or the other doesn't adversely affect any of them. :dunno:

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom