Is it too late to plant tomato seeds for this year?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Was planning on growing tomatoes from seed and the time got away from me. Is it too late? If not, which varieties do you use? Need something disease resistant since ours seem to be prone to blight.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    No, not too late at all. What kind of tomatoes are you looking for. If paste, the Roma VF is pretty wilt resistant.
    Not paste so much as just eating tomatoes. Maybe a cherry and a couple of others. Don't really want any ginormous beefsteaky types. Just medium sized.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Not paste so much as just eating tomatoes. Maybe a cherry and a couple of others. Don't really want any ginormous beefsteaky types. Just medium sized.
    I can't help much with others, other than suggesting you look at the descriptions and look for wilt resistance. One thing to note, the newer hybrids that are more resistant, people say they don't have the flavor of the older varieties that have little resistance.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I am a fan of sweet 100s or supersweet 100s for cherry tomatoes, celebrity hybrid tomatoes may be a good all around tomato for salads, slicing or just eating. As mentioned above the hybrids are not thought to be generally as flavorful as heirloom varieties but any you grow will be tons better than store bought.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I start mine at the end of March since I've begun doing all of my "warm weather" starts in 100% worm castings, seems to help keep em from getting too leggy. As stated above, the first of March is more than enough time to have healthy starts ready, especially if you're not transplanting outside til Mother's Day.
    Happy gardening!

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    OK, now that I know I'm not too late, is there any harm in starting them early?
    Not if you have the ability to care for the larger starts. Picture the ones at the big box hardware stores, outside on the mobile racks................... that size or bigger.
    You'll need adequate lighting, airflow and drainage, you'll possibly be fighting off fungus gnats if you don't take precautions, but definitely doable.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Not if you have the ability to care for the larger starts. Picture the ones at the big box hardware stores, outside on the mobile racks................... that size or bigger.
    You'll need adequate lighting, airflow and drainage, you'll possibly be fighting off fungus gnats if you don't take precautions, but definitely doable.
    OK, then I think I can handle it.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Just a tip nobody asked for.
    If you're using store bought potting/starting soil, open it up and dump it inside a 5 gallon bucket(s), then pour boiling water over it and mix well. This little step will kill off any unwanted critters and their eggs that live rent free in that bag of soil ya just bought.........................especially those damn gnats.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    It is not to late at all.
    For blight. Colloidal silver(science... https://thesilveredge.com/study-the...he-white-rot-of-the-green-onion/#.VZ7CnvlViko and https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/reg_actions/reregistration/fs_G-75_1-Jun-93.pdf ).

Clip of the EPA link "
    Silver was first registered as a pesticide in the United States in 1954, for use
    in disinfectants, sanitizers and fungicides. Currently, about 80 pesticide
    products are registered which contain silver as an active ingredient."

We had huge problems with tomato blight in Minnesota. The cooler weather and shorter days played a role to be sure. We used MESOsilver purchased from amazon.Cap full on each stalk base and a spay bottle to spray all the leaves.It worked and saved 16 of the 17 tomato plants we had growing.

Last edited:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Has anybody had luck using soapy water to kill fungus gnats? It works on all other insect problems I've encountered, but for some reason it's not as effective as I'd like on the gnats, and I've been applying it in every weekly watering since the beginning of the year now. I thought I would have broken the insect life cycle by now.

The baking soda idea is new to me, but I will try it. Does it affect soil alkalinity, and do you need to adjust pH?

Top Bottom