• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    A clip from a spreadsheet I use for this very reason. This chart addresses the cost of consumables only. Brass is not a consumable by my definition.

I buy Lead bullets from a local manufacturer, your choices may be different.

There are 7000 grains of powder in a pound. I load with winchester 231 at 4.0 grains/round.

9mmcomponentpriceUnitscost per unitunits per cartrigecost per cartrige
    primer$30.001000$0.031$0.03
    powder$30.007000$0.004$0.02
    bullets$35.00500$0.071$0.07
    Cost/round$0.12

YMMV

(Had to edit a few of the numbers)

Did anyone factor in a price for time? How long does it take to make a box of 50 rounds reloaded take your amount saves and equal it to that time # and see if that # is worth your time or not.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Going slow and easy, making great ammo, the 550b dillon gives about 6 boxes per hour. With a single station I usually get 3 boxes in a couple hours. I have never tried to reload for speed.

on cost, I figure my cost like a business, that is the cost to get the stuff all the way to the bench. If I have $15 of shipping on the bullets, that gets added into the price of bullets. Same with hazmat on powder/primers. Even if I drive three hours round trip to pick up stuff, that travel expense goes against the price. Even buying primers 20,000 at a time and powder by the keg and bullets in bulk I am at 14-16 cents a shot true cost. For .40 and .45, the only real cost increase is the bullet. Bigger bullets cost more. Specialty bullets cost more.

If you have a chance to work overtime on a job that pays pretty well, you are better off staying at work and buying ammo.

Last edited:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Did anyone factor in a price for time? How long does it take to make a box of 50 rounds reloaded take your amount saves and equal it to that time # and see if that # is worth your time or not.

Time doesn't matter to me in the cost, what else are you going to do in your free time? Wàtch TV?
    When it's time to go to work, I go. Something needs done around the house, I do it. When I have free time, I load.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009

Do you factor in the amount of time it takes to go fishing when you enjoy a delicious platter of crappie fillets? When approached with the right mindset, of doing something yourself and doing it very well, reloading is an incredibly enjoyable hobby or pastime. If you view it as a job or a chore and just want to get it over with, factory ammo is probably a better option for you.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Everyone so far has talked about reloading in terms of money.

Consider the value of reloading in term of capability. Buy the tools, buy the components, learn the skill. NOW, if for some unexpected reason you cannot buy 9mm at your favorite retail establishment, you can go home and build them from the components you have on hand.

THAT makes reloading 9mm worth it.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    OK, sounds fair.

One of my reloading presses, scales, dies, were given to me as a gift, years ago, as in the 1950/60's, so no cost there.
    I cast my own bullets from free range lead with wheel weights added, I get that free as well. Again, no cost there either.
    Bought primers years ago for less than $40 per 5,000 pieces. Per round we now have $ .0008 if I round off to the $40 mark.
    Powder bought years ago from the guy in Louisville for around $10 per lb in bulk. That comes to $ .0049997 per round. If I load 3.5 grains per case.
    Cost per case, again free.

Total cost for me? 1/2 cent per round.

Oh, ya. I do my own powder coating, still using the free coating the fellow gave me at the powder coat shop, no idea what its worth but I have a qt. jar of it.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Literally just finished loading up 1,000 rounds on my 650 and it took me right at about 2 hours and that included chamber checking them. I used Barry's 147 gn bullets. 1,000 bullets for $100 which comes out to .10 a bullet, used approx 4,000 gns of powder which comes out to about $17.00 in powder .017 a round, and 1,000 primers at .03 per primer. That puts me at $147.00 per 1,000 that I pump out. Time and equipment are priceless but I find it relaxing to sit out in my own world and relax while reloading. I defanetly think it's worth it depending on how much you shoot. My 12 year old son shoots competitively and has gone through almost 20,000 rounds this year. For competition we use Black Bullets International lead coated bullets which run us .07 a bullet and approx 3,500 gns of powder which puts us at about .11 a round and puts us in at less then 1/2 of what we could by 1,000 rds loaded for.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Literally just finished loading up 1,000 rounds on my 650 and it took me right at about 2 hours and that included chamber checking them. I used Barry's 147 gn bullets. 1,000 bullets for $100 which comes out to .10 a bullet, used approx 4,000 gns of powder which comes out to about $17.00 in powder .017 a round, and 1,000 primers at .03 per primer. That puts me at $147.00 per 1,000 that I pump out. Time and equipment are priceless but I find it relaxing to sit out in my own world and relax while reloading. I defanetly think it's worth it depending on how much you shoot. My 12 year old son shoots competitively and has gone through almost 20,000 rounds this year. For competition we use Black Bullets International lead coated bullets which run us .07 a bullet and approx 3,500 gns of powder which puts us at about .11 a round and puts us in at less then 1/2 of what we could by 1,000 rds loaded for.

I can save you some money on bullets next time you need some. $88/1000 on 147gr RN

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

inchrisin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Great information here. I've been thinking about reloading 9mm and 357 for a while now. The biggest thing stopping me is the overhead of dies, a walnut tumbler, and all the bells and whistles that I shouldn't buy. I look at some of these people saying that they started reloading for under $200. It seems more like $400 by the time you get everything together.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Great information here. I've been thinking about reloading 9mm and 357 for a while now. The biggest thing stopping me is the overhead of dies, a walnut tumbler, and all the bells and whistles that I shouldn't buy. I look at some of these people saying that they started reloading for under $200. It seems more like $400 by the time you get everything together.

You almost can't look at the cost the way you are stating it.(In my opinion) Yes, there is an initial startup up cost that will take longer to make back with 9mm as opposed to other calibers. However, you won't really spend less. You will just be able make more shots for every dollar that you do spend. There is a significant difference between loading your own self-defense and practice ammo vs. buying factory ammo in calibers other than 9mm. My reasons for wanting to get into reloading is that I can't afford to buy a new gun every month. Making my own ammo is a way to indulge in my hobby(gun ownership) without spending thousands of dollars. Plus, there is the satisfaction of knowing the quality and safety of the bullet, powder, and primers that go into each round that is in my gun. In my mind, getting into reloading is safer than buying factory ammo. Saving money by doing it myself is a side benefit that I will gladly take.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I get primers when they're on sale at Cabela's, so 3¢ each. I got 9mm FMJ bullets from Precision Delta for $81/1000 delivered, so 8¢ for the bullets and 1¢ for 3.5 gr of Titegroup. 12¢/round for me. $6 for a box of 50 is lots cheaper than the $10-11 you pay for retail. Probably could drop the cost a bit with cast bullets, but I'd rather shoot FMJ's.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    If you have a progressive press, probably. Single stage? Depends on what your time is worth to you and how much you have available. The only things I personally reload are rounds that I am trying to hone accuracy or cost well over $1/round for factory ammo.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I get primers when they're on sale at Cabela's, so 3¢ each. I got 9mm FMJ bullets from Precision Delta for $81/1000 delivered, so 8¢ for the bullets and 1¢ for 3.5 gr of Titegroup. 12¢/round for me. $6 for a box of 50 is lots cheaper than the $10-11 you pay for retail. Probably could drop the cost a bit with cast bullets, but I'd rather shoot FMJ's.

I pick up primers at the 1500 when I can. Last few I've been to its 27.00 bucks per 1000 plus tax. I haven't seen them outside of there for less than 32.50 or so a box plus tax. Regardless, that's a pretty good price on FMJ bullets. I'm loading Xtreme that are in that price range for plated. Bought some blue bullets but they aren't cheaep enough 'not on sale' to offset annoyance of htem being blue. Lol

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

40 years ago, my RCBS single stage Rock Chucker, cost less than $80.00 .....

You probably can't even buy one used, for that today .....

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009

You're looking at it all wrong. ;)

Reloading is a relaxing and enjoyable hobby, not unlike fishing. As a bonus, it allows you to shoot a lot more often. If you happen to shoot something outside of the common 308/223/9mm/45 rounds, you can tell yourself you're saving money, but the truth is, you are really making it just as affordable to shoot an obscure round as it is the everyday stuff.

If you happen to hunt, it opens up a whole world of possibilities in terms of custom loadings and even wildcat cartridges! :)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom