• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I have some friends taking their grandkids to the Indiana Dunes area for a few days. I am concerned about their safety because of the close proximity to Gary, IN.

this area: Ogden Dunes, IN

Is this far enough from Gary to be safe? What's that area like?

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    We go to the Warren Dunes (or Tower Hill) all the time. It is a little more North, but always a great time. Never had any issues there.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Generally, anywhere east of where 12 and 20 split is fine. There are some ghetto-ish parts of the Miller neighborhood, but it's not the Gary you hear about. They find bodies there occasionally, but they were killed elsewhere. :D

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    Ogden Dunes is a very safe community. It only has 1 private entrance and it's own police department. There shouldn't be any issues. Be very careful if heading west of ogden dunes past west beach and into west Miller. Potential troubles increase tremendously the more west you go.

jeepfreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    You won't have any issues in Ogden Dunes. They watch that place like a hawk. If it's a nice beach your looking for I recommend St. Joe Beach in Michigan. It's just south of Benton Harbor (stay away from there) and it's by far one of the best beaches I've ever been to. The town is a nice friendly area and we travel up there (about an hour away) a couple times a year to hit the beach.

But yes- the OD area is just fine. My mom said there is a new beach area in Portage somewher maybe by the marina area that is really nice. She's taken my kids there and said it was great. No idea where it is though for sure.

West beach the last time I was there was still nice but I wouldn't go any further down than that. I did go to a beach closer towards Gary but I can't remember the name. It was in winter so nobody there but I was really impressed with the grounds and old architecture of the facility. I'm sure it's a hell hole in summer and would never set foot in there though.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    Ogden is good Miller is bad. My friend went to miller beach after I told him not to and was jumped by 19 people. Beat him down, went to the parking lot where motorcycle was, kicked it over stomped and stomped on it. Then picked up the bike and rolled it onto a pickup. All in front of numerous people, they did not care. He did nothing wrong, did not start anything with these people and did not know any of them. Random act of violence. This was about a month ago.

I personally recommend portage beach right across the street from US Steel

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Ogden Dunes is a very affluent sub-division so no issues there. Stay away from the Marquette Park area. Used to be a nice area, but has turned into a s******e. The new mayor of Gary, Karen Freeman-Wilson wants to really change things for Gary. She has a long and slippery slope to climb. Hope she can do it.

Stubbleducker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Indy
    If Gary's not your speed, I'm sitting at the dunes in Death Valley at the moment. Not too crowded at all, though most folks aren't wearing enough to conceal any CCW, after all ambient temp is 126 F.

Come on out!

Top Bottom