• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Whenever I get pennies in change, they go in a separate container at home as I won't mess with them when buying stuff. I stop and get breakfast at McD's most mornings and it always comes to $3.95 so I get a nickel in change. Before I know it, I've got a pocket full of the damn things as I don't like making change with a cashier with them either. They also take forever to get anything out of a vending machine with. My wife on the other hand will dig in her wallet for what seems like forever for 3 or 4 pennies.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    every morning my coffee & paper comes to $2.02. I always try to make sure I have 2 penny's in my pocket before I head out the door. If I don't, the store always let's me slide.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    The mint has been wanting to do away with them for years, but no luck. I'd have to look up what year they stopped making them out of copper, but the melt value of the copper ones is well more than 1 cent. Same thing with nickels, in fact, by a couple of cents. Fiat currency always leads to debasing of coinage.

If you have a bunch, take them to the coinstar machine. They charge a little premium, but it saves all the counting and messing around.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I'll give you a buck for 15 of those annoying nickels! ;) All day every day!
    Slow it down in life and you will have time to put those pesky nickels in the vending machine. :laugh:

Hal42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2011
    People are always asking for nickels at work due to the popularity of the Coca-Cola vending machine versus the Pepsi vending machine. Of course this has to do with a 20 oz being $1.10, the Coke machine requiring exact change all the time, and it mysteriously never accepting dimes. It also seems to eat one lady's change, but no one else has mentioned the problem.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Most of my change ends up in a jar that gets counted and sorted later by a coin counter. It all spends the same as far as I am concerned. The only coins I keep are the wheat pennies or older nickles and such.

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    The mint has been wanting to do away with them for years, but no luck. I'd have to look up what year they stopped making them out of copper, but the melt value of the copper ones is well more than 1 cent. Same thing with nickels, in fact, by a couple of cents. Fiat currency always leads to debasing of coinage.

If you have a bunch, take them to the coinstar machine. They charge a little premium, but it saves all the counting and messing around.

1982 they started making copper plated zinc cents.

They have a study going on now to eliminate the cent and nickel or use different metals, probably plated steel like Canada and the UK use for their smaller denominations.

They would have eliminated the cent 15 years ago if it wasn't for the zinc/metals lobby in congress.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I never pay for anything with change. I take any change that I'm given after a purchase and put it in a jar. After about a month or so I have a nice chunk that I can take to the bank or coinstar or wherever.

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    I give change to my kids. Then for b-day a pack of coin rolls. After a year they can have some $ saved up, and then turn the rolls into whatever they want to buy for b-day.

Yes I get them b-day presents too. The coins are just a bonus, and I don't have a bunch of change or give money away to have someone else count it. That and it keeps them quiet for a while.

MrBBQ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Didn't see this mentioned yet... but Coinstar counts for FREE if you get it converted into a Amazon or a Lowe's Gift Card. Much better than them charging you about 10% if you want it in cash.

Top Bottom