• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'll be the first to admit that when it comes to Taurus guns I turn into a gun snob. Its not because of some stuff I read on the internet, its because I owned two Taurus revolvers early on and they both required trips to the gunsmith. I opted to pay a gunsmith $30 rather than be without the gun for a long period of time.

So tonight my neighbor came over and we did a little shooting. He needed to break in and zero his new AR-15 and I needed out of the house. He also brought along his pt92 and I ran a mag through it and it shot pretty accurately. So I'm wondering if the PT92 is considered to be a solid reliable pistol. I'm not going to buy one, but it did seem like a decent gun. Granted it's a knock off of a Beretta, but enough people knock off AR's & 1911's and do a decent job, why not knock off a beretta?

ANY thoughts?

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    I have been thinking about buying one as a plinker, but I am unsure about reliability. Ive heard horror stories about the M9 that the US armed forces has used for years, I have also heard wonderful stories about M9's and how they never jam, yada yada.... I like the position of the safety on the PT92 over the M9, but If I could find a de-cock only model (G model?) in the M9/92FS I would more than likely buy it.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Everyone has an opinion on Taurus quality. I personally have had great luck with them. Never a problem. But I am just a shooter and would value the opinion of someone like shooter521 from Bradis Guns, who has extensive contact with both selling them and having them returned for problems. If Shooter does not jump into this thread I would PM him if I were you, he can certainly steer you in the right direction as to how often he see's them having problems.

J Starkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Kokomo
    I've owned both the PT92 af and PT99 ads and they where absolutely amazing firearms. I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up again if the price was right. Both of mine shot extremely accurate.

afcolt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Madison Co.
    Count me in the pro-Taurus camp. You shouldn't have any issues with the PT92. I've had a couple of other Taurus firearms, as well, and haven't had an issue yet.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    My dad has one. We call it his pimp gun. Polished chrome, gold controls, and pearl grips. He claims he bought cheap, I think he just thought it was pretty.;)

It's a great shooter. For a long time it was the only 9mm in the family arsenal and we shot a ton of rounds with it. Can't ever remember it having a hiccup.

Thrown Hammer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2013
    Northern
    I prefer the Taurus over the Beretta. I like the safety/decocker on the frame. I had a Taurus pt92 for awhile and it ran flawlessly and was a track driver.

Also the Beretta mags will work in the Taurus with a small modification. Look it up on YouTube. I had several surplus M9 mags for mine.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My dad has one. We call it his pimp gun. Polished chrome, gold controls, and pearl grips. He claims he bought cheap, I think he just thought it was pretty.;)

It's a great shooter. For a long time it was the only 9mm in the family arsenal and we shot a ton of rounds with it. Can't ever remember it having a hiccup.

My father in law has one of those "pimp" pt92's and I try so hard to keep a straight face every time he pulls it out.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Now that we have input from others plus the original post I guess it is safe to say that Taurus is a hit or miss proposition. I have shot PT1911's that had fantastic triggers and some that were very bad. I haven't had problems with the Taurus I have owned but I know a lot of people that have had problems. I guess you are just rolling the dice when you buy a Taurus.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    Yep, Ive rolled the dice and have been lucky 3 times so far.....2 only have a few hundred rounds through them however. My little PT 709 has been a faithful carry weapon for four years now. I have a coworker who owns a PT92, his only Taurus. Hes retired Marine and has owned it since the 90's.

Ill tell you one thing, Taurus packs the **** out of them with cosmoline when new, and if you dont clean them well, you WILL have issues. Ive seen a bunch NIB with issues that a good cleaning fixed....sometimes more than a field strip.

If I seen any Taurus at the right price, I wouldnt hesitate to "roll the dice".

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a PT99 (basically the same as a PT92) that was produced in 1995.
    I've put a couple of thousand rounds through it without ANY issues.
    I am the second owner, so I have no idea of a total round count.

The one thing I can say about it, it's built like a tank.

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    Now that we have input from others plus the original post I guess it is safe to say that Taurus is a hit or miss proposition. I have shot PT1911's that had fantastic triggers and some that were very bad. I haven't had problems with the Taurus I have owned but I know a lot of people that have had problems. I guess you are just rolling the dice when you buy a Taurus.

You can also do a trigger job on the PT92 by adding the Beretta D spring and polishing the internals. Theres probably a dozen videos on youtube on how to do it.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I don't know about ones made now, but my PT92 from 1992 or 93 still works great.

My PT99 from 1991/92 time frame is still running strong as well. It is not a gun I have carried in quite some time, but the Taurus 92's/99's from that era are great guns.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    Ive had bad luck with taurus handguns also but the PT92 series have been great for me. My first handgun was a rebuilt PT92 pre decocker model. I put thousands of trouble free rounds through it and seriously regret selling it. Ive had a PT101 and several PT92 and a PT99 over the years and I wont hesitate about buying another but I wont buy any other taurus models other than the PT92 series.

Top Bottom