• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • isius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I've been offered a well cared for Remington 870 with approximately 1000 rounds through it for $200. It has wooden stock and grip. I'd be getting it specifically for HD and I'm thinking about replacing the stock with a pistol grip.

Any thoughts or advice on this?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    $200 for an 870 in good shape is worth buying.

Pistol grips are worthless! Now a stock with a pistol grip is good to go. Personally I would just keep the factory stock. Simply add an 18" barrel and maybe a +2 mag extension and you are good to go. Keep the existing barrel for hunting.

If you just have to build a tacti-cool 870 and want to sell the barrel, mag spring, and mag tube cap send me a PM because I am looking for a barrel.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    stay away from pistol grip only. i had one and they look cool but are a pain for any kind of accuracy. definately get a pistol grip stock for the best upgrade you can do. and shorter barrel, extended tube, some kind of lighting system, many kinds are out there depends on budget. side saddles are available for 6 more rounds carried.

boonedock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    DECATUR Co.
    BUY IT!! that's a deal! Ant stay away from pitol grip only they hurt your wrist, with a Highbrass Double 00...AWESOME HD gun! Build it and Show it!!

1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    Buy it, have used one for years and love it. Pattern the buckshot so you have an idea of how it spreads at close range.

isius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Ok then. I'll buy. My primary motivation for the pistol grip is to keep the size down. I want a shotgun, but as small as reasonably possible. How about I look into getting a folding stock since you all recommend that a pistol grip alone is not so nice? Any recommendations on folding stock with pistol grip?

Maybe something like this
    400px-Remington870PoliceFolded.jpg

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Sorry, but the folding stock is still a no-no. The whole point that a half dozen others have made before me is that shooting a shotgun without a stock is a very bad idea. It is very easy to not be properly set and to have it slam into you. The stock gives you much better ability to handle the recoil.

Kaiser

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    lafayette area
    Buy it that is my HD gun Has a short tactical barrel but other than that it s bone stock It is a retired PD riot gun fromthe 70's If you don't want it at 200 tell him I will take it

Ryan281

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Id suggest a Hogue stock with 12.5 " length of pull to keep the size down. The stick in the photo will hurt your cheek when you shoot it.
    Ryan

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have a couple of Mossbergs with side folders, mostly for storage reasons. In an emergency I could fire it PGO, but it would have to be zombies already in the house and busting into the bedroom emergency. You should be able to find many videos on youtube to convince you it's not a good idea. Smacked-in-the-face-with-the-muzzle not a good idea.

isius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Sorry, but the folding stock is still a no-no. The whole point that a half dozen others have made before me is that shooting a shotgun without a stock is a very bad idea. It is very easy to not be properly set and to have it slam into you. The stock gives you much better ability to handle the recoil.

"without a stock"? Isn't the folding stock a stock? :scratch:

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    It isn't acting as a stock when it is folded. The whole point is to have the shoulder help to steady the shotgun and to assist with the recoil absorption. That doesn't happen when the stock is folded or if you use a pure pistol grip. There are very good fixed stocks and even recoil absorbing stocks that I would recommend over a folding stock. Using a pistol grip isn't the problem, using it without a stock can be.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom