• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Got some trail cam pics yesterday and had this doe come in. She has some marks on her that at first blush I thought perhaps there was an injury or possibly an attack by a yote or some other predator.

However, a buddy mentioned there were several deer lost in Putnam County (we are hunting in Parke county but right on the border with Putnam) due to chronic waste. He thought perhaps this doe may be unhealthy but I've never seen chronic waste disease before. I thought I'd get some expert opinions from knowledgeable folks here on INGO.

Here's a couple of pics that show both sides to her:

PICT0019.jpg

PICT0057.jpg

As a side note, I haven't seen any other does with any such markings which would lead me to think the herd isn't diseased but IDK. This is our first year hunting this property.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I have seen the same exact thing on the deer on my camera here in Floyd County. I have a friend in Washington County that has the same markings on the does he got pictures of.

Here's the doe on my property. Definitely looks malnourished
    HUNT0012.jpg

HUNT0042.jpg

Last edited:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    does look the same here....been a rough summer on them....not much to eat.....if the acorns drop this fall they'll fattin' up....:twocents:

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The doe in the OP looks pretty good for having twin fawns IMO. Not gaunt at all really, and no other visual signs of being ill.

It is a pretty safe bet that it is not CWD. She'd be in much worse shape, and there has never been a case of CWD in a wild deer in this state (knock on wood!) http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-CWD_FAQSheet.pdf

EHD shows no real visual signs other than profuse slobbering and staggering (high fever.) They die within a couple days of contracting it, normally by water. http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-EHDFaqSheet.pdf

The marks you refer to look to be scars of some sort (could be from anything), they really show up well in their summer coats. Many healthy does who are weaning twins right now look worse than her.:twocents:

The doe in the 2nd post (lammchop93's) looks thin, but not abnormally so for this time of year. The reason many does look malnourished this time of year is BECAUSE THEY ARE! Many are still nursing, and their fawns are bigger. Thus the fawns want more milk. Much of the does nutrition is being pumped into the fawn. Go to a dairy farm and look at the milk cows. You'll see gaunt withers and ribs. They'll fatten up quickly as soon as the fawns get weaned.

Last edited:

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Im just north of the Vigo/Parke county line in Parke Co. While i have seen not many deer my cam has picked up a few in my woods. They look fairly healthy considering how dry it has been. I think most of the deer are hanging out neer the river which is one property lot west of me (3 minute 4 wheeler ride). Last year it was nothing to see 10 deer cross the corn/bean field and enter my woods. You could set your watch to it just before sundown.
    I just wonder how big this boy really is!
    WGI_0002.jpg

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    The doe in the OP looks pretty good for having twin fawns IMO. Not gaunt at all really, and no other visual signs of being ill.

It is a pretty safe bet that it is not CWD. She'd be in much worse shape, and there has never been a case of CWD in a wild deer in this state.http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-CWD_FAQSheet.pdf

EHD shows no real visual signs other than profuse slobbering and staggering (high fever.) They die within a couple days of contracting it, normally by water. http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-EHDFaqSheet.pdf

The marks you refer to look to be scars of some sort, they really show up well in their summer coats. Many healthy does who are weaning twins right now look worse than her.:twocents:

The doe in the 2nd post looks thin, but not abnormally so for this time of year. The reason many does look malnourished this time of year is BECAUSE THEY ARE! Many are still nursing, and their fawns are bigger. Thus the fawns want more milk. Much of the does nutrition is being pumped into the fawn. Go to a dairy farm and look at the milk cows. You'll see gaunt withers and ribs. They'll fatten up quickly as soon as the fawns get weaned.

I agree that the doe I posted does not look malnourished. Although not pictured, this doe had twins. I thought the markings were scars as well from either a predator or possibly a fence.

The comments from my friend just made me want to get some other folks looking at it. Thanks for your insights.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Almost looks like scars from a MVA.

It's possible and I thought the same thing but then upon further reflection realized that all the folks in the area are Amish. I havent even seen a parked vehicle within 5 miles from the back of this property.

Still possible though if she moved south a ways or just got really unlucky with the few cars that roll through there.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    The deer is just fine..

She will fatten up and be good eating.

No "waste disease" in Indiana - so far..

EHD deer do not get gaunt looking before dieing

ZS84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Columbus

It is a pretty safe bet that it is not CWD. She'd be in much worse shape, and there has never been a case of CWD in a wild deer in this state (knock on wood!) http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-CWD_FAQSheet.pdf

The marks you refer to look to be scars of some sort (could be from anything), they really show up well in their summer coats. Many healthy does who are weaning twins right now look worse than her.:twocents:

The doe in the 2nd post (lammchop93's) looks thin, but not abnormally so for this time of year. The reason many does look malnourished this time of year is BECAUSE THEY ARE! Many are still nursing, and their fawns are bigger. Thus the fawns want more milk. Much of the does nutrition is being pumped into the fawn. Go to a dairy farm and look at the milk cows. You'll see gaunt withers and ribs. They'll fatten up quickly as soon as the fawns get weaned.

All of this :yesway:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    The doe could've gotten those cuts in her coat from a barbed wire fence. Maybe she climbs though a fence daily to eat in a corn field. Maybe she would normally jump the fence, but not while pregnant or recovering from birth. Just a guess.

As a deer hunter I would be interested to find out if this is disease related! though. Thanks for posting pix.

hountzmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    SE Indiana
    No CWD in the wild Indiana herd. I wouldn't go worrying about that.

Could be some other things, but I agree with the others. She looks pretty normal for this time of the year really. Not a lot of food and feeding fawns, she'll be ok come november.

Top Bottom