• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Cool ol can o powder.

Dont know searched a little and found evidence that proves them to be different powders. Funny thing is I talked to guy today that mentioned Herco powder but don't think it's the same thing either. Wonder how old that stuff is.

dooshie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Indy
    Cool ol can o powder.

Dont know searched a little and found evidence that proves them to be different powders. Funny thing is I talked to guy today that mentioned Herco powder but don't think it's the same thing either. Wonder how old that stuff is.

1980's

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Hercules is now Alliant. Haven't seen that name since Disco. But, yes it is. Have used it often in 357 mag.

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    It's 2400, which is either a slow pistol powder or a very fast rifle powder, depending on how ya look at it. Quite suitable for 30 Carbine loads or just about any of the larger bore magnum rounds.

It's not as fussy about near-max charges as H110/W296, but produces nearly as much velocity from rounds like the 44 Rem Mag. As old as that powder is, I'd inspect it and smell it to ensure it's still good. It should have a slight sickly-sweet smell to it.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Nothing wrong with powder that has Herculese on the can, I use it all the time.

Yep.. The paper cans were on the sales shelf's well into the 90's
    If the powder smells sweet, its fine..
    I still have pounds of powder in square metal cans from my grandfather's.
    And it's still fine..

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Yep.. The paper cans were on the sales shelf's well into the 90's
    If the powder smells sweet, its fine..
    I still have pounds of powder in square metal cans from my grandfather's.
    And it's still fine..

Thinking it was older still really interesting.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I use it for my light .35 Remington loads. Works great in .357 mag and .45 colt too. Unique is good for some light rifle loads as well. Gallery Loads as they used to call them.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Stay on the lower side of any published loads from newer manuals. Start in the middle range and work your way up slowly. When Alliant took over they changed the formulation very slightly. I have used 2400 for many years and is a great powder for magnum handgun cartridges. It was Elmer Keith's favorite. It's like the next step up from black powder. If loaded lightly it will leave lots of unburned powder in the gun ( it's harmless but looks funky). In the 3/4 to full throttle loads it really shines in .357, 41, and .44 magnums. I would love to find a sealed 8 lb. keg of 2400. If you've never tried Unique you really should. It gives the highest velocities with the lowest pressures. Cases last longer and so does the gun.

Last edited:

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Stay on the lower side of any published loads from newer manuals. Start in the middle range and work your way up slowly. When Alliant took over they changed the formulation very slightly.

^^^THIS^^^

I've used both the new and old formulation and they are slightly different. It's still perfectly safe as long as you adhere to standard loading practices - work up your loads, don't just start at or near max and assume that everything is going to be OK. When I used it in .22 Hornet, the particular batch of old Hercules that I had ended up maxing out sooner (high pressure signs) than the newer formulation stuff. The old stuff was perfectly accurate and burned very clean once I had worked things up and I would not hesitate to use it again.

Top Bottom