• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    Background .. My last handling of an AR was 1976 in basic training for the USAF. Back then they weren't pushing for the complete soldier . They wanted me to work on aircraft . Anyway, is it possible for someone like me, with little to no experience with the AR,(Never have broken one down),be capable of building an AR package. Where should I start? Is there info available for doing this? I continually hear it to be rewarding but I would hate to ruin something or as bad.. build a laughing stock. I don't know of an INGO'er AR building club in my area. Seems like many of you have worked together on projects up north. Thanks.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Yes.

I'm still what I'd consider myself a 'gun newb'. The first rifle I owned, was an AR I "built" (assembled). Before that I just had a few pistols. It was surprisingly simple and I did it all sitting at my computer desk without any real specialized tools. I did buy a complete upper, though.

If I can do it, I imagine anyone can. The internet is full of guides and INGO people are friendly and quick to assist when you ask for help.

You can do it!

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    Thanks for the response . The link was very informative . I'm pretty handy so I feel I could do it. Are all parts interchangeable ? Asking cause you can't put Chevy parts on a Ford(well not easily).. Are there certain brand items that only work on certain other parts. I assume after that it's just a matter of dollars.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    You will want to buy mil spec everything. That way you should have no problems with things fitting together.

A lot of people build the lower then buy a upper to complete the rifle. That way they can put in the trigger they want as well as the stock that they like. That isn't a bad way to go. It saves you from having to buy some tools and with the price of uppers today it is hard to build for cheaper.

A place called Brownells makes a DVD that tells you how to build a AR. It is very informative. The DVD is cheap, something like $20. They also sell the tools and parts to build a AR. They do sell good stuff, but most times you can get stuff cheaper from other places. Then too they sell stuff that no one else has.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Background .. My last handling of an AR was 1976 in basic training for the USAF. Back then they weren't pushing for the complete soldier . They wanted me to work on aircraft . Anyway, is it possible for someone like me, with little to no experience with the AR,(Never have broken one down),be capable of building an AR package. Where should I start? Is there info available for doing this? I continually hear it to be rewarding but I would hate to ruin something or as bad.. build a laughing stock. I don't know of an INGO'er AR building club in my area. Seems like many of you have worked together on projects up north. Thanks.

You will want to buy mil spec everything. That way you should have no problems with things fitting together.

A lot of people build the lower then buy a upper to complete the rifle. That way they can put in the trigger they want as well as the stock that they like. That isn't a bad way to go. It saves you from having to buy some tools and with the price of uppers today it is hard to build for cheaper.

A place called Brownells makes a DVD that tells you how to build a AR. It is very informative. The DVD is cheap, something like $20. They also sell the tools and parts to build a AR. They do sell good stuff, but most times you can get stuff cheaper from other places. Then too they sell stuff that no one else has.

I have heard of side folders, under folders, adjustable stocks and fixed stocks... but I want to know where I can find one of those "laughing stocks"... ;)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Brownells can seem spendy compared to other sites "BUT" they tend to sell parts/pieces/tools that are of a better quality. They are extremely easy to deal with....CS is beyond comparison and they ship quickly. Unless I order the wrong parts (yup, it happens) I have had zero issues with them and they have videos available while you shop on the site. They have a top shelf operation.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    If I buy the tools to build from scratch, I'm darn sure building at least 5 rifles just because I know myself well. Guess what, I still don't have the tools.... LOL.

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    These tools that turn people into addicts.. Do they tend to be very expensive , to the point that it's not worth building just one. My plan was to commit to MY ultimate AR build but if I can get a very good quality platform & do add on 's which is what seems to be the game anyway... Why bother. Is it the satisfaction of making something that goes bang, & not boom?

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    If you buy a barrel nut wrench, and some spanner wrenches, or just buy a combination AR wrench you are pretty my h there. A method of SAFELY mounting things in a vice is necessary too. You will want access to a torque wrench as well. I'm not sure if this is typical but my combination wrench was a POS. The barrel wrench part had to be ground to fit, the 1/2 drive square fit awful, flash hider wrench was beyond sloppy... I could have bought a dud though. I am slowly picking up nicer tools. If you build one, you will likely build another, or at the very least con a friend into building one. Then you can be "the guy with the tools" There are many videos and write ups that have helpful tidbits to aid assembly. Good luck! There are some gurus on here that can walk you through every step too if you hit any trouble spots. I think in the past there have been build party's, but I haven't attended.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I am 48 and did not own my first gun until about 6 years ago when I bought a handgun. Earlier this year I put together my first AR with the help of INGO Mod lovemywoods.
    You already have more experience than I did, so I am sure you will have no problem. And if you do, I would bet good money that any number of INGOers would help you out.

johnwhite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2014
    bedford
    [video=youtube;k4HteQYanR4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4HteQYanR4&list=UUWJHDMgKWWvOsdyRF3HPVEw[/video]
    iraqveteran8888 has several videos such as this walking you through the process take a look and see if you think it might be to complicated for you.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom