Is Unique even made anymore? Does it exist?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So has anyone actually reached out to the manufacturer for the real story? THAT is where your answer lies. Not a bunch of randos on INGO or retail shops.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    We had some in the store about a year ago. It sold out in 20 minutes and I had a limit of 1# per customer. We have not been able to get it since Alliant raised their prices 30%. We have a ridiculous amount on backorder.
    Alliant is owned by Vista, so if it got sold along with everything else hopefully that means availability will improve. It can't get much worse...
    I guess I didn’t know Alliant was owned by Vista. It kinda sucks that powder has been absorbed by Hodgdon and Vista. Who is going to compete with them other than Vhitavouri and Shooters world?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I guess I didn’t know Alliant was owned by Vista. It kinda sucks that powder has been absorbed by Hodgdon and Vista. Who is going to compete with them other than Vhitavouri and Shooters world?
    Shooters World's big Varget alternative and Varget itself are now the same price. They aren't a bargain powder anymore.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I bought a few jugs of surplus powder from GIBrass.com last year that was supposed to be simPilar to unique, enough that they advised the same load data could be used. I tried it with 10.0gr under a 200rnfp in .45 colt in my Marlin 1894. It shot great so I was happy. I tried it in a variety of other calibers and loads and found it very position sensitive. I’d have to look up data but a couple hundred fps variances in just shooting s tipping the barrel up between shots. I emailed he owner and he gave kind of a smarmy answer about all ball powders needing to be loaded to near max capacity.
    so, I’m assuming it might work well in smaller cases like 9mm amd 45 acp. But I was disinterested enough to not have tried them yet.

Yangos45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2021
    Dyer
    It's funny how 4-5 years ago when I was stockpiling primers and powder all my friends were looking at me sideways, and then the Big Woo hit and they were all caught with their pants down. And of course I was able to bail them out at pre Woo pricing.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Picked up some Titegroup and tried it in .38 loads today. 3.8-4gn seemed to feel similar in power to my existing loads. The case fill is a lot lower, but they didn't seem to have any positional problems, squibs, or irregular ignition. Gonna churn out a couple boxes and see how it goes.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Picked up some Titegroup and tried it in .38 loads today. 3.8-4gn seemed to feel similar in power to my existing loads. The case fill is a lot lower, but they didn't seem to have any positional problems, squibs, or irregular ignition. Gonna churn out a couple boxes and see how it goes.
    Yeah, I made that leap too. I still have some Red Dot, Unique and Herco but I’m not paying north of $50 for shotgun or pistol powder. I bought a couple of 4 pounders of Titegroup for pistols and shotguns and have gotten used to them. I love Alliant powders but have been forced to find an alternative. Probably by design because Hodgdon will buy them up too. I liked it when there were a lot of options, Western,Alliant,Vhittavouri, Shooters world etc. I feel like we are being backed into a corner so to speak. I love Hodgdon powder especially their extruded powder but only having a couple dogs in the fight doesn’t bode well for the spectators

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I use nothing but TG and HP-38. Great powders.

Reactions: Ark

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Been smoking Unique for over 50 years. Medium Pistol and Shotgun use. Back in the 60’s we used Unique in our small rifles. .218 Bee and later in .223 and .22-.250 to harvest squirrels from the top of the tallest trees.

In a world of sell out to the cheapest goods from anywhere but here in the homeland, Unique still runs true to its origins as a very universal powder.

Good luck and see you on the range.

Trapper

IMG_0929.jpeg

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Alliant Unique is in stock at Midsouth Shooters Supply

DadSmith