• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've certainly had some gun and ammo combinations that were not accurate. I don't think I've ever had a gun that wouldn't shoot some types of ammo accurately.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yup. My old G23. I could keep it on the paper,(B27) but I wasnt all that accurate with it. Switched to a G19 and I'm hitting the 9 ring consistently without fail.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Accuracy of a handgun depends on the target, the skill of the shooter, and the precision of the handgun. Accuracy is a measure of how close something is to its expected value (e.g. is a single shot in the bull, or the 9 ring). Precision is the measure of how closely multiple instances of something are relative to one another (e.g. a 1/2-inch grouping).

So, claiming that a handgun is "accurate" doesn't really say anything. The handgun itself is only capable of a certain degree of precision. I would hazard a guess that the precision of any given, modern handgun is well within the margin of error of the skill of almost any person holding the handgun.
    I was waiting for someone to bring up accuracy vs. precision!

I am very precise. Just low-left.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Accuracy of a handgun depends on the target, the skill of the shooter, and the precision of the handgun. Accuracy is a measure of how close something is to its expected value (e.g. is a single shot in the bull, or the 9 ring). Precision is the measure of how closely multiple instances of something are relative to one another (e.g. a 1/2-inch grouping).

So, claiming that a handgun is "accurate" doesn't really say anything. The handgun itself is only capable of a certain degree of precision. I would hazard a guess that the precision of any given, modern handgun is well within the margin of error of the skill of almost any person holding the handgun.

I was waiting for someone to bring up accuracy vs. precision!

I am very precise. Just low-left.

So, would it be correct to say the person is an accurate shooter and the gun is a precision weapon? The words may be synonymous, but it has always bothered me to hear or read that a gun is accurate based on one person being able to shoot small groupings at a distance of 5-7 feet. Precise produces a sense of mechanical or technical measurement, removing personal skill from the determination.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I don't consider myself a very good shot with a pistol, although the range where I shoot has only a 25 yd range for pistols. That makes it tough for a beginner.

I do best with my Ruger Mk I, and I have trouble keeping every shot on the paper (16" X 16") with my M&P 9.

I used to have an EMF Colt revolver in .45 that was a beautiful gun, but I could never hit anything with it. It was nice to look at, but I sold it.

James20

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 9, 2013
    Woodburn
    I personally think that any modern quality handgun is more accurate than any person. Yeah some guns shoot worse and are harder to shoot but they are still more accurate. I don't hit nearly as well with some guns as I do others. It's just the user.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So, would it be correct to say the person is an accurate shooter and the gun is a precision weapon? The words may be synonymous, but it has always bothered me to hear or read that a gun is accurate based on one person being able to shoot small groupings at a distance of 5-7 feet. Precise produces a sense of mechanical or technical measurement, removing personal skill from the determination.

Both/either term could be applied to the gun or the shooter.

Accurate = shot hits at/near point of aim

Precise = all shots hit in the same place

You can be fairly accurate (near the bullseye) but not precise (large group). You can also be very accurate (all shots in a ragged hole) but not accurate (the ragged hole is not near the 10-ring).

In the ideal world, you want to be both accurate (near the bulls eye) and precise (all shots land there).

I had a Marlin Model 60 that was accurate, but not precise. All shots would land around the 10-ring. However, the group would be all over that 10-ring (3 inches).

When I was dialing in a scope a while back, another .22 rifle was pretty precise (1" group). But, until I got the windage and elevation right, it was terribly inaccurate.

Aha! Found a picture:
    precision_accuracy.png

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    There are guns that are "easy to be accurate with" and guns that aren't. I am no great shakes with a handgun but there are some I do really well with. There are a couple that almost everybody does well with. I don't think these guns are truly any more accurate than any other. They just have a combination of traits, i.e. sights, grip, weight, etc. that seemingly make them easier to shoot accurately.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I personally think that any modern quality handgun is more accurate than any person. Yeah some guns shoot worse and are harder to shoot but they are still more accurate. I don't hit nearly as well with some guns as I do others. It's just the user.

That is not an accurate statement. To be precise, there are many people out there who can outshoot a given gun.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yes I have shot handguns that I would consider to be inaccurate. No it was not user error. Worst example was a recent product Charter Arms revolver. Neither myself or another experienced shooter could get the gun to hit a paper plate at 5 yards. The barrel must have been put into the frame wrong. Not a handgun but I had to send a brand new Thompson Center hotshot back to the factory because of a bent barrel. I had an M&P Pro Series that would not hold a group.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've fired a couple handguns that were quite inaccurate out of the box. They both had gross mis-alignments of the sights.

Don't confuse accuracy with precision. Both of these guns were very precise. They were producing groups of about 2" at 15 yards off a bench. The groups were about 6" from the point of aim.

output

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    NW Indiana
    As a general rule of thumb, almost any quality service pistol Glock, M&P, Sig, etc...is much more accurate than the average shooter is capable of attaining.

If you buy a $50.00 pistol are you really expecting maximum accuracy and reliability? There is a reason gun shop carry a bunch of different guns. Very few of us have the same taste and budget.

Top Bottom