• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cotter999

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Has anyone had any issues while purchasing a firearm recently. Either being delayed or denied for no reason? My brother went to buy a hand gun the other day. He has his carry permit. No felony's. The worst thing he has is a speading ticket. He was denied. Now he has to go throught he FBI and get finger printed. How can you be denied and still have a carry permit?

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Delayed ? or Denied? For the last 4 years I have been delayed every time except the last time I bought a receiver. I have a LTCH too,have for years,

cotter999

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    He was first delayed. Tehn got a call 3 days later by the gun shop telling him he was denied. He now has to be fingerprinted and sent in to FBI to protest.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    the NICS check is a more thorough check than the State of Indiana does for LTCH checks, therefore if there is something where Indiana does not check, NICS picks it up. I have seen it on occasion people with LTCH's be denied by NICS.
    It could be identity theft, it could be anything. What did NICS tell him when he sent his paperwork in for the appeal?

cotter999

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    He sent it in. Havent heard anything back yet. He has lived here and in Minnesota. The only thing he has ever done wrong is a speeding ticket. Doesnt make sense. Now I have a friend who is a felon and he just bought a gun this weekend. I think it is identity theft. It has to be.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I thought if you had an LCH you didn't have to go through the instant background check?

I think that USED to be the case in IN - but hasn't for the last several years.

There may be a few states where their license/permit counts instead of a NICS check.

-J-

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    Could be a "close match" on a name of someone who isn't able to purchase, either by name & DOB or SSN if he provided that. If it gets to be an ongoing issue, have him apply wth the AFT for a PIN (Personal Identity Number). This number will be used to immediately separate him from any other close matches that may be slowing his process.

Mitchell0481

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Crown point
    Could be a "close match" on a name of someone who isn't able to purchase, either by name & DOB or SSN if he provided that. If it gets to be an ongoing issue, have him apply wth the AFT for a PIN (Personal Identity Number). This number will be used to immediately separate him from any other close matches that may be slowing his process.

That's my thought. I know guys that have common names. Used to get delayed all the time. Got a PIN, no issues since.

mistap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Art. 1, Sec. 32
    I was denie on a rifle purchase at the 1500 a year or so ago. The dealer said that I was the third in a row denied...??

I did not file anything with the FBI or get fingerprinted. I have since completed several transfers without issue.

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    I was denie on a rifle purchase at the 1500 a year or so ago. The dealer said that I was the third in a row denied...??

I did not file anything with the FBI or get fingerprinted. I have since completed several transfers without issue.

If I were denied I would want to know the EXACT reason for the denial.

fallenangel1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    So if someone has a problem with delays/denials they should probably go through with the VAF and try to avoid this on any future purchases.

cotter999

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    It couldnt be a close match in name. When they deny you, they are running your soc. Delays could be a close match.

cotter999

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    He was speaking with the FBI and they would not give the reason. They only way they can 100% know it is him they are talking to is by fingerprints. So he had to go and get them done and submit an appeal. In a few weeks they will respond via the mail with an approval and what the problem was.

Top Bottom