• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So as we are all doing so much better than before since there are no more mean tweets and hurt little feelers. Watching the dollar lose value or at Least watching things cost way more than the bogus 8% inflation. Are you more inclined to make that new firearm purchase? Seems like while not gold or silver could one make the argument that yeah it might not hurt to diversify?

Only asking because I really want to buy that new 1911.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I try to be ready to take advantage of good pricing on ammo and components first. Then firearms, parts and related gear, all at sale pricing or the like.

Treating this time like it was normal could well be a huge problem for wants vs needs. If it's your 3rd or 4th 1911, might want to look harder at the buy decision? Figure how to keep those expensive eaters fed before investing in another?

Like any other time for concern, I would want to be stocked on self defense guns and everything related to using them. You just might have to...:tinfoil:

The other side of the issue is turning your investment back into a desired sellable item. Is the premo 1911 gonna sell or trade as easily as a Glock? As a case of .223, 9mm, better than bulk .22LR? As a pound of powder or 1k small pistol primers?

Another financial consideration is evaluation of if you are where you need to be on using your firearms. Training could well be a better investment than hardware?

Last edited:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I try to be ready to take advantage of good pricing on ammo and components first. Then firearms, parts and related gear, all at sale pricing or the like

Treating this time like it was normal could well be a huge problem for wants vs needs. If it's your 3rd or 4th 1911, might want to look harder at the buy decision? Figure how to keep those expensive eaters fed before investing in another?

Like any other time for concern, I would want to be stocked on self defense guns and everything related to using them. You just might have to...:tinfoil:

The other side of the issue is turning your investment back into a desired sellable item. Is the premo 1911 gonna sell or trade as easily as a Glock? As a case of .223, 9mm, better than bulk .22LR? As a pound of powder or 1k small pistol primers?

Another financial consideration is evaluation of if you are where you need to be on using your firearms. Training could well be a better investment than hardware?
    With out going into specifics I am well positioned in the training department. At this point you could say I am in kind of the continuing Ed phase.

And I hate to say it but I have purchased a three or four perhaps more dozen cases of range Ammo when Walmart was on their high Horse heading back up the mountain and clearance out all their handgun ammo.

I try to stay in the affordable range for me like $1100 or less and try to buy a quality brand, not usually anything in the Wilson Combat range .

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    I've actually been seeing some prices drop on things that interest me - in a few instances, below pandemic/Sloppy Joe-era pricing. MP5 clones, for example.

My buying habits have changed a bit in the last two years, but not because of inflation. Rather, due to supply changes (RIP Russian ammo).

Life's too short to dream about all the things you want if you can honestly afford a few of them.

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    I think with what is coming we are going to see prices on guns drop or stay the same, and ammo go up. Metal prices and shipping are not going to get any cheaper, and that will be passed to us. I was optimistic for $250/shipped cases of 9mm, but I don't think we will ever see that again. I just bought 4k rounds and it cost me almost $340/1000 after tax. I overpaid, but I was tired of not going to the range because my ammo supply was low. I paid a "stupid tax" for not buying more a couple years ago.

Once this inflation/recession actually sneaks up on us, many gun owners will be making quick sales to cover living expenses. I think ammo will keep its value better than guns. That's unfortunate because I hate to see anyone selling guns to make bills, but sometimes poor planning gives people too many guns, and not enough cash in the emergency fund.

I've never thought of guns as investments but I also lost 28% YTD in my retirement, so I would take this whole post with a grain of salt. Apparently the NASDAQ was NOT the place to keep my money this year! :rolleyes:

kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    I keep a stash of cash to take advantage of a buying opportunity for guns, ammo, and reloading supplies. National gun day is coming to Louisville Oct 1, I expect prices to be high from the big dealers, the small guys may be more reasonable and offer a deal

Top Bottom