it is bad enough that 22lr is missing, but what happened to the 30 carbine ???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I was hoping to find some Remington brand 30Carbine at the last Indy 1500, but no dice. I did see some other brands of 30 Carbine at the show, but the guys selling it said "good luck!" when i told them what I was looking for.
    On the other hand there are other brands of 30 Carbine available on the internet, but I'm still looking.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I thought .30 Carbine was hard to find pre-panic??? I was thinking about getting one summer of 2012 and ammo availability scared me away.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Why is 22LR so hard to find?

There are countless threads here about this. But here is the cliffs notes version:

Its cheap so everybody wants it. First, it gets snapped up by those panicked shooters who happen to see it and buy whether they need any or not just because it happens to be there. Then you have the jerkwads who have learned the truck schedules and show up and buy all they can literally before it can hit the shelf (while the rest of us do things like go to work). Sometimes they even call their friends to come help them buy it up because the store has a limit. They then turn around and sell it for double the cost online at places like this and other gun classified sites. And "we" buy it from them because we have no other choice if we want to shoot 22. (or in my personal case, I just start shooting other calibers)

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    And cheap 30 Carbine ammo dried up in about 1982, the last of the cheap stuff was being bought in 87 when I tried my ill fated journey into the 30 carbine world,

30 carbines have their merits but cheap shooting isn't one of them

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    It all depends on your definition of the word "cheap", but I'm with x10 on this...there hasn't been cheap 30 Carbine ammo on the market for a LONG time.

Fortunately, it can be reloaded at a reasonable price point, allowing those old guns to bark once in a while. :)

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Purchased many sleeves of 5,000 primers per sleeve a number of years ago for less than $40.00 a sleeve of 5,000, that's less than a penny a primer.

I cast my own bullets with free lead from the indoor range that I'm a board member of. I help to clean out the backstop.

Years ago I purchased pulldown powder from Jeff Bartlett, Welcome to Bartlett Reloaders - Jeff Bartlett for IIRC $10/$12 bucks a lb and spread the $20 dollar hazmet fee over 40 lbs. so total cost of a lb of powder came out to $10.50 to $12.50 per lb. There is 7000 grains of powder per lb. and being as I load 12 grains per round that comes out to $ .02 cents per round.

So I shoot 30 cal. carbine for a little less than $ .03 cents per round.

Now then I realize there is fuel involved in melting my bullets and I use white gas which is available here in No. Indiana Amish country from the pump for less that $5.00 a gallon. I usually purchase maybe 1 gal a year, more or less.

That pretty much covers it.

Oh Ya, I make my own lube from scrap bees wax available from a local bee keeper, mixed with candle was and mineral oil, works well for me, and I get NO Leading.

Last edited:

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Purchased many sleeves of 5,000 primers per sleeve a number of years ago for less than $40.00 a sleeve of 5,000, that's less than a penny a primer.

I cast my own bullets with free lead from the indoor range that I'm a board member of. I help to clean out the backstop.

Years ago I purchased pulldown powder from Jeff Bartlett, Welcome to Bartlett Reloaders - Jeff Bartlett for IIRC $10/$12 bucks a lb and spread the $20 dollar hazmet fee over 40 lbs. so total cost of a lb of powder came out to $10.50 to $12.50 per lb. There is 7000 grains of powder per lb. and being as I load 12 grains per round that comes out to $ .02 cents per round.

Now then I realize there is fuel involved in melting my bullets and I use white gas which is available here in No. Indiana Amish country from the pump for less that $5.00 a gallon. I usually purchase maybe 1 gal a year, more or less.

Oh Ya, I make my own lube from scrap bees wax available from a local bee keeper, mixed with candle was and mineral oil, works well for me, and I get NO Leading.
    I like your style

xM3RC1L3SS1x

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Southeast of Indy

Wow, you got this thing down

Top Bottom