• ...and so much more!
  • Lmo1131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2020
    east of the Pacific
    Glad to hear how it turned out.

I went through this about twenty years ago, except l did it on an emergency basis.

Symptoms had been building for months; lower a pain (especially after a ‘rich’ meal), chills, headache, etc. Then nothing for a week or more, and then another episode.

Episodes finally got more frequen, and lasted longer so l decided to see doctor. He located an area of acute pain (doing thump, thump thing they do with their hands on your belly) and he scheduled me for an ultrasound Monday morning; this was on a Friday morning.

Within fifteen minutes of getting home from the doctor’s office l was literally brought to my knees by waves of excruciating pain.

Long story condensed; ambulance drive to ER, five hours of testing to determine that it WAS my gallbladder, SIX hours in surgery (starting at 01:30) that started out as three little laparoscopic incisions but ended up with a 5” incision to remove what was left of my essentially disintegrated gallbladder. The surgeon later told me that it fell off in his hand, so closing up was more complicated than a ‘standard’ procedure.

Big dietary changes in my case, and some issues with bowl movements for a while. But all good in the end.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Glad to hear how it turned out.

I went through this about twenty years ago, except l did it on an emergency basis.

Symptoms had been building for months; lower a pain (especially after a ‘rich’ meal), chills, headache, etc. Then nothing for a week or more, and then another episode.

Episodes finally got more frequen, and lasted longer so l decided to see doctor. He located an area of acute pain (doing thump, thump thing they do with their hands on your belly) and he scheduled me for an ultrasound Monday morning; this was on a Friday morning.

Within fifteen minutes of getting home from the doctor’s office l was literally brought to my knees by waves of excruciating pain.

Long story condensed; ambulance drive to ER, five hours of testing to determine that it WAS my gallbladder, SIX hours in surgery (starting at 01:30) that started out as three little laparoscopic incisions but ended up with a 5” incision to remove what was left of my essentially disintegrated gallbladder. The surgeon later told me that it fell off in his hand, so closing up was more complicated than a ‘standard’ procedure.

Big dietary changes in my case, and some issues with bowl movements for a while. But all good in the end.

It's good that you mentioned the surgery time, I neglected to do so.

I've been told that if I get my gall bladder removed while everything is "normal" it will be done Laparoscopically. The actual surgery will take less than 30 minutes, with prep and recovery taking about 4 - 5 hours. Outpatient.

HOWEVER, should I need to it done while everything is inflamed and agitated then it goes to the full blown scalpels, deep cuts, and goes to what you referred to - many hours and probably overnight or more.

Thinking back I had no symtoms. Late Sunday evening right before bed I started getting cramps - bad. Took the Pepto Bismal and went to sleep. Three hours later woke up still cramping took Tums. 30 minutes later no change. Shower, brush teeth, off to hospital I go. I got my CT scan probably five (5) hours after initial symptom started.

My point is that we can't go by just my story. Everyone needs to be aware that they may have building issues, such as you did, or a gallstone that lodges causing instant inflammation, like in my case.

Another crucial issue to consider. If you have a significant other, going through this should give you some great sympathy loving when you're recovered. Don't pass on the opportunity to turn lemons into lemonade!:banana:

Regards,

Doug

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    1996 had cramps pretty bad, turns out it was diverticulitis. Rushed to emergency, cut some colon out and wore a colostomy bag for 3 months. Always fun and exciting times at the ER

Top Bottom