• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Well, surprise surprise my wife bought me a SWC mold for 45, I have most everything else (minimally) to cast using a 2 cavity, just wondering where you guys think the best "source" for buying lead is at?

I've seen it on ebay in ingots from recovered range lead, it's just I'm not to certain about the hardness of it.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    You can still get lead from a plumbing supply shop. It is sold in 25lbs ingots. Don't know the price. I haven't bought it in years. It is pure lead so you will have to add one pound of 95/5 solder to five pounds of lead to make it hard enough for bullets. It worked great for my 44 mag for years.

SWAMPMASTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Logantucky
    Well, surprise surprise my wife bought me a SWC mold for 45, I have most everything else (minimally) to cast using a 2 cavity, just wondering where you guys think the best "source" for buying lead is at?

I've seen it on ebay in ingots from recovered range lead, it's just I'm not to certain about the hardness of it.

If you ever are down my way Logansport I have several hundred pounds cleaned and ready to cast 1.00 per pound

Sagamore - One

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Near Bippus
    Just a brief word of caution; not all wheel weights are suitable for casting . Zink wheel weights are becoming more and more common and can be problematic, and frustrating.
    If you are just getting started you may want to purchase clean, fresh alloy from a reputable source such as Roto-Metals. If you feel confident in your ability to segregate the zinkers , try wheel weights. The large tire shop in the south end of Huntington has plenty at fluctuating prices.

1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    INGO classifieds. In my own limited experience having bought mixed wheel weights the zinc ones wont melt and will turn a yellowish color after the lead has melted and sat liquid for a few.

Top Bottom