• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Nothing good happens after 2am. My wife has us signed up to get these automated notifications of emergencies on the IU campus. Our phone started ringing about 4am this morning regarding this.

IU Student Sexually Assaulted At Gunpoint - WBIW.com / Local

I heard on the news this morning this is something like the 12th sexual assault in/around the IU campus this year.

Please have a talk with your kids!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    They walk around by themselves in the middle of the night and are surprised when this crap happens.

Yes they do. My step son works up there and used to work the night shift and he said it was amazing the numbers of young women he saw out that late at night. Bloomington ain't Mayberry. They like to think they've got small town charm and all but that town has a load of big city problems as well.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    I didn't realize walking alone at night was an invitation to rape. I acknowledge that Bloomington isn't safe, I lived and worked there for a long time and walked across campus alone at night often. I acknowledge that, given Bloomington's situation, walking alone at night is it a great idea. I guess I didn't realize that having bad ideas meant getting raped was your fault.

I find it fascinating that a forum dedicated to gun ownership, which should be populated by the paladin sheepdogs of modern American society, blame the victims poor decisions instead of saddling up horses and forming a hunting party. All these patriots here could rally and begin a campaign against IU to open up carry on campus, provide a welcoming culture to potential victims that could develop into training and preparedness, and try to get stuff done. You're probably right, though, it was the victim's fault.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I didn't realize walking alone at night was an invitation to rape. I acknowledge that Bloomington isn't safe, I lived and worked there for a long time and walked across campus alone at night often. I acknowledge that, given Bloomington's situation, walking alone at night is it a great idea. I guess I didn't realize that having bad ideas meant getting raped was your fault.

I find it fascinating that a forum dedicated to gun ownership, which should be populated by the paladin sheepdogs of modern American society, blame the victims poor decisions instead of saddling up horses and forming a hunting party. All these patriots here could rally and begin a campaign against IU to open up carry on campus, provide a welcoming culture to potential victims that could develop into training and preparedness, and try to get stuff done. You're probably right, though, it was the victim's fault.

I wasn't blaming the victim per se. But, having a little situational awareness and risk aversion should lead people to better decision making.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I wasn't blaming the victim per se. But, having a little situational awareness and risk aversion should lead people to better decision making.
    College students have been mostly sheltered all their lives and not exposed to the real world until they leave home for college. Colleges don't help the situation by trying to tell everyone that their campuses are "safe". Bad stuff happens and then everyone is shocked. It's a rude welcome to the real world for some unlucky kids.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Who's blaming victims? Teach your kids that not everybody loves you the way mommy and daddy do and a few will hurt you badly, if they can catch you in a vulnerable enough condition-- you know, like walking alone, on a dark campus, (a great many are also drunk/intoxicated), with very few people around to help you out, unarmed, etc. It's not their fault they get hurt. But teach your kids to avoid the behaviors that we hear about so often contribute to them becoming victims.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

We all talk about the importance of situational awareness and avoiding trouble. That doesn't go away just because someone is a college girl.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I'm not seeing anything in the story linked about her being out walking.
    It would be interesting to know if she asked the guy to identify himself before opening the door to him.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Nobody said that, in this case, she was.

Ok, maybe I'm not in the know on this but the linked news story simply says she opened her door to someone knocking ( someone I'm assuming she didn't know) , who then forced his way in.
    I'm assuming she didn't know the guy because the news report says only that she gave a physical description , no mention of her IDing him by name.

"
    The 22-year-old woman told police she heard a knock on her front door and when she opened it, a light-skinned black male pushed his way into her apartment and forced her into her bedroom at gunpoint where she was sexually assaulted.
    The man then fled the apartment"

Last edited:

YETB

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    Indy - West
    [h=3]22-year-old woman raped during home invasion near IU Bloomington campus[/h]Where did you get walking around alone? in her living room? Regardless - men assaulting women on campus should be met with an initiative for carry rights on campus.

If someone is carrying around campus - it's probably not a student- they are subject to punishment for that.

Knocks on the door at 3 am should not be opened.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    22-year-old woman raped during home invasion near IU Bloomington campus

Where did you get walking around alone? in her living room? Regardless - men assaulting women on campus should be met with an initiative for carry rights on campus.

If someone is carrying around campus - it's probably not a student- they are subject to punishment for that.

Winner, winner.......

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    FTA:
    The 22-year-old woman told police she heard a knock on her front door and when she opened it...

Don't do this. If it's at 3:00AM, don't do it, no matter who you are. If you're a single woman, don't do it, ever. (Well, except that Indy Roller Derby team member; she can do whatever she wants.)

At the very least: don't do it unarmed.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Ok, maybe I'm not in the know on this but the linked news story simply says she opened her door to someone knocking ( someone I'm assuming she didn't know) , who then forced his way in.
    I'm assuming she didn't know the guy because the news report says only that she gave a physical description , no mention of her IDing him by name.

"
    The 22-year-old woman told police she heard a knock on her front door and when she opened it, a light-skinned black male pushed his way into her apartment and forced her into her bedroom at gunpoint where she was sexually assaulted.
    The man then fled the apartment"

[h=3]22-year-old woman raped during home invasion near IU Bloomington campus[/h]Where did you get walking around alone? in her living room? Regardless - men assaulting women on campus should be met with an initiative for carry rights on campus.

Winner, winner.......

Fellas, I know this is INGO and we like to pick a nit and argue about it until we're blue in the face. But you're right. The story didn't say anything about her walking around by herself. Nobody hinted at that. If you'll review the posts, the story's link was posed, another poster mentioned that too many young women walk around and me and others agreed that does happen---didn't necessarily happen in this case --- but they put themselves at risk for it to happen.

Rarejewell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2015
    Metro Indy
    We don't need to teach women how not to get raped. We need to teach men NOT to rape. And teach women to avoid at risk stations if possible. But it is on the men NOT women to stop this behavior. As a woman I have every right to walk alone at any time and place I see fit. (Not saying that it is smart in all situations, but that that I would not have been at fault if anything had happened.) I went to a major university (Michigan State University), and I was not allowed to own a car, and the bus system stopped at 11pm. The campus was huge, and I had to work, and sometimes I didn't get off work until 3 or 4 am. So, I had to walk or get a ride if possible. We did have a buddy walking system that I used and volunteered with. Also the library didn't close until 1 am if I remember correctly. A woman walking at night is not an invitation, nor does it make it ok, or "she should have known better." She may not have a choice.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    We don't need to teach women how not to get raped. We need to teach men NOT to rape. And teach women to avoid at risk stations if possible. But it is on the men NOT women to stop this behavior. As a woman I have every right to walk alone at any time and place I see fit. (Not saying that it is smart in all situations, but that that I would not have been at fault if anything had happened.) I went to a major university (Michigan State University), and I was not allowed to own a car, and the bus system stopped at 11pm. The campus was huge, and I had to work, and sometimes I didn't get off work until 3 or 4 am. So, I had to walk or get a ride if possible. We did have a buddy walking system that I used and volunteered with. Also the library didn't close until 1 am if I remember correctly. A woman walking at night is not an invitation, nor does it make it ok, or "she should have known better." She may not have a choice.

No. You need to teach both. It's not a woman's fault if they're attacked. They should be able to walk across campus unmolested just as I ought to be able to leave my wallet on a park bench and expect it to be there when I come back. We should be able to let our 8 year old kids go to the park and spend the afternoon playing. People shouldn't touch anything that does not belong to them -- another person or another person's property.

But evil, sin, and wickedness abounds in this world. Not everybody is going to teach their kids to not rob, rape, and assualt other people; even if every parent did, not every person is going to accept that lesson and live it. I don't like it that young kids or young women are targeted by evil people. I don't accept or condone any assertion it is the kids' or womens' fault. But we must take some responsibility for our own safety and the safety of our loved ones. We must equip them with the best tools we can so that they can stay as safe as they can when we're not there to protect them. We shoudn't assume some authority or somebody else will be there to protect us.

Top Bottom