• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    SO been searching around for a good IWB holster with leather backing and kydex shell. Found some $$$ and some less expensive and not sure where to spend my money.

Local gun show had some nice ones, but nothing for my gun (Sig P2022). He said he didn't have a mold for it and WOULD NOT mold kydex around my gun as it had a polymer lower and could damage it or cause it to release it's "natural oils". BS or is this true?

Looked at Aliengear holsters. Seems decent for the $30 but heard mixed reviews.

Local guy makes custom holsters and it priced around $50. He has no issue with molding off my gun, just needs it for 2-3 hours tops to get it all made etc.
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/T...536472983?id=403118536472983&sk=photos_stream

Any input on any IWB "crossbreed" style holsters that WON'T break the bank?!?

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    Buy a crossbreed. If you don't wan't to spend the 80 plus the time it takes to recieve it buy off of Crossbreed Holsters - Second Hand Holsters . I have bought two holsters and a belt off of there seconds sight and am very pleased with the quick and quality. Don't be afraid to buy from there second site. Most of them had leather blemishes, nothing wrong with the holster its self. Love my crossbreed.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Depends on if you want kydex on just the outside of the gun like Crossbreed or on both sides of the gun, also with a leather backing. If you like the latter concept, with which you get great and adjustable retention, check out Henry Holsters in Bloomington (PM amhenry). See this link for pics and a review of this style hybrid holster by esrice. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...review-henry-holsters-hybrid-iwb-holster.html Not as cheap as $30-$50, but it's money well spent, as they are well-made with quality materials and a lifetime guarantee. He has a lot of different blue guns he uses to mold them, and may have the P2022. You'd have to ask.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    I have a horsehide hybrid holster from White Hat which seems really nice. They make a base version (standard leather, not as many options) that run around $45-55 that will fit your Sig, or they have several other options similar to Crossbreed. My wait time was less than 3 weeks.

Affordable Hybrid Holster from White Hat Holsters - Basemax

Mills Tactical also makes a hybrid IWB holster for around $50, plus options. I don't have any experience with them yet, but I do have a Kydex OWB holster & mag carrier on order from them. His wait time said 4 weeks for mine.

IWB Hybrid Holster

Good luck with your search, and don't neglect a good belt either!

Last edited:

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    I have an amazing belt already! That was my 1st purchase after I got my Sig. Good sturdy bull hide belt. Will buy another because company replaced my Father-in-laws lost screws for free, and got a sweet deal on them to begin with!

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    Crossbreed holsters are very good. I wear one everyday and have several for my different guns. I knew someone that bought an Alien, but its leather was thick and did not form to his body as well as the crossbreed holsters do. I can highly recommend the Crossbreed super tuck.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I've said it many times before, when it comes to Kydex/leather hybrids, MTAC reigns supreme with Crossbreed a fairly distant second. The others are all various knockoffs of the Crossbreed but none compare to the craftsmanship of MTAC.

MTAC:
    MTAC.jpg

Crossbreed:
    cimg7097vu5.jpg

The difference is even more clear from the back:

MTAC:____________________________________________ Crossbreed:
    408376872.jpg

Last edited:

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I have several Aliengear holsters and will be ordering another for the M&P9c I just obtained. For the money you just can't beat them. Yes the leather is thick but I've had no problem with them forming to my waist. Just my :twocents:.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    I have an amazing belt already! That was my 1st purchase after I got my Sig. Good sturdy bull hide belt. Will buy another because company replaced my Father-in-laws lost screws for free, and got a sweet deal on them to begin with!
    :yesway: That was the most common advice I saw when searching around, so I thought I'd pass it along.

msk

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Chez, that MTAC looks nice. Do you find you need the extra kydex and leather on the back? I have the horse hide crossbreed and have no issues. Very comfortable.

OP, my recommendation is to get what you can afford and justify. I spent $$ to go with the supertuck but know I will have it for a long time.

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    I've said it many times before, when it comes to Kydex/leather hybrids, MTAC reigns supreme with Crossbreed a fairly distant second. The others are all various knockoffs of the Crossbreed but none compare to the craftsmanship of MTAC.

MTAC:
    MTAC.jpg

Crossbreed:
    cimg7097vu5.jpg

The difference is even more clear from the back:

MTAC:____________________________________________ Crossbreed:
    408376872.jpg

Boom... (that's from the truth bomb that just exploded :):)

Seriously though, i will preface this by saying i have never owned a Crossbreed (so this is not a knock at them or their quality)...but I carry a Glock 22 in an MTAC everyday for at least 12 hours a day.

The G22 is not a small gun at all (full size .40) and i can easily conceal it under a flannel/button up/loose tshirt with the MTAC

The belt makes a world of difference. I started carrying my MTAC on a cheapo leather belt (Old Navy?). After awhile, the weight of the firearm started to become noticeable and uncomfortable. Once i got a good belt, it was over...i cant even tell that its there anymore.

Last edited:

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Today I obtained an MTAC holster for my Walther PPS from a fellow INGOer. Up until this holster I have been using Aliengear holsters. The first thing I noticed is that it seems like this holster stays on my hip better than the Aliengear. The MTAC is smaller than the Aliengear I don't know maybe that has something to do with it. I really like it so far but when you get right down to it you can buy 3 Aliengear holsters for the price of one MTAC or a Crossbreed.

DIRTROAD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I have a crossbreed super tuck for my EMP very nice does tend to move from 3oclock to 4oclock not sure if its my belt , would look around a lot of nice ones out there and I had to wait 8weeks

IamLegend

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    All the way Southern Indiana
    Crossbreed fan here. The belt clips hold the holster in place and it does not move at all. Best clips on any holster I have run across. J hooks and alot of the other clips are crap imo. You can pull your pants down and take a dump with your Crossbreed and it and your gun stay completely secure.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    www.firearmholster.com I have been using a Harwell Clip N Go, didn't care for the Crossbreed type holsters at first, but just received my Firearm Holster this week, super comfortable with the fleece backing. Priced right too at $49 shipped, took me just under three weeks to get it. Can do IWB or OWB.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I'm going to back up the guys saying MTAC. I've owned a crossbreed and ended up buying the MTAC to replace it. There's nothing "wrong" with the crossbreed but the MTAC is just as comfortable and has more features. Retention on the MTAC can be adjusted with an allen wrench, on the crossbreed you have to heat the kydex up with a hairdryer to make any kind of adjustment (per their own instructions). Spare bodies on the MTAC can be very easily swapped out, so you're out $30 for the new Kydex mold and not replacing the entire holster if you want to change up carry guns, it takes about a minute to change spare bodies. Just changing the belt clip positions on the Crossbreed was difficult since you push the spikes into the leather. A thorough cleaning is much easier since you can completely remove the hardware. Finally, they're the same price and the MTAC's usually ship in a couple of days, I waited about 3 weeks for my Crossbreed.

Crossbreed makes some excellent holsters, but when it comes to dollar for dollar value Comp-TAC leaves them in the dust.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I have several Aliengear holsters and will be ordering another for the M&P9c I just obtained. For the money you just can't beat them. Yes the leather is thick but I've had no problem with them forming to my waist. Just my :twocents:.
    I agree, at first it took a day to get where I felt comfortable. Day two was night and day, felt good wore great. Can't complain.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Several of these holsters look like they have a lot of leather, Kydex, clips etc. to carry a small pistol like a Shield. Do people usually purchase this style when carrying a larger firearm?

I am a minimalist and I am buying a smaller concealable pistol. I don't want to "fatten" it up by having a holster that is 2X the size of the gun.

The M-Tac looks like it has less leather area than the Crossbreed, but it could be due to being different pistols for each one.

I have asked in other threads about the minimalist holsters that have one clip and just soft leather to cover the firearm like a Galco Tuck-N-Go IWB. Will these work well for carrying when I am out and about?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom