• ...and so much more!
  • Higginbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Columbus
    Hello,

I'm fairly new here, and have just recently purchased an M&P9c for concealed carry. I've been looking at different holsters, and need some advice on the difference between types of holsters. I've got several in mind, and would appreciate your thoughts on the advantages of kydex vs leather vs combination, and the style of "stacked" (clip on top of holster) vs spread out (clips on either side, a la Crossbreed).
    I've been carrying a Bersa Thunder pro ultra compact in a Cross breed holster, which I got a good deal on, and have found that reasonably concealable and comfortable. My details: 5'5", 33" waist. probably carry at around 3:00-4:00. Some examples of holsters I've been considering: Crossbreed super tuck, Galco Summer Comfort, Comp-tac CTAC. I mostly carry under fairly casual clothing, so while tuckable would be nice, it's not an absolute must. I also do quite a bit of manual labor while carrying, so bending, leaning, and sweating. A lot of sweating. Any comparisons on the comfort, durability, conceal-ability of different styles would be appreciated! I feel like I have found some that I like in each category, just not sure which category to go with. Thanks in advance!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Having the belt clips on the extremities of the holster will be more comfortable BY FAR than having the clip immediately on the other side of the pistol. Almost not even a fair comparison!

Can hardly go wrong with Crossbreed and/or Comp-tac. I'll also throw in: Henry Holsters IWB/Hybrid holster. They're Indiana-made (Near Bloomington) and he's an INGOer. Henry Holsters | Durable. Practical. Comfortable. A google search will also turn up his FB page. That's also an easy way to get in contact with him.

Something else to keep in mind for your plans to carry IWB: You'll need a good gun belt. You can get by with a "slightly less good gun belt" if you only carry IWB due to the compressive action holding things against your body. But you'll still need a good gun belt. Also note: good doesn't necessarily mean expensive. Look up the Daltech SuperBio belt for a right decent quality gun belt (again, made in Indiana!) at a very reasonable price.

Furthermore: you'll need larger pants. Simple to understand. Those hybrid IWB rigs take up a lot of real estate. Can add 2" to the waist.

Your new gun belt will also have to account for the added circumference.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I would check these out. https://www.n82tactical.com/ They also have lots of videos on youtube. The story behind the holster is pretty neat to watch. A friend just started wearing one and loves it, I just order one myself.
    I have one of these for my MP9c and it is pretty nice.

I also have an Old Faithful, which is like the CB that you assemble yourself.

They both are good choices. I prefer the N82 holster now, because I do not like the wideness of the CB type.

In the end though I usually carry OWB.

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I have an Alien Gear holster that I use on the rare days I CC. I think it's comfortable, and I like the thicker leather and that I can adjust the tension on the gun. And it's fairly cheap.

Higginbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Columbus
    Thanks all, for the input! I've now got a longer list to look at...
    In response to a couple points, I do have a nice Bullhide Belt (made in IN, I suspect in the same shop as Daltech, but not sure...), and supposedly I'll be getting a Maxpedition Liger in the near future...

I like the N8^2 concept. Does anyone know if it prints really bad when you wear it at 3:00-3:30? It looks like that "backing" would lift your shirt up, meaning it would have to be worn further around. Any experience anyone?

Also, with Henry Holsters, from what I could find it looks like he has a full kydex shell. Is that any less comfortable?

Thanks again for the advice. I'm compiling a list of all the pros and cons of different holsters, I'll upload it here when I'm done, if anyone is interested.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I bought an Aliengear, and it got sent back due to unsafe construction. Along the way promises were made and forgotten by managers, then emails were ignored when I reminded them they made the promises.

Its no comparison to a crossbreed. Crossbreeds arent cheap, but they are solid and VERY comfy. (I sometimes forget I am wearing my G23)

I'm not saying stay away from AG, just realize you get what you pay for compared to other higher priced holsters. I wont hesitate to buy another CB, but am leery of dealing with AG again.

ETA: This was my experience:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...509-1-aliengear-bipolar-customer-service.html

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I've got an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 2.0 and love it. It breaths better than leather, the belt clips are above-par compared to other holsters I've seen, and for $35 dollars the value blows Comp-Tac and Cross-Breed out of the water. Also a life-time warranty and you can send in the Kydex shell if you ever change pistol and get the new pistol shell for free.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The full kydex shell on the Henry:

It's comfortable for me. The leather backer really helps.

PLUS it doesn't introduce a fatigue point onto the front/outer thermoplastic (Henry uses Boltaron, not Kydex. Not a big deal in the grand scheme).

Having just half the holster bolted to the leather introduces a failure point on that front shell at those bolts. If you're going to be near Greenwood at any point in the coming weeks, I can let you examine a Henry Hybrid. I only have a crappy Old Faithful to compare it to - and it's not even assembled (because it's crappy)

-J-

dye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    NE Indiana
    CB supertuck. Spend the little extra coin to get the horsehide backing. Wear and carry for 6 mos, and it will mold and form to you, and your weapon, like an old baseball mitt or a pair of shoes. You won't be sorry.

Higginbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Columbus
    Once again, thank you everyone for the input! Indy Guy, thanks especially for the offer to see the Henry Holster, I'm very intrigued by those, and his website is, uh, spartan to say the least. If I head up that way I might just take you up on that!

So, after spending some time tracking down all your suggestions, I've got an even longer list of holsters.... but I seem to be hearing that the Hybrid, as typified by Crossbreed/aliengear/MTAC is most people's preference. I am still not quite sure my original issue is fully addressed, so let me rephrase it. If I were to buy a comp-tac holster (seems to be the agreed on Cadillac of holsters), why should I choose an MTAC, vs CTAC, vs Infidel (assuming that price is no object). Or, I could buy a Don Hume all leather, which is similar to the infidel. Any thoughts on that?

Also, I have a specific question for Chezuki, or any other MTAC Advocates. I've seen the side by side pictures, and I 100% agree that the MTAC appears to be the nicest built by far. Excellent craftsmanship, the leather on the back, very fitted cut to the leather, etc. It is obviously the best looking, and looks quite sturdy to boot. If it's between that and a cross breed, it seems certainly worth the extra $15. However, I don't actually care too much about the looks. What I really want is
    1) Concealability
    2) Ease of Access
    3) Comfort
    4) Durability
    5) Easy on the weapon (minimize scrapes, sweat, etc)

If I compare an MTAC with, say an Alien gear, (at 1/3 the price), they both have the exchangable shells, so that's no advantage. Comp-Tac clearly has the edge in customer service. Where am I going to see a difference in any of the above 5 points? Just curious. I'm not against spending the $80-90 for a MTAC or CTAC, I just don't want to do it just for a holster that just looks nicer, if I can get the same performance for a fraction of the cost.

Thanks again!

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I have a few friends with the AG & CT gear. The AG doesn't have as defined / well fit hand relief to get the better grip during the draw vs the CT gear.

Just my :twocents:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks all, for the input! I've now got a longer list to look at...
    In response to a couple points, I do have a nice Bullhide Belt (made in IN, I suspect in the same shop as Daltech, but not sure...), and supposedly I'll be getting a Maxpedition Liger in the near future...

I like the N8^2 concept. Does anyone know if it prints really bad when you wear it at 3:00-3:30? It looks like that "backing" would lift your shirt up, meaning it would have to be worn further around. Any experience anyone?

Also, with Henry Holsters, from what I could find it looks like he has a full kydex shell. Is that any less comfortable?

Thanks again for the advice. I'm compiling a list of all the pros and cons of different holsters, I'll upload it here when I'm done, if anyone is interested.

I like my n82 okay. Mine is with a shield though. I wear it at 4 o'clock. Unless you wear baggy shirts, even a shield will print in certain positions. I can wear it without getting bigger pants, but I have to loosen my belt a notch.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    I like my n82 okay. Mine is with a shield though. I wear it at 4 o'clock. Unless you wear baggy shirts, even a shield will print in certain positions. I can wear it without getting bigger pants, but I have to loosen my belt a notch.
    Same here but carry my G19 in my N82 at the 4-4:30 position. I love the extra backing and once it's in place, it doesn't move. I will be getting another one for my Shield also.

Top Bottom